The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys.

I might be acting stupid now, but I am sure that I saw on one of the forums (might not be on thehub) that you can convert a standard 2010 RS boxxer fork to an air/world cup spec, losing the coil spring and saving weight?

Can this be done? Has anyone done it before?

Thanks.

you can but you have to replace the left stantion and get an air cartridge, it does save weight but only like 100g or so. It costs allot so unless u want air for the feel its a waste.

you can but you have to replace the left stantion and get an air cartridge, it does save weight but only like 100g or so. It costs allot so unless u want air for the feel its a waste.

I sneakily left that bit out... Would have liked to have seen a blow-by-blow of that conversion!

Evening all. I'm sure someone is going to tell me to search the existing threads, but truth be told, I'm hoping that someone can save me the effort.

I'm quite interested in the downhill scene although I'm pretty sure that my skills are nowhere close to scratch. How/where does one even start doing this? Even more so considering that I'm not exactly a teenager any more?

All inputs (retain the right to veto that) appreciated

Edited by Captain Fantastic

Evening all. I'm sure someone is going to tell me to search the existing threads, but truth be told, I'm hoping that someone can save me the effort.

I'm quite interested in the downhill scene although I'm pretty sure that my skills are nowhere close to scratch. How/where does one even start doing this? Even more so considering that I'm not exactly a teenager any more?

All inputs (retain the right to veto that) appreciated

Take your MTB, find a slope that makes your nuts wanna winch themselvs bck into your body, take a breath, and go.

Then, once the bug's bitten, save up and get a decent burly bike. even an AM bike will suffice as a mini-DH bike.

the scene.. hehehee.

any way, many of us ride at Tokai, saturdays, sundays. keep your eyes peeled on this and other similar threads for guys announcing rides. Just come say hi, and ride with the guys. A very friendly bunch who even help fix XC trails! Many shuttle day announcements on FB via the contermanskloof MTB Trails page. Shuttle days at C'kloof are also announced there.

Riding with mates is almost always more enjoyable than starting out stone-alone. Lotsa tips and tricks you can pick up in a few sessions, all to help you achieve your goal of going down that hill as fast as your stones will allow.

Firstly, what bike do you have?

Edited by Capricorn

@Mayhem and manchillz.

Thanks I found some info on the net.

Seems I need the WC solo air spring and air top cap.

I managed to find part numbers for them, is it something I can get from SA supplier?

With regards to the fork stantion, apparently if you swop the right to the left, then there shouldnt be problems with damage from the spring? What do you think?

Also found a full conversion kit, retail for 100euro, made by Protone from Italy. Anyone heard of it before?

Anyone seen the Elka Stage 4 pressurized fork cartridge before? Coming from Motocross, it sounds so cool!

Would like to speak to someone who has had it done or ridden one.

the scene.. hehehee.

any way, many of us ride at Tokai, saturdays, sundays. keep your eyes peeled on this and other similar threads for guys announcing rides. Just come say hi, and ride with the guys. A very friendly bunch who even help fix XC trails! Many shuttle day announcements on FB via the contermanskloof MTB Trails page. Shuttle days at C'kloof are also announced there.

Riding with mates is almost always more enjoyable than starting out stone-alone. Lotsa tips and tricks you can pick up in a few sessions, all to help you achieve your goal of going down that hill as fast as your stones will allow.

Firstly, what bike do you have?

Lolz! Should have clarified....

@Mayhem and manchillz.

Thanks I found some info on the net.

Seems I need the WC solo air spring and air top cap.Cool. Go for it, if you REALLY wanna change it to the WC / RACE version

I managed to find part numbers for them, is it something I can get from SA supplier? Get it shipped in. Local suppliers = ballache to get this through, and will cost the earth

With regards to the fork stantion, apparently if you swop the right to the left, then there shouldnt be problems with damage from the spring? What do you think? Sounds cool. Just research it properly first, mate. Don't want to be faced with a marshmallow vs nun's tunnel situation, ya dig?

Also found a full conversion kit, retail for 100euro, made by Protone from Italy. Anyone heard of it before? Nope.

Anyone seen the Elka Stage 4 pressurized fork cartridge before? Coming from Motocross, it sounds so cool! Yeah, does sound cool! Looks as if it might be tuned for high performance conditions. Just make sure it suits your style of riding though!

Would like to speak to someone who has had it done or ridden one.

Well the biggest problem is that my bike is in Jo'burg...and so am I. Currently it's a Trek Fuel, but if I get involved in it more, I'd definitely consider getting something more appropriate

Well the biggest problem is that my bike is in Jo'burg...and so am I. Currently it's a Trek Fuel, but if I get involved in it more, I'd definitely consider getting something more appropriate

JHB? speak to patches, nolipoli, peaches. they'll hook u up in no time..