GARMIN EDGE 305 Problems

Li Mu Bai

I even referred avnic to those well documented battery connection documents and a U.S tread I found with guys having the same problem, and still they seemed/pretended to be unaware of this problem.

For customer statisfaction and retention, Garmin should have come to the party to replace units that are not up to standard, it is their own design fault after all!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I even referred avnic to those well documented battery connection documents and a U.S tread I found with guys having the same problem' date=' and still they seemed/pretended to be unaware of this problem.

For customer statisfaction and retention, Garmin should have come to the party to replace units that are not up to standard, it is their own design fault after all![/quote']

That's a typical South African approach to a problem...... If you ignore a problem long enough it is bound to go away, or nobody will care after a while and just shut up and accept it as par for the course.

I even referred avnic to those well documented battery connection documents and a U.S tread I found with guys having the same problem' date=' and still they seemed/pretended to be unaware of this problem.

For customer statisfaction and retention, Garmin should have come to the party to replace units that are not up to standard, it is their own design fault after all![/quote']

the customer get (nearly)screwed all the times...

Try fix it yourself?http://blog.mtbguru.com/2008/11/06/surgery-on-the-garmin-edge-305/

Great post from mtbguru!

Since this problem mostly occurs out of guarantee period, I dont see a problem doing this   smiley4.gif

Who else has been experiencing problems with the Garmin Edge 305?

It seems from the previous thread that Dirty Twin and myself both have had our units go DEAD after plugging it into the usb charger/pc. Mine ususally takes 24 hours to reset itself' date=' but then needs to be charged again, and works right up to the next download after which it cuts out. Rather disconserting as you cannot trust the unit to deliver when you need it. Lost my use of it in day 2 at this years Sani2C.

Been to Avnic, they want me to pay for a new unit, although it seems my problem is not unique.

[/quote']

Had exactly the same problem and know of other people with the same problem, sometimes if you hold in all the buttons it resets and comes on. Had mine sent away for a few months and now it's fixed.

Try fix it yourself?http://blog.mtbguru.com/2008/11/06/surgery-on-the-garmin-edge-305/

Great post from mtbguru!
Since this problem mostly occurs out of guarantee period' date=' I dont see a problem doing this   smiley4.gif [/quote']

Hmm, yah, I enjoyed reading it. Just shows virtually everything can be repaired with some thought. 

I have used my 305 for more than two years with no issues, but should it start switching off I will most certainly give the repair a try, what do you have to lose.?

I had a similar issue with one of my scuba computers, after a lot of searching I found a repair similar to this on the net, tried it out and it worked perfectly and the computer is still working fine today.

Apparently Garmin changed the design of the battery connector about 18 months ago. The battery is the back portion of the case and it used to connect to the front part through a contact strip. With vibration the strip loses contact and the unit turns off.

I believe the newer design now has the connector hard wired to prevent the problem occuring which is basically what is done in the DIY fix above.

I had exactly the same issue about a year ago.  I sent Avnic the links to the types of blogs already referenced.  The one thing that may help is to use the rubber spacer between the bike mount and the stem / handlebar.  It does help a little with vibration, but, is not the ultimate answer.  Avnic repaired the unit even though it was well out of warranty.  However, over the last few rides, the unit has been doing it again.  I will send it in to Avnic again.  They have not dissapointed me yet, so lets hope they come to the party.  The Edge is a fantastic unit and I would certainly get another!  Its better than anything else out there.  As a matter of interest, I had a Polar prior to the Garmin - the 510.  It was more often with Polar than on my bike!  I figured Garmin would be a good GPS but poor HRM.  On the contrary, the Garmin has excelled in the HRM area and has outperformed the Polar!  Pity about the gremlins with vibration.

I had an Edge 305 and found that pressing the Lap and Mode then the

power button worked.

Mine was also one of the earlier ones where the battery connection was

also dodgy. I got one replacement, but had to buy the next. As soon as

the 705 came out I dumped the 305 and haven't looked back.

The 305 is dodgy, the 705 a dream...

I had exactly the same issue about a year ago.  I sent Avnic the links to the types of blogs already referenced.  The one thing that may help is to use the rubber spacer between the bike mount and the stem / handlebar.  It does help a little with vibration' date=' but, is not the ultimate answer.  Avnic repaired the unit even though it was well out of warranty.  However, over the last few rides, the unit has been doing it again.  I will send it in to Avnic again.  They have not dissapointed me yet, so lets hope they come to the party.  The Edge is a fantastic unit and I would certainly get another!  Its better than anything else out there.  As a matter of interest, I had a Polar prior to the Garmin - the 510.  It was more often with Polar than on my bike!  I figured Garmin would be a good GPS but poor HRM.  On the contrary, the Garmin has excelled in the HRM area and has outperformed the Polar!  Pity about the gremlins with vibration.

[/quote']

I was given the same BS about vibrations. It really seems to be a

crappy design flaw on the battery connections...

Although I had my fare share of problems, I still believe it is worth having. I don't think you are going to have less problems with other products with the same features.

I think the worst of it all is that when you go to Avnic, they pretend that your problem is unique, knowing full well that what you are describing has happened to countless other people. Ultimately I suppose it is to get you to pay the extra R1000 for a replacement, rather than them owning up to a design flaw and replacing it free after the 1 year warranty period has ended.

Polar has its own unique issues, BUT I must say the service from them was always great, repaired without question, and back on your bike. at least they offer a 2 year warranty.

I am on to my 4th Edge 305. I have not had problems with it switching off during riding but not charging and not switching back on after a couple of months everytime. To there credit Avnic have replaced it free of charge everytime. It does take a couple of weeks, they claim they are trying to repair it. Which is BS in my opinion. The last time I asked if I could upgrade to the 705 and pay the difference and got firmly told to sell the 305 and buy a 705.

Not what you would expect as a loyal customer. I own 2 Forerunners and a Quest.

Just order a new Forerunner from Amazon and all in it cost me under 1500ZAR. A lot less then Avnic will sell them to you for.