Novice ordeal, Name and shame the club!!

nyathi

That's why you should stay out of Pta. Its not the club, its the city - eende van 'n ander dam daai het my oupa gese.

Bad experience for a novice...., hope someone from the club reads this and contacts the rider to apologise.

Fotunately the club has many branches and I can guarantee you something like this will not happen @ the branch I ride for - but I still hope its not the same clubWink

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what we do is... put the hammer down, flat out, straight away, and the group is soon sorted into A,B,C,D......E............F pretty quickly!!!!

No.. joking... but i do think new comers to a group should introduce themselves and talk at the start... what often happens is they arrive, dont say anything, and join the ride!! and now the club are responsible for them??!!!

what we do is... put the hammer down' date=' flat out, straight away, and the group is soon sorted into A,B,C,D......E............F pretty quickly!!!!

No.. joking... but i do think new comers to a group should introduce themselves and talk at the start... what often happens is they arrive, dont say anything, and join the ride!! and now the club are responsible for them??!!![/quote']

How about going up to the new comer and welcoming them.  DO YOU KNOW how intimidating you all look to a new comer.  Seriousley???  Angry Confused

I told hubby flat out that I would NEVER join a club purely by the behaviour displayed at various events when Club 'groups' were encountered.  Luckily someone special was able to change my mind. Smile

Spinnekop stoot in elk geval net die girls! I mean he is always very accomodating to newcomers.

The club in question, if it is the club I think of has a website with all their rides advertised. They also state on the website what the average speed for all these groups are or should be. So as a newcomer it will be the best to slot in where you think you can ride and if you are not sure rather start with a slower group and wing it from there.

This specific club does not have road captains or ride captains only class captains!! And then there is also a HD and a GD riding with most of the rides!Clap

what we do is... put the hammer down' date=' flat out, straight away, and the group is soon sorted into A,B,C,D......E............F pretty quickly!!!!

No.. joking... but i do think new comers to a group should introduce themselves and talk at the start... what often happens is they arrive, dont say anything, and join the ride!! and now the club are responsible for them??!!![/quote']

No Bru, you should be responsible for the sport of cycling.

get yourself to some sort of fitness level then go and try out a club ride. Me going on a normal 3 hour ride can turn into a 5 hour ride because that person is struggling with basic fitness...it will be frustrating for the group/person AND even more for the "novice"

The point I was trying to make is that there will always be beginners in anything that you do; sport, hobbies, work, etc.[/quote']

True.  Understand that.  And so it should be.  Thumbs%20Up

Why do people feel good by putting beginners down? It would be comparable to slapping a 13 year old schoolgirl and then feeling very strong.
[/quote']

Hold on......
Nobody said the "Felt strong" or they felt good about their actions. 
Fact of the matter is the guys are there in the A bunch TO RIDE HARD.  Not learn.  That is what they did when they were beginners...group C rides.....not meant in a derogatory way....just stating facts.

You work your way up to Group A.  Once there you want to ride as hard as you can with people with the same ability.  Waiting for slow riders will not be part of the structure.  That is why clubs have C groups.  Not so?

IF it is the club I assume it is....this is the knowledge that is out there published........

"Average speed per Group
Group A
+/- 33km/h | Group B +/- 30km/h | Group C +/- 27.5km/h

C-Group: Everyone welcome, remember the average speed is not more than 27.5km/h.
Group A and B: NB! If A group rides wait for B group riders, then the A group riders have to ride on B group pace."

Joining a group A or B ride as a beginner.........ClapClapClapClap  Clever yes?

Spinnekop2009-10-30 06:28:22

No-one is dissing the "sport of cycling" here,, they dissing the club,, so the club is being made responsible...

No-one is dissing the "sport of cycling" here,, they dissing the club,, so the club is being made responsible...

Is the aim of any club not to promote their sport? How is this done? By swelling the number of members. How do we do this? By riding away new people. This makes them think that we are a super-fast club and our aloofness makes us irresistible.

If the ride captain is told by the support car that there is a straggler and does nothing, then he is not a captain's backside. If the support vehicle just goes around the straggler and leaves them to their own devices, that is a direct result of the club's ethos.

Therefore the club needs to be named and shamed. If there is nothing wrong with this behaviour, then like minded people will join them to experience the caring approach so vividly demonstrated.

I dont see anywhere a statement that says she rode with the A /B group.?

I am pretty sure she didnt, and even if she did the vehicle passing her should have stopped and asked if all was okay.!

I'll tell you what I think.............I think its crap.!

Had the lady been my wife, girlfriend,sister, mother whatever, I would be at the club now and pointing a finger under someones nose............or worse.!

My wife had a similar experience many years ago, I was on a business trip overseas and the club invited her to a ride, she said she wont come cos she cant keep up,............No,No, they said, we wont leave you behind.........................well they did, because egos came into play, and off they went, and she was left alone on some lonley road...........thank the good lord a guy out for a ride found her and rode with her back to the main road and the start point.

Needless to say when I returned and found out what had happened I was livid, I approached the club chairman personally and demanded an explanation, he couldnt give one really, but apologised,........ however we left the club.

I dont know who the club is, but my advice to the lady, "leave the club", make your situation known and leave, why do you need to belong to a club like this.?

porky2009-10-30 06:41:13

They should really have seperate touring clubs and racing clubs in SA.  That way you know what you are getting into and everyone has fun.  The problem is that every funrider wants to be a racer and this causes the problem.  Join a club who wants to have fun.

What's the point of joining the club if they are NOT GOING TO HELP YOU even if you are in the wrong and have as a beginner joined the wrong group??

Too few clubs in all sports have an 'onboarding' type of ambassador to assist the newbies transition into being an educated member and usually these same clubs moan there is no new fresh talent coming through too....

Tubehunter2009-10-30 07:01:55

They should really have seperate touring clubs and racing clubs in SA.  That way you know what you are getting into and everyone has fun.  The problem is that every funrider wants to be a racer and this causes the problem.  Join a club who wants to have fun.

They do??  Nobody told me that. 

Let me see, why do I cycle??

1.  To have fun (sorry if that upsets you)

2.  To get out and ENJOY myself (so sorry if that upset you)

3.  To get fit, oh, and have FUN (sorry if this upsets some)

so tell me this - why DOES it always have to be about who is riding the best, winning and and and.........ConfusedConfusedConfused 

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have no interest in racing but that shouldn't mean that I cannot join a club and do something that I love!!!  And if certain clubs do not want to take on the recreational/fun rider then they should make that clear up front!!!