My new project - 1993 GT Zaskar LE

nathrix

here is the aniversary edition with custom painted fork and special edition Hope parts. Even the tyres are re-released Smoke and Darts. It was doen my Mountainbike UK.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2008/05/06/mbuk225newsZaskar-798-75.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at this collection (not mine):

20091002_073418_Zaskar_collecti.jpg

Zaskar collection from left to right: Zaskar 1991 frame, 1992, 1993 LE, 1997, 1998 LE (GB), 1998 LE, 1998, 2000 LE, 2001 Race frame, 2004 Team

The GT Zaskar LE frames were made from 1993 until the year 2000.

nathrix2009-10-02 09:30:38

How to check if it's a true USA built GT Zaskar:

USA built GT Zaskars had 6061

stamped on the inside of both dropouts.

20091002_121254_DSC06053.JPG

USA built GT Zaskars had the serial

number and frame size stamped in the left rear drop out. As far as i know after 1999 nothing GT did came out of the states. The US

frames have had the serial# by only using numbers and no letters.

20091002_121326_DSC06054.JPG

USA built GT Zaskars had a Flat cap at the back end of the top tube not

curved.

20091002_121414_DSC06076.JPG

nathrix2009-10-02 12:24:32

Nice frame!

But why not keep it period specific? It's a collectible!

You guys are going to love Mike's (Barth) GT STS Wink

He's just waiting for decals...

• 1 month later...

Whats the weight of your Le Zaskar frame?

Eh het vandag die frame geweeg, dis swaarder as wat ek gedink het dit sal weeg. Ek oorweeg om 'n SS te bou. Sal updates post soos wat ek an gaan.

20091107_133028_007.JPG

• 2 months later...

looking to sell a Zaskar LE purple any interest?

USA??? Thanks boet' date=' but no thanks Wink

Perhaps post some details; like the year, size, specs, weight and most importantly, some pics?

How far is this project now?

Project is dormant at this stage, will start as soon as i have some cash burning my wallet. Cry

Taking stock so far: GT Frame, serviced Fox RLC 80mm front fork (white with v-brake mounts) and new FSA carbon straight bar.

All this does make a nice art piece on top of my bookshelf against the wall for now...Dreaming...of getting Chris King headset and BB in yellow, if available, haven't checked yet and Mavic crosmax sl wheelset.

Unfortunately i'm still working on the financials of this project Big%20smile Still a looooong way to go.

Besides, i haven't decided between ss or geared...Confused

here is the aniversary edition with custom painted fork and special edition Hope parts. Even the tyres are re-released Smoke and Darts. It was doen my Mountainbike UK.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2008/05/06/mbuk225newsZaskar-798-75.jpg

Now this is a hardtail I'll gladly ride.  BeautifulClap

Like Brad said, why not keep it 90's ?

I have some Aztec blue ano Vee's in a box somewere.. I swear they work better than vee's I use to drool over those GT's, Robbi Powell had a avalanch which he use to do trials with V-brakes back when I was in high school. It would be wrong to put new stuff on there Nathrix !! Im sure There is Plenty off good condition spares around from that time..

• 7 months later...

My GT Zaskar project is almost complete!

I will upload some pics tomorrow. Decided on converting it to a single speed, so I still need to source a crank, Derailleur Hanger-mounted Replacement Chain Tensioner, chain and looking at the Chris King cog and spacers.

The parts fitted so far (all parts are new excluding the fork):

- fork (white 2008 fox rlc 80mm v-brakes or disc),

- wheel set (2008 Mavic crossmax sl rim brakes with mavic ti skewers)

- tyres (maxxis foldables crossmark rear + monorail front + mavic presta valves as I'm not fitting inner tubes + sealant,

- headset (Chris King silver),

- stem 110mm (Thomson Elite X4),

- handle bar (Ritchey wcs carbon flat),

- v-brakes (Avid Single Digit SL rim brakes + Avid Speed Dial Ultimate levers),

- grips (ESIgrip blue),

- seat post 27.2mm (Thomson set back),

- seat clamp (KCNC silver)

- saddle (Fizik Gobi XM),

- 2 x bottle cages (Specialize white).

Weight of this puppy so far...just under 7.8kg. I'm sure I can get it lighter, but happy with the parts so far as it's already costing me way more then what I initially budgeted for.

I will be fitting eggbeaters as soon as the crank and BB is fitted.

Any suggestions welcome as well as to source the ss parts locally, new or second hand :)

Get hold of the guys on www.singlespeed.co.za, they have Fire Eye SS conversion kits to convery your cassette to a single, as well as the Spur chain tensioner.