Discovery suspends Basso !!!!!

Man with no name

No' date=' sure, I agree with you 101%, the signing of Basso (who is tainted goods, in my opinion) was heavily critisised by the pro tour team management and a few riders (Voigt been one) - but Discovery flashed the cheque book a bit early here and may live to regret it.

I think most teams have abided by the unwritten rule of "not signing riders involved or under any investigation" but of course there are always those (like Discovery) with deep pockets who think its okay to fight it out in court later or ever.

With ASO now standing firm asa well, these riders may find it hard to get into races, and then "no team will want them."

[/quote']

I agree with you . I  think Discovery are going to regret there signing of Basso....now Disco pulling out at the end of the year could make it hard to find a financial backing.

But I feel for all these riders if some or any are innocent. I cant see it being so difficult to take DNA sample from all these riders which most of them agreed to do months ago , even Basso said he was willing ( a couple of months ago when being sign by Disco) ,compare it to the blood bags found and close this stupid case.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paolo Bettini for one, was very, very vocal in his resistance against giving DNA samples....

Does he have something to hide????

Paolo Bettini for one' date=' was very, very vocal in his resistance against giving DNA samples....

Does he have something to hide????
[/quote']

Yes, its may be interesting.Big%20smile  

DNA matching is shrouded a bit, 101%, as it can have personal "rights" implications, basically the athlete will have to give consent to the DNA sample been used to "match" - labs or other parties will not have access to this information unless of course there is consent.

Here the teams need to make it a condition of employment.

Basso did give consent for a DNA sample, but there were conditions involved, one of which was that the sample could only be used for "future" matching and there was no consent to the sample been used for (eg) in the Puerto case.

However I am not even sure if he has "given" the sample anyway.Giving consent to having a sample taken, and actually taking the sample, are very differant animals, its easy to use delay tactics and hope it blows over before you get called to task.

widget2007-04-26 05:49:08

On the topic off dope' date=' those ones quoting Pantani should think twice...
He wouldnt have said those things with out the help of DRUGS.

HE was no HERO...He was a COKE junkie long before he died of an overdose.He fell in to a pit of denial. He tried to go without dope(giro 2003) but could not perform and was mentally cracked. Praising druggies is wrong, they should be ignored and DIE, they give no glory to our sport(all)...they are an insult to the ones training everyday.They scare sponsors away!!!!!
SCREW EM Angry
[/quote']

No thanks for the underhanded stab in the back Thumbs%20Down, but welcome to the hub, anyway.

If you want a clean sport, watch ballroom dancing. All the top riders dope. Lance doped (his 1999 pee tested positive for epo) The local SA pros dope. Some of the local vets dope. Some of our u/16 riders dope. Yes, Pantani died of a drug overdose, tragic. The riders he competed against (Ulrich, Virenqe from Festina etc) were doped up as well.

I still like Pantani and enjoy cycling, while you enjoy watching the ballroom.
Christie2007-04-26 06:29:02

If you want a clean sport' date=' watch ballroom dancing. [/quote']

LOL @ christie - en hier het ek altyd gedink jy is die ernstige ou @ TCSVets

Some of the local vets dope. 

Ouch--> Christie hiehie There's a couple of special people in our team for sure' date=' but no one is stupid enough to dope, of that I'm sure. Clean Green anyone?

I for One support ASO wholeheartedly, as they are the only ones with the balls to make a stand. They are incidentally also the ones that stand to lose the most, should people (Spectators / Sponsors, etc, etc) turn their back on the Tour, and therefore are fighting tooth and nail to get the riders to clean up their act, or refuse them entry....  

Crux - its the TDF, they don't need these losers. Open up that race for one year to teams who are willing to submit to DNA testing etc, see how quickly the others clean up their act.

Its sad that we are surrounded by dopers. Doping on the international scene is one thing, but riders who have to dope to compete in SA are a real losers and should find another sport.

(not ballroom though, all the testosterone supplements in close proximity to females will have a negative impact on concentration, and make it hard to dance properly)

Sal ook graag Christie wil hoor daai een verduidelik!!!

Sal n ou dan behoorlik kan klim?????

