maxxis, stan's ammonia sealant and the evil bubble

mokganjetsi

General question to the Stan's users: Do you guys also get "wet" patches on the outside of the tyres at puncture holes that never seal up completely but just seep out over time?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you should see what happens to Stans when you use a CO2 bomb

Please advise what happens to Stan with CO2 Bomb' date=' been trying to figure this out since i saw the warning on the Stans packaging.

So far my Stans / CO2 combo sems to be working fine, allthough I have not had a hole in the tire yet, but it sealed the bead area just fine?

[/quote']

It's not that drastic, but if you expose Stans (for example) to a CO2 atmosphere, you get a gradual change of pH as the CO2 is absorbed by the water.  So, over time, the rubber coagulates and the latex is no longer.  So it stops working, and you have to refill.  This will not affect the tyre, just the life of the sealant inside the tyre.  So if you are out riding, and get a puncture, and use a CO2 bomb to re-inflate, you are probably shortening the lifetime of the Stans.  I can't give exact numbers, but in the screening experiments we did it looks like about a 50% reduction when we compare CO2 to "normal" air.

That is one reason for the formation of the clumps of latex. The other is the change in enthalpy as the CO2 is discharged into the tyre. This results in a rapid temperature drop inside the tyre leading to crosslinking of the latex and those lumps you see.

Hence if you use a co2 infaltor always make sure the valve is at the top of the wheel and not near the bottom. this provides the CO2 gas an opportunity to reach STP inside the tyre, minimising the  latex crosslinking

General question to the Stan's users: Do you guys also get "wet" patches on the outside of the tyres at puncture holes that never seal up completely but just seep out over time?

a wet patch on the outside of your rubber is bad news about 9 months later...Wink

Added 67% OKO and 33% Stans to my Monorails in Feb, did the Epic, then the bike stood for 3 months, then some riding again, no issues to date.

Im still not convinced with you guys mixing the OKO....

Its not ment to be mixed with anything....

Ive only run proper kits ie Bontrager Rim Strips with UST tyres

or UST rims with UST tyres and OKO, on its own it is amazing....

Im working on a case now where a person has mixed Stans and OKO and now its not sealing.....

I would stay away from mixing for now....

Im still not convinced with you guys mixing the OKO....

Its not ment to be mixed with anything....

Ive only run proper kits ie Bontrager Rim Strips with UST tyres

or UST rims with UST tyres and OKO' date=' on its own it?is amazing....

?

Im working on a case now where?a person has mixed Stans and OKO and now its not sealing.....

?

I would stay away from mixing for now....
[/quote']

I added some OKO to my Joe's tubes (yes you do get tubes pre-filled with Joe's) because the Joe's did not want to seal. No problems since then.

OKO is another Tyre Sealant but unlike the others which only produce a line for Bicycles OKO has lines for other applications such as Car,Motorbike And trucks to name a few, thus they know their stuff....

Im an Agent for them so if you need we can talk....

OKO is another Tyre Sealant but unlike the others which only produce a line for Bicycles OKO has lines for other applications such as Car' date='Motorbike And trucks to name a few, thus they know their stuff....

Im an Agent for them so if you need we can talk....
[/quote']

OKO i mean ok how does it work? How much in a tyre? Price etc? 

It forms a Plug due to the pressure.... as seen in pic 1

Cost from LBS = R80 for a 380ml bottle....

While they say use 190ml per tyre you can use 90ml to 100ml no problem.... So in effect giving you 4 tyres per bottle....

20091105_005728_31082009468.jpg

Brandon Els:

"I met with Chris Warrick today of Maxxis North America. Maxxis do not believe that sealants have any affect on the bubbling of tyres after exhaustive tests. The only reason they have a disclaimer is for liability reasons where a consumer does not seat the tyre correctly after installation of the sealant and this incorrect seating may lead to claims against Maxxis for injuries sustained by the consumer from tyre