GARMIN EDGE 305 Problems

Li Mu Bai

Who else has been experiencing problems with the Garmin Edge 305?

It seems from the previous thread that Dirty Twin and myself both have had our units go DEAD after plugging it into the usb charger/pc. Mine ususally takes 24 hours to reset itself, but then needs to be charged again, and works right up to the next download after which it cuts out. Rather disconserting as you cannot trust the unit to deliver when you need it. Lost my use of it in day 2 at this years Sani2C.

Been to Avnic, they want me to pay for a new unit, although it seems my problem is not unique.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with full battery power, my unit kept switching off midway during a ride. Switch it back on and 3min later same thing. You have know idea how frustrated I got!

After weeks of arguing with Avnic, they replaced my unit, seems like plain bad engineering. They did not account for the amount of vibration these units are exposed to!

If your unit is two years or older, then you can expect this to be happening, which of course is out of the guarantee period, they expect you to pay for replacing the unit even if it is a bad design fault on their behalf!

I have the same thing happen with my 305 unit where it switches off mid ride.  Took it to Avnic and all they did was clear the memory and give it back saying its fixed but it still occurs. It must be the vibrations as it does not cut out when used on my indoor trainer.

I've had my 705 for around 10 months and have never had an issue, except for last week when the unit switched off for no reason whatsoever. Turned it back on 30 seconds later and its been functioning properly ever since.

Will have to keep an eye out and watch it.

The Thug2009-09-21 02:08:21

I had some down load problems where Garmin's software does not "see" my Edge 305 BUT SportTracks read it no problem?? this is not good news at all ...more problems... and the techservice of garmin where i mailed the corrupted files to is not good at all both times got a standard form to delete those file etc etc tried everything but no luck.....and it is not if they come cheap??

@Help.Me. - I had the same prob with my 305, where ST does not detect the device. Ended up being a conflict with Virtualbox or VMWare, depending which one was running.

Stopped that - no more issues - maybe you have something running that holds the USB port?

@thread - I have not yet had those issues where it switches off mid ride or stops charging - I am either lucky, or I ride like a pansy!

Had my 305 for a year now and has never switched off as described. Also had some initial problems connecting to PC but once I downloaded new driver its worked everytime.

Ours also just packed up one evening. Downloaded our weekend ride, and the follwing night when I wanted to save a track onto it, zipp, nothing, wouldn't switch on. Guys at Garmin couldn't gix, although I don't think they even tried. Just offered us a new for R1000.

What really bugs me is that although it was out of gaurentee, we have hardly used this unit. For all the money we've spent, I don't think I'll ever buy a garmin product again.

As far as I remember from all the discussions with Avnic, there was a hardware upgrade done on the 305 about a year ago, so if your unit is of the newer type you "should" not be experiencing the switching off problem.

They tried convincing me my unit was fixed after reinstalling the firmware, I asked them a 100 times if someone put the unit on a bike and went for a test ride on the road or mountain, not a stationary. "Absolutely, the techi had it on his bike riding to the office every day this week without a problem."

Needless to say when I tried it of course, 3km into the ride it happened again and again and again!

I'v ehad the same problems with my 305 where it switches off by itself in the middle of a ride.

I took it to Avnic, they reloaded the software, but it still switches off from time time time. Sometimes it will be ok for a few weeks/months and then one day it will switch off 3 times in a row and then it will come right again.

I've also had intermittent problems where the Sport Tracks software won't see my unit. I just change the USB port and then it's fine again.

Ours also just packed up one evening. Downloaded our weekend ride' date=' and the follwing night when I wanted to save a track onto it, zipp, nothing, wouldn't switch on. Guys at Garmin couldn't gix, although I don't think they even tried. Just offered us a new for R1000.

What really bugs me is that although it was out of gaurentee, we have hardly used this unit. For all the money we've spent, I don't think I'll ever buy a garmin product again.
[/quote']

Well I faced exactly the same situation at Avnic last Friday 18-09-09.

It certainly is a hardware/design issue - there is nothing I did to my unit to cause this, and because I missed my warantee date by a month and a half, I must pay for satisfaction. Very annoying indeed.

I purchased my Edge 305 about 3 1/2 years ago from another hubber. I served me almost trouble free this whole time I had it. The only problem that I ever had was that pixels were going dead on the screen. For R2300 pay in I upgraded to the Edge 705. I always kept my 305 up to date with the latest software using Webupdater. From experience with cycling buddies who also have the Edge 305, small stupid things like corrupt data can also create lock-ups etc. on the device. Besides regularly checking for updates using Webupdater, I also regularly cleared the memory after transferring my rides to Training Center.  I also follow the same philosophy with my Edge 705, and have also not had any problems whatsoever.  steynja2009-09-21 10:10:56

Yup, mine also can't handle bumps. No amount up software upgrading has helped - it's a batteryy connection issue that's well documented.

No free new units in SA as in the US.

No more garmin for me.