Ek weet nie, Christie is seker maar bang vir die top tube??

Miskien like hy dit om uit die saal uit te dans......Confused
Man with no name2007-04-26 08:03:44

No thanks for the underhanded stab in the back Thumbs%20Down' date=' but welcome to the hub, anyway.

If you want a clean sport, watch ballroom dancing. All the top riders dope. Lance doped (his 1999 pee tested positive for epo) The local SA pros dope. Some of the local vets dope. Some of our u/16 riders dope. Yes, Pantani died of a drug overdose, tragic. The riders he competed against (Ulrich, Virenqe from Festina etc) were doped up as well.

I still like Pantani and enjoy cycling, while you enjoy watching the ballroom.
[/quote']

..........Quite amazing how accepting the public are, dont you think??

Pantani, was an enigma, probably one of the finest athletic talents of the time, but allowed himself to delve into the darker side of the sport and from there, there was no return. 

Doping is one issue, but its just a small part of the bigger picture, its mainly the deciet and lies that ruins a riders career.

David Millar admitted his "mistake" (okay after he was gently persuaded to do so by a few hours in police custody) served his time and is doing fine back on a pro team. The public are very forgiving, they just want to hear the truth.

Compared to an "air head" like Tyler Hamilton who lied through his teeth and drove his public and professional support away with his antics, David has come back strongly with as much support as ever before. 
widget2007-04-26 08:29:11

Wonder waar is Christie nou ,een oomblik praat hy nog van hoe n ou sal sukkel om met n girl te dans op te veel Testosteroon agv van sy hormone wat nie so lekker is nie ,en die volgende oomblik verlaat hy die hub!!

Seker maar bietjie gaan Dans???Big%20smile

Hey, had work to do! I must say I have always wondered how guys like Landis handle 7x normal amount of testosterone for a guy wearing cycling shorts most of the day around those podium girls Evil%20Smile. Perhaps that is why those polish cyclists in that pic on the other thread about the black vs red shorts look so er, how can I put this, ... outstanding?Exclamation

Widget, I wish for a dope free sport. I hate this wondering about who is clean and who not, and the pathetic excuses they come up with. I dont think it is realistic to think the sport is getting cleaned up yet, the doping culture is too ingrained  over many years. I believe they all dope, Ulrich got caught and got nailed. Lance got caught, but got away.

btw vulgar, Pantani never tested positive for dope like Lance for example, he had a hematocrit level above 50. This is not impossible to occur naturally, (like Cunego, who has a natural hematocrit level above 50). Sadly, Pantani probably doped like the rest of the pros, but lets get the facts streight here. 
Christie2007-04-26 11:20:34

Hmm, they also found a syringe in Pantani's hotel room at some point, if I remember correctly. Clean? No.

About Millar: I dont think he is clean now. Didnt they find a syringe in his house as well after his doping ban? His excuse was that he was keeping it as a reminder or something?

Hmm' date=' they also found a syringe in Pantani's hotel room at some point, if I remember correctly. Clean? No.

About Millar: I dont think he is clean now. Didnt they find a syringe in his house as well after his doping ban? His excuse was that he was keeping it as a reminder or something?
[/quote']

I am not aware of that issue, sounds quite bizarre.

At the end of the day, you are probably right, I am sure there is a certain amount of systematic doping going on, but as long as it remains within certain testing criteria it will be considered acceptable.

I am also very sure that athletes on the top level of the sport like the Pro-Peleton know what an athlete is capable of, and when they see someone exceeding normal boundaries, they have to know there is a possible doping answer.

Simoni, was convinced Basso was doping last year at the Giro and said so, (in a rather veiled way - calling him extraterrestial) of course everybody attacked him for saying so, but at the end of the day, "look who is laughing up his sleeve and saying I told you so now" - these guys are not stupid, they know what their main opponant is physically capable of.

Everybody in the peleton was quite incredulous that Landis managed to ride away solo, they know what it takes and most were quite amazed, but of course, now we hear how it was done, it sort of falls into place.

Doping will never go away, but as long as it remains controlled within certain criteria, it is all anyone can ask for.

widget2007-04-28 02:18:52