Brooks Saddle: Big, ugly, and oh-so-comfy!

RodTi

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the seat is great!!!Is it very heavy??PS: Lovely bike BTW!!!!!

Thanks Dave! The weight issue is, I guess, a relative question.

The one I have weighs in at 540 grams, which is obviously quite heavy, compared to the top-end plastic ones. But, then again, you could opt for the one with Ti rails, and bring that down to 420g's - obviously, expect to pay :(

You do get smaller models, like the Swallow, which shape is very similar to the modern-day saddles. They weigh much less.

I was very tempted to go with the lightest possible. I had a bit of a weight-weenie thing going at one stage... But then figured that if I'm going for comfort, it must be alles of niks. That and the fact that I'm no light-weight either!

The B17 is known for it's comfort, and is something like 15mm wider than the Swallow/Swift or B17 Narrow... Apart from getting used to that extra width when trying to get off the back on steep downhills, I'm really glad I went the comfort option!

I'll probably never sell this frame, and plan to convert it into a singlespeed. If I do, I'll buy a new Brooks for the new bike, and keep this one as is.

Throw in some Brooks bar tape, as suggested earlier, and the old Ti frame should look quite sweet!

Bottom line is, there's just something old-skool and right about it... Treat it, care for it with dubbin etc., and it will care for you...

Edited by RodTi

oh' date=' nice seat post by the way.... :-)

[/quote']

Ha ha! I was wondering if you'd put the two together...

It is a very nice seatpost, and is being well-used and enjoyed!!

Re-cycling rocks!

(Several, terrible puns right there...)

Edited by RodTi

Guys these Brooks saddles (seats) can be bought from Lynne at" Hello Again" in Cape Town, you can contact her on (021) 426 0242

Guys these Brooks saddles (seats) can be bought from Lynne at" Hello Again" in Cape Town' date=' you can contact her on (021) 426 0242[/quote']

That's what I said... :P

"I bought it in Cape Town, in a little, funky boutique clothing shop off Long Street, called "Hello Again"... 44 Bloem Street -  (021 4260242)... Think the lovely young owner's (Lynne?) husband/boyfriend is the chap that imports and sells them..."

Udxcob - do you have one?

Edited by RodTi

• 1 month later...

Just an update...Hello Again are not distributing Brooks saddles anymore but if you are interested the importers / distributers are in Cape Town can be found on

www.bikeandsaddle.com or 021 426 2870

• 5 months later...

Hey all

I have a Brooks Swift. It weighs in at more than an XC saddle should, but this thing is a dream and my bum is very, very, very happy. An exceptionally wet 4 hour ride one day helped to wear it in absolutely perfectly. Ya can't go wrong!

Will post a photo as soon as I can.

Mike

I don't understand why someone would buy a hard brown saddle for 3k

I can. After spending 1K on a Fizzik Gobi which broke after 3 months. Yes broke, seat pan snapped in half? What's that? Oh....I weigh 90 kg's.

Before with an SDG Grand Prix - also very comfortable but this saddle is trashed. Similar to the On One Bignose I think.

20100407_044243_One_One.jpg

After. OK so I've posted this before but I just love the look of this saddle! My ass loves it even more.

20100407_044338_On_One_5.jpg

In her happy place - Jonkershoek.

20100407_044455_Jonkies2.jpg

I think this description says it all: The B17 is our flagship model, ideal for long distance sportive touring, trekking and atb use. It has been on the market for over 100 years, being featured in as early as the 1898 catalogue . The model is available for gents and ladies (B17 S) in different versions: the B17 and B17 S Standard feature black steel rails, the B17 Special features chrome plated steel metalwork, and the B17 Titanium ? Both the B17 Special and the Titanium also feature hand hammered copper rivets.

Features:

?  Width: 170mm

?  Length: 280mm

?  Weight: 410g

This is not a XC saddle, this is a touring saddle. If you want to do the freedom trail get one of these.