NCR : Windows 7

Speedi

Eish' date=' ya Windows is a bit addictive i suppose.

I wonder if Linux can run iTunes? What about media like movies?[/quote']I don't use iTunes, but it looks like it does work with w Windows emulatorcalled wine:http://mediakey.dk/~cc/itunes-on-linux-ubuntu/As for media, I use a media player called SMplayer that can playevery format that the other guys in the office's Windows Media Playercan - and some they can't. It even plays SA and US DVDs withoutany of that cr@ppy zone switching or encryption problems you geton Windows...http://smplayer.org/

Ok cool, and Linux costs?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok cool' date=' and Linux costs? [/quote']

Free - as in beer.

You can pay a couple of bucks for the CD, or else if you

buy a commercial package with support, CDs, documentation,

..., it's a couple of hundred bucks.

go to the Web site, download the ISO image, burn a CD

or DVD and install (or just run from the CD/DVD)...

I will go for Window$ 7... Not even a doubt in my mind about it ;) And here is some of my reasons:

1. It cost allot of money. Admit it, we like to spend our hard earn cash on software that will need faster hardware. Why ? Then we can spend some more money on faster hardware :)

2. The media is gaga about window$ 7. The hype machine is really turning the heat on. Listen to me, your not cool if your not running window$ 7. You won't be able to play with the other kids in the park if your not cool.

3. There "new" bar at the bottom is just so radically new it is scary. Micro$oft is really at the bleeding edge when it comes to UI design. Actually, KDE 4 looks just like it and KDE 4 has been released about a year ago. www.kubuntu.org or www.kde.org

4. It comes in a nice box ! Enough said... They really assigned allot of engineers on this task.

5. You have to buy anti-virus software... That means we can spend more money on a cool box with cd's in :)

So upgrade/buy it...

narra2009-10-22 07:16:14

Speedi, have to agree with jmaccelari.

I swopped over from XP to Ubuntu a couple of months ago and have never regretted it.

You don't need to run itunes under emulation in Linux, there are plenty of apps that will play and sort your music for you (unless you actually download through the itunes store).

oK! I just cant imagine switching over to a totally different OS.

Yeah - that's why Bill Gates says he wants Windows to be like a drug -
easy to get onto' date=' but impossible to get off.

It can quite frustrating (and was very frustrating then), but now I
tear out my hair everytime I have to use a Windows box. There's
NO apps with it (Linux gives you office suites, games, programming
tools, frikkin' EVERYTHING out of the box).

I look at a Windows box and wonder what the hell I can do with it.

The frustration is that some software will ONLY run under Windows
(my Garmin stuff, for example). It's frustrating keeping a Windows box
alive purely to get my GPS software updated! I can download from
the Garmin to Linux, but not do the software updates.... Angry
[/quote']

Run it as a VM on your linux box.

http://ibtimes.com.au/articles/20091019/pirated-windowsdebuts-china-before-oct-22-official-launch.htm

cheap in china

Been using Win7 quite a while now and it is seamless and workx well. O ja I also will get a free upgrade to legal Windows next week from Lenovo.

Well my next PC will be a Win7 box, and of course my old faithful Ubuntu installed as well ... but then again, I would rather get myself a full-sus before I get myself a new PC.

Got my priorites in order !!!!

ive been running windows 7 for six months.

if u on xp stay there.

theres still many problems for them to solve on 7.

?

no offence, but that's just bollocks. I've been using the first release of the RC, and I must say, it's bloody brilliant. It's as stable if not better than XP with SP2/3. XP is a nice, stable platform borne of a few good years of maturation. Windows 7 RC at this stage (without any SP) being as good, if not better than XP with all it's service packs, says a lot about Windows 7.

Note: better means different things to different people, so I highly recommend you see for yourself.

