AMASHOVA LADIES PRIZE GIVING??

walker

Please can someone explain this to me...

Everyone moans that there are not enough ladies in cycling, but when it comes to a BIG race only the top 10 Elite Ladies are acknowledged at the prize giving, yet in the mens race it is the top 10 Elite and then the top 3 in each age group.

In the U16 boys the prize money was in the 4 figure range, yet in the U16 girls there was nothing.

Where is the motivation for the ladies to excel, why not call up the top 3 in each age group so that they can have their 30 secs of glory and their sponsors can get some mileage from them.

NO acknowledgement = NO sponsorship for the ladies, why should the sponsors want ladies on their teams when they get no mileage from them, as all sponsors want their riders acknowledged.

Well that is my 2c worth on this issue and yes I have a daughter who rode in the U16 girls and came 3rd and is very upset that her and her sponsor didn't get acknowledged.

I think you have a very good point, perhaps if there's as much focus on the girls race there would be more entrants. Have you taken it up with the race organisers? If you feel that strongly about it, don't leave it, there are at least three publications you can write to to start off with. Get stuck in to them!

fully agree with that....and if there is acknowledgment for winning in the ladies section, it will probably draw more to become more serious, which will increase the number of participants etc etc

and they could very easily just simply decrease the prize moneys for the males by even R50 per prize and they'd have enough for the ladies

its rediculous

Walker, i have to agree with you here.

They had this huge rig (massive truck) for what ? With some silly "american sounding" guy who could not pronouce any SA names. WTF................Come on Ouch

They wasted so much time on *** MTN games instead of getting the prize giving sorted. It would not have cost them anything to call up all the age cat winners, before the Elite Men and Elite Ladies.

I think the organisors have lost the plot with what brings back the riders to an event.

They had this huge rig (massive truck) for what ? With some silly "american sounding" guy who could not pronouce any SA names. WTF................Come on Ouch

The guy had a Soweto-American accent and was rather annoying. They

also had him at the Zoo Lake Crit. If I had gotten my hands on that

broken Pinarello, I swear I would have taken him out with it.

His inane babble before and during the prize giving...

I think that he was fine. Perhaps a bit over the top, but maybe that's what our road cycling needs to create an atmosphere. Durban races have battled with support and sponsorship in the last few years (namely tour durban and that now finished Belgotex carpets race) and I for one am very, very grateful to MTN for coming on board and throwing huge money at it to make the day happen...

I think a lot of you are very ungrateful... what if MTN was not there? smiley5.gif

Everyone moans that there are not enough ladies in cycling' date=' but when it comes to a BIG race only the top 10 Elite Ladies are acknowledged at the prize giving, yet in the mens race it is the top 10 Elite and then the top 3 in each age group.

In the U16 boys the prize money was in the 4 figure range, yet in the U16 girls there was nothing.

Where is the motivation for the ladies to excel, why not call up the top 3 in each age group so that they can have their 30 secs of glory and their sponsors can get some mileage from them.

NO acknowledgement = NO sponsorship for the ladies, why should the sponsors want ladies on their teams when they get no mileage from them, as all sponsors want their riders acknowledged.

Well that is my 2c worth on this issue and yes I have a daughter who rode in the U16 girls and came 3rd and is very upset that her and her sponsor didn't get acknowledged.
[/quote']

I fully agree - its nonsense that there is such a discrepancy... Apparently word from the organisers is that they were asked to only award prize money to the top 10 ladies so that we would be encouraged to race harder.....Disapprove There are plenty out there who can win age category, and have sponsors to satisfy with exposure - but aren't getting any recognition for their efforts.. 

If you race and do well - you must get your reward!! Men or ladies.

Last week i ceded my One Tonner entry to somone at our cycle club via email. I had too much work and studying to do. Little did i know that she (the one who used my ceded entry) went ahead and won the female section outright by more than 5min!! I asked her to which woman's league racing team does she belong? She answered: non, ladies road racing is horrible. She is just training for the Epic and DC.

Could not help myself and think: What a loss to woman's road racing...

Just my 2c worth

The girls should've raced the Rossgro MTB challenge in Delmas. Good prizes for all ages in both the 70 and 35 k ride.

Had ladies overall first 3 as well as first 3 in Vets, Sub-vets etc.

Support the rides that support the girls.

I think that he was fine. Perhaps a bit over the top' date=' but maybe that's what our road cycling needs to create an atmosphere. Durban races have battled with support and sponsorship in the last few years (namely tour durban and that now finished Belgotex carpets race) and I for one am very, very grateful to MTN for coming on board and throwing huge money at it to make the day happen...

I think a lot of you are very ungrateful... what if MTN was not there? smiley5.gif [/quote']

This has nothing to do with the event sponsor. It's got to do with a shoddy prize giving and lack of respect for the riders who make the race. And some street talking kid who no one could understand.

If you atmosphere, you should have been at the BMX Supercross in PMB. That was hip and rocking but with class.

In the U16 boys the prize money was in the 4 figure range' date=' yet in the U16 girls there was nothing.

[/quote']

Why must U16s get price money anyway. They're not PROS and they do have parents who provide the money.

This has nothing to do with the event sponsor. It's got to do with a shoddy prize giving and lack of respect for the riders who make the race

Sorry to burst your bubble Owen but it isn?t the winners that "make" the race....Evil%20Smile<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It is the masses coming in after the top riders that make the race viable/profitable and the masses really don?t care who won and who got how much in price money.  They just interested in the how much is the entry fee, is there road closure and is the goodie bag nice??Wink

Ox_Wagon2009-10-20 00:28:09

Clap 

I agree with OX Wagon. It is not the winner that matters but the masses participating that does. Glory to the winner, no problem but be kind to the one that promotes your race for you next year.

It is time that woman and juniors receive more credit. They are an integral part of races, part of the cycle fraternity and are entitle to their fame.

In the U16 boys the prize money was in the 4 figure range' date=' yet in the U16 girls there was nothing.

[/quote']

Why must U16s get price money anyway. They're not PROS and they do have parents who provide the money.

Yip that's us endless source of money don't worry Confused