Help me choose MTB! (+ Hello all)

Hog_

Upgrading cheap hydro's is much cheaper than upgrading V's !!! Hydrolic brakes are very expensive and you would do well to start of with even a cheap setup like Hayes . But if you think disks are just a big hoo-haa then go for the best V's you can get in your price range .

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good ole V brakes are fine ........... rather look at things like better fork or bb.

Upgrading cheap hydro's is much cheaper than upgrading V's !!! Hydrolic brakes are very expensive and you would do well to start of with even a cheap setup like Hayes . But if you think disks are just a big hoo-haa then go for the best V's you can get in your price range .

I would actually prefer discs, but in my price range I'll only get mech discs. I'm still considering pushing my budget, but I've actually already pushed it from 3k to 4k. Plus I'm budgeting R1,5k for Helmet, shoes and pedals - which is also a big factor.

Maybe it's time to sell the girlfriends car... Wink

I would actually prefer discs' date=' but in my price range I'll only get mech discs. I'm still considering pushing my budget, but I've actually already pushed it from 3k to 4k. Plus I'm budgeting R1,5k for Helmet, shoes and pedals - which is also a big factor.

Maybe it's time to sell the girlfriends car... Wink

[/quote']

Now you're thinking! Big%20smile

To give you an idea of what helmet, shoes, pedals and cycling shorts (can't forget those!) would put you back, this is roughly what I paid:

- Bell Ukon helmet: R380

- Olympic cleated shoes: R550

- Shimano cleated pedals : R280

- Anatomic free ride shorts: R300

vanmartin2007-05-15 10:06:34

I know what you feel like, buying a MTB is very confusing, after shopping for a MTB the last 2 months I decided to stick to my old MTB and do the most of my riding during winter on my road bike. My road bike is a size 65 so I would probably need a XL or 23" MTB, I was told the Giant Talon with upgraded shock would be perfect for me, unfortunately there wasn't any XL frames in stock so after a month of waiting for the stock it arrived without XL frames, I then decided to buy the Scott Scale 50 XL and upgrade the shock, and I found one in a shop in Durbanville, the salesman was very helpfull and promised me the bike is right for me and we can upgrade the shock, So 2 days later I am in town again so I take the wife to see the bike to convince her that it would be good for me and then buy it of course. A different salesman helps me and he says Nooo this bike is to small for you, You need a bigger Bike and he shows me a Giant XTC with scott tyres, Scott handlebars platform pedals and V-brakes, with shimano xt groupset, and Rock shock dart 2 shock, totally butchered with different parts, and still it was more expensive than the Scott scale 50 or Giant Talon. I was so dissapointed that I decided to go to the next shop down the road where I was told that the GT 22" frame would fit me perfect. That really stopped my MTB buying urge, the guys who sell MTB does not really know what size or shock you should use. So before I got ripped of I decided to stick to the road and ride my old MTB with meduim frame on the rainy days.  Good luck with all the advice but make your mind up before you walk into the shop

Some good advise all round, thanks guys.

I'll check out Linden Cycles today if I get the chance.

Question: How bad are mech discs really? Reason why I'm asking is that if I get mech discs now, I can upgrade to hydro later without getting new hubs etc.

Right now I'm thinking that I should maybe stretch my budget to about R6k - although the woman will kill me!

Question: How bad are mech discs really?

Really bad. The only one I might consider are the avid ones. If you do consider upgrading later, just buy a bike with good V brakes that already have disc hubs..like the Trek 4500. Or just spend the six grand and buy bike with decent hydro brakes.

My advice, pick the color you like and see what MTB fits the color. In the price range you are looking (and this applies to all proce ranges) there is very little to choose between the bikes.

My advice' date=' pick the color you like and see what fits the color. In the price range you are looking (and this applies to all proce ranges) there is very little to choose between the bikes.[/quote']

Great advice! Thats exactly how I choose my girlfriends!Confused

If a 20" will fit you, Westrand Cycles (011-955-4342) have one Diamond Back with Manitou Axel, Avid Mech Disc, WTB Wheels & tyres, Deore Fr & R Der, SRAM X7 shifters, Ritchey Post & Stem, Truvativ Crank @ R3500. Sounds like damn good value to me.

My advice' date=' pick the color you like and see what fits the color. In the price range you are looking (and this applies to all proce ranges) there is very little to choose between the bikes.[/quote']

Great advice! Thats exactly how I choose my girlfriends!Confused

On color or price?

Update:

Just been to Mikes Bikes in Greenside. Got excellent service from Mike, and I'm pretty much sold on a Mongoose Meteore. At under R6k it has Deore components, Tektra (I think) hydro discs and pedals (can't remember the brand)

Will decide tonight if I'm going to take the plunge.

Update:

Just been to Mikes Bikes in Greenside. Got excellent service from Mike' date=' and I'm pretty much sold on a Mongoose Meteore. At under R6k it has Deore components, Tektra (I think) hydro discs and pedals (can't remember the brand)

Will decide tonight if I'm going to take the plunge.

[/quote']

I like your choice, I think it's a great value for money bike, I nearly bought one myself.

Just finalised the deal - I'm picking the bike up at 6 tonight. Must say that I can highly recommend Mikes Bikes in Greenside. They're setting my bike up as we speak, plus they agreed to match the price of their out-of-stock competition.

Now the 'getting back into shape' bit starts!

Hog, I love hearing these positive stories. I was going to recommend Mike's Bikes but didn't know what bikes they had in stock. I have just ordered a high end bike from them after building my way up from an entry level bike (it happens, watch out!) and was really pleased with the service. They offered me a discount on the recommended retail, swapped all my components across from my old bike to build up the best of both, and set me up really perfectly.

And they're nice people. The guys from the shop joined me on my first ride with the new bike as well!

Maybe I'll see you in there sometime...

P.S. Hog, we're having a breakfast fun ride at Northern Farm on Sunday. There are quite a few novices joining us and the objective is for everyone to have fun. Go read more under Training and please feel welcome to join us! PM me for more info as needed