Out of the box driver support is brilliant. Legacy hardware support is pretty damn good as well. And dont let the naysaying chops with an isolated incident deter you from at least trying windows 7 for yourself via the Release Candidate (RC). It's free and damn good. Oh and the RC licence only expires in July 2010. So you have a damn long time to test.

Capricorn2009-10-22 08:33:06

if u on xp stay there.

no offence' date=' but that's just bollocks. I've been using the first release of the RC, and I must say, it's bloody brilliant. It's as stable if not better than XP with SP2/3. XP is a nice, stable platform borne of a few good years of maturation. Windows 7 RC at this stage (without any SP) being as good, if not better than XP with all it's service packs, says a lot about Windows 7.

Note: better means different things to different people, so I highly recommend you see for yourself.

Out of the box driver support is brilliant. Legacy hardware support is pretty damn good as well. And dont let the naysaying chops with an isolated incident deter you from at least trying windows 7 for yourself via the Release Candidate (RC). It's free and damn good. Oh and the RC licence only expires in July 2010. So you have a damn long time to test.

[/quote']

Agree about the drivers...... my Lenovo came with full blown Chinese vista and MS Office. Had to re-format the Hard Drives and did not need to load a single driver. Only thing I could not get to work was Bluetooth. I contacted Lenovo just after we returned to RSA and they will load all neccesary as well as thye full legit version of Win 7.

I have been runnning Windows 7 since the official RTM release. So thats about a month now. I am really loving it compared to XP. I went straight from xp to win 7 and missed vista - which was sh*te and slow

I haveto run windows software because all my work related software is windows based - so i have no option. As for cost - well, my company are microsoft partners for a couple of grand a year and we get 10 licenses of OS and Office plus one or two licenses of everything else.

Now onto linux - i have mixed feelings about this. I have used it on and off on spare machines for over fifteen years now. If i was only needing my pc for email/internet and office suite applications (plus music/ipod/video) i would definitely use linux. My folks are using it with no problems, except their printer did not work too well (colours are messed up) which means I had to fiddle a bit to get it right. I also ran linux on my home pc for while but uninstalled it after a while because I was having such compatibility issues with my tv card and trying to link my tv to my pc (granted this is not run of the mill stuff)

so what i am saying - is it really depends on your application/equirements. I would however first find out what someone is needing to do before just saying either one or the other.

Whew that was long! now we just need those %#$#@$# mac guys to pipe up smiley36.gif

if u on xp stay there.

Windows 7 has no major problems at all? im running the RTM (7600) and everything is running 100% smooth. You should check your build, youre way out of date if you havnt changed since 6 months ago.

My recocmendation to everyone is to run windows 7, its much much better than vista and xp is fine, but it just hasnt got all the cool features that 7 has. And if youre worried about compatabilities......dont beSmile 

Linux is cool if you wanna be special and differentTongue I used slackware for a bit last year, copared to vista its nice and I like the open source idea, but it needs to be a little more......"Less geeky" if they wanna rule the world. I also just hate the stupid penguin.....

Id say get windows 7Smile or at least try it for a month (virtual machine or extra partition)

It sure depends on what type of user you are, when you consider using linux or window$. If you want to play games most of the time I would rather go for window$ If you don't want to learn a new OS, I would rather go for window$. That said... Ubuntu and Kubuntu is really getting user friendly... Look out for the 9.10 release. You might be pleasantly surprised ;)

Do you know that Redhat passed Micro$oft's share price on Tuesday. Not to bad for a bunch of penguin's.

Now Now.... There is nothing wrong with the penguin... But then again that is one thing that separate window$ and linux. The linux guys love what they do... The love making an OS better... The pride them self in the software they put out to the world. If there is an bug it will be fixed before you would even know. If there is a feature missing, they will add it. Linux is fun, that is why we can make a penguin our mascot.

Do I hate window$ ? No, not at all... Why ? Window$ drives the linux community to make even better software.

http://www.linuxinsight.com/files/images/linus_thumbs_up_for_windows_7.jpg

narra2009-10-23 02:05:10