Heres a question for Mr Bornman, or anyone........

porky

............... took my car in today to have the wheels aligned after hitting a thousand potholes on the road from Sun City yesterday, and the technician said he would just rotate the tyres as well to even out the wear, and extend tyre life. So, while I was enjoying a cup of bitter, lukewarm coffee in the waiting room, I wondered if rotating tyres on a cycle would do the same (ie) extend the life?

I can understand due to the slow speed of a bicycle, tyre balance is unimportant, but theoretically, the rear tyre, as in any load bearing drive wheel, should wear faster than the front, so rotation should be beneficial???

porky2009-10-12 09:42:21

I would not want to put the worn back tyre on the front. Rather have the grip on the front. 

Sure, but I mean just rotating them around occasionally to even out wear.

The rear tyre wears faster for other reasons too - its no problem to use a worn tyre on back though I been using semi slicks and other peoples seconds on back for years.

Pay some attention to tyre pressure to give you iether optimum rolling resistance or grip on technical climbs.

While others have argued tyres to the point of rediculous over the years though I still am quite certain there are not many riders that would be able to make one work better than the other if the tyre pressures are bout right - FRONT tyre is important though!Smile 

I hate taking tires off the rim when they are tubeless. Stans or whatever sealant you use leaves a mess. If you ride them with tubes it is prbably easy enough to be worth the trouble.

I've found that rotating the tires on a bike wears them down a bit faster, as the good tyre that came off the front will wear down then you have 2 worn out tyres, rather wear down the rear tyre, buy a new one, and put the new one on the front , then the old one off the front onto the back...

I rotate my road bike tyres every few months. I dont know if it makes any difference, but I do it when I take them off and give them a close inspection and pic out any little pieces of glass

I never rotate my tires. I can get about 2-3 rear tyres for every front tyre. At the moment my rear is square while the centre ridge on the front is not even worn off yet.

I never rotate my tires. I can get about 2-3 rear tyres for every front tyre. At the moment my rear is square while the centre ridge on the front is not even worn off yet.

that's cos you ride with your brakes the wrong way round, and keep locking your back brakes... smiley2.gif

Run different tyres back and front for better all round performance.

Kenda Nevagals up front for tracking and exit and entry grip on the ball bearings and sand and Crossmark at the back for longer wear,lower rolling resistance and enough grip in the edges

So no rotation

Ooops! I see the party has already started and I'm late.

It seems that all the beer is finished and the questions answered. I have nothing to add.

Ooops! I see the party has already started and I'm late.

It seems that all the beer is finished and the questions answered. I have nothing to add.

HaHa,..........nothing???............I dont believe that.!Wink

Actually, I thought I might try it myself, then I remembered I had only done 300 kms on both tyres since the ArgusBig%20smile - guess it would be pointless hey?