Brooks Saddle: Big, ugly, and oh-so-comfy!

RodTi

After a few years of neglect :huh: :blush: , my Brooks B17 Imperial Standard was looking a bit worse for wear, and the rivets were rusting off, so the saddle was pulling forward.

post-2975-0-06293200-1491756696_thumb.jpg

post-2975-0-92748800-1491756698_thumb.jpg

Time for some care and improvements. I phoned the Brooks Agents in SA, Bike and Saddle in Cape Town, and spoke to Jaco about getting copper rivets, and some Proofride too. Two days later a parcel arrived with the rivets, and after watching a few Youtube videos on how to rivet copper rivets to leather, I set about repairing my saddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geneD2Xxy5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wXeWzO7y0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZtRrxsxxao

I first used a drill (4.5mm) to remove the rivets, and after punching the rivets out with a small punch. I scrubbed the underside and top of the saddle with saddle soap, to remove 7 years of gunk that had accumulated around the metal bits of the saddle. After it had dried the saddle got given a goodly layer of proofride on the underside and a thin layer on the top.

The next step was to rivet the saddle to the nose piece, First I tried using the method in the video, but it didn't seem to work for me. I placed the saddle with the rivet head down, and whacked the back of the rivet with a concave punch. Once the rivet had mushroomed, I turned it over, and with the punch in the vice, whacked the rivet head to shape it to the saddle, with no sharp edges.

The result, a much improved looking saddle :clap:

Before polishing

post-2975-0-62966400-1491756701_thumb.jpg

After polishing and mounted to the steel beast

post-2975-0-68064100-1491756703_thumb.jpg

Edited by deanbean

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is time for me to invest in a Brooks saddle for my hardtail. Bought a Spez Henge which is really comfy but has already developed play between the rails and saddle after a few months use. A Brooks would suit my steel hardtail quite nicely.

Brooks is the only saddle which was comfortable for me from the moment I fitted it.  Maybe I was lucky but it is the only saddle for me.

Failing which, if I ever have to go the Deanbean route I will switch back to Rolls.

Nice job Deanbean and good to know they  can be salvaged with parts available locally.

I have the 1990 spring one, on my 1989 Claud Butler. Norway to Cape Town in 92/93, was very comfy! Need to dust it off and ride it again!!attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice Spokey. 

Like the bike rack and suspension stem.

• 1 year later...

Saddle advice needed....

What is the recommended saddle width to go for on the Brooks (use will be on my MTB and my backside is fairly wide....)? 

Tom

I bought a Brooks to go on an old steel Road bike, and when I realised how comfy it was I moved it to my MTB. I will be doing my second Sani2c on it in a few weeks time and will not change!

I got mine from Steadler in Munich for 80 Euros.

I bought a Brooks to go on an old steel Road bike, and when I realised how comfy it was I moved it to my MTB. I will be doing my second Sani2c on it in a few weeks time and will not change!

I got mine from Steadler in Munich for 80 Euros.

Which one did you get?

Tom

Saddle advice needed....

What is the recommended saddle width to go for on the Brooks (use will be on my MTB and my backside is fairly wide....)?

Tom

Hi Tom, mines a B17 imperial. Don't know the width, they come in one width, I think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Tom, mines a B17 imperial. Don't know the width, they come in one width, I think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Appreciated!

B17 is wider than the B17 Narrow - iirc something like 15mm. 

I have B17's on all three my bikes, wife has B17 Narrow on hers.

Actually, it's 24 mm difference in width between the B17 Standard and Narrow - 175mm v 151mm.

Rather make sure before you buy...

Actually, it's 24 mm difference in width between the B17 Standard and Narrow - 175mm v 151mm.

Rather make sure before you buy...

Thanks!

Currently on a Specialized Romin Evo 168mm, If I remember correctly, my sit bones are 147mm apart, so B17 Standard sounds like the one to try.

Tom

must be a hub first!!

i've read up to page 4 and...  we're still on the topic of saddles, nobody slammed the bar-ends, not a single comment about those 26" wheels...  what's gone wrong with you people!

must be a hub first!!

i've read up to page 4 and...  we're still on the topic of saddles, nobody slammed the bar-ends, not a single comment about those 26" wheels...  what's gone wrong with you people!

...waiting until Friday.

must be a hub first!!

Well if you also dug around in the red sea area you may find scrolls too...

The OP was from 2009.