Do you cycle to work and back daily?

Konaman

I cycle to work 3 - 4 times a week depending on my training schedule.

I cyled through winter so most the time I left in the dark (and exrtreme cold). I usually took the shortest route (17km) to work. from next month I will be leaving a bit earlier in the morning to get extra distance in.

In the afternoons I vary my routes, so I can do anything between 17 - 60km on the way home. It all depends on my training program.

Luckily we have showers at work, so I have no issues with cycling to and from work. On my off days when I take the car to work I take a fresh load of clothes for the next week.

I cycle to work mainly to save petrol, but it also gives valuable training time. I save almost R800 a month on petrol.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people on the hub cycle to work and back daily?

Don't know but I do cycle to work as much as possible.

How far do you ride daily?

I live about 10 km from work.  In the morning I do one of three routes:

1) 10 km straight to work - about 23 minutes

2) 25 km loop to work - about 52 minutes

3) 48 km loop to work - about 107 minutes

In the afternoons I normally go straight home.

How long does it take you?

See previous answer.

What do you when it rain?

Phone the wife to come pick me up.  Also keep an eye on the weather radar to plan my trip home accordingly.  I simply will not share wet road with 1000 of motorists who already wants to take you out!!

Do you shower at work?

Yes, have spare set of shower goodies at work.  Pack my work clothes everyday in my back pack.

What are the views of the other people at work - you are mad?

Who cares, they are not paying my car maintenance and fuel.  Besides, I am not on this planet to please them.  What I do know is that don't walk around with a BMI of 200 + like some of them do smiley2.gif

I like to ride on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

In the mornings I go straight to work.  8km
Afternoons I'll try and get away early and do a 30km loop to home.

15min is the best time directly to home, skipping robots, skipping stop streets, TT all the way.WinkBig%20smile

I don't understand the question?  Rain?  Fat can't melt in rain, so I am save.......ride home or do intervals.....Intervals in the rain is the best.....you don't get hot and sweaty.....

Do you shower at work?

Nope.  That is why I tend to go directly to work in the morning.  The hardcore training is done in the afternoon going back home.

Even if I did not ride to work, I would still be classified as "mad and stupid"  Wink

During the past 5 years at my current job I got 5 other people, including one of my bosses to cycle to work.  Clap

Dunno but it should really be just about everyone the posts on here

20km door to door, usually ride home via Melkbos in the evenings (41km) and on a training morning (tue-wed-thu) I go via Chappies (80km)

35-40mins if I take the direct route (20km) and anything up to about 3 hours if I go do the scenic ride up Chappies.

Mostly ride, there's a couple of day when I've woessed out but I ride most days, if the weather nasty I do the roadified MTB, otherwise the commute bike and when Killarney is going proper, I ride into work on my race bike and then ride Killarney on the wed evening.

Do you shower at work?

Virgin Active, good for one thing...... shower!!

Referred to as Lance in the office, can't think why....

I've been commuting for the last 6 years and 4 of those where into central London in the UK. Get descent lights and warm clothing and a couple of caps that go over your ears and you can ride in just about anything mother nature throws your wayClap

Ok, so this all sounded like a great idea and I tried it this morning...Left Kyalami at 6h30, got a flat in Witkoppen road ...fixed it and had a shower at virgin Active Randburg. Rode 2 kays to work in Strijdompark in a jean pant! Arrived 10 mins late.... phew!!!

It was a bit chilly when I left and I'll have to leave a bit earler...but its fun and I'm gonna try make it a habit now. Thanks guys!

Does anyone here commute between Somerset West (Steynsrust / Helderview area) and Stellenbosch (Technopark) OFFROAD?

I have been scouting some routes and you can pretty much ride most of it on gravel through farms and vineyards. I'm keen to give it a go but the motivation of a partner in crime would help.
XTC12009-08-25 01:07:14

Camo - liked your pics - how about this for a ride?  For a detailed description and explanation take a look at http://geotrails.blogspot.com 

1)  Along the Dolosses Bike path beside the N2 (Port Elizabeth)

20090825_011922_Along_dolosses_.jpg

2)  Coming off Brighton Beach onto the bike path

20090825_012022_Sign_comp.jpg

3)  A fellow commuter on the bike path

20090825_012107_Not_only_one.jpg

4) Approaching Bluewater Bay

20090825_012217_Along_N2_comp.jpg

5) Crossing the Zwartkops on the N2 bike path crossing and heading for towpath bike route

20090825_012353_Crossing_Zwartk.jpg

i want to cycle to my school in Cape Town but ihave to use Main rd to get there and its dangerous. itsonly 8km. is thaConfusedt far?

Camo - liked your pics - how about this for a ride?  For a detailed description and explanation take a look at http://geotrails.blogspot.com 

1)  Along the Dolosses Bike path beside the N2 (Port Elizabeth)

20090825_011922_Along_dolosses_.jpg

2)  Coming off Brighton Beach onto the bike path

20090825_012022_Sign_comp.jpg

3)  A fellow commuter on the bike path

20090825_012107_Not_only_one.jpg

4) Approaching Bluewater Bay

20090825_012217_Along_N2_comp.jpg

5) Crossing the Zwartkops on the N2 bike path crossing and heading for towpath bike route

20090825_012353_Crossing_Zwartk.jpg

Unfortunetly you ride back in the avie - it'll be one tough course with the SW'er blowing. (I work at the new harbour) hence I've stayed off the N2 during working hours

What do you guys do with work clothing, keep sets at work when driving in on Mondays/ Fridays or use a back pack?

I do, but not daily. I aim at twice a week, but I have been slacking of late.

Door to door is about 13km, but tend to add on, normally about 20km one way. Pretty much ride the spruit to and from work, on at Parkhurst and off at 12th.

Can become a bit boring but I never feel bad riding past lines of cars on Republic and then up 12th!

Heading into work about 45-50mins and home is around 70mins (leg dependent)

I put my cloths into a plastic bag inside my pack and ride home.

Do you shower at work?

Yup, we have showers at the office so it's no problem.

Our office is quite active in general so there are 4 other guys in my dept who cycle in every now and again

What do you guys do with work clothing' date=' keep sets at work when driving in on Mondays/ Fridays or use a back pack?[/quote']

Luckily for me my bro-inlaw works for the same company, so I drop my work clothes at his place and he takes them for me in the mornings

Only back home twice a week...about 20km. Need to fit the swimming and running in as well smiley17.gif long rides over the w/e.

Does anyone here commute between Somerset West (Steynsrust / Helderview area) and Stellenbosch (Technopark) OFFROAD?

I have been scouting some routes and you can pretty much ride most of it on gravel through farms and vineyards. I'm keen to give it a go but the motivation of a partner in crime would help.

Hey XTC1

I've also heard about this route...would like to try it out as well...

PM me your details then we can settle on a day & time...

I've been doing the road version every now and again - but would much prefer a offroad route...

I'm always game for a mate to join me riding...

What do you guys do with work clothing' date=' keep sets at work when driving in on Mondays/ Fridays or use a back pack?[/quote']

I use a backpack.  Have clothes, laptop and lunch in it.  Extra belt and shoes permanently at the office.

I wish I could commute, I now self employed contractor, so work from home and drive  bukkie all day.

I used to commute in London, what a blast, got very fit, and saved loads of money, knew london like the back oof my hand!!  (thats how I started cycling)

However, being self employed isnt to bad, like today, I am pretty much done for the day, so off for a nice long ride, cheers!!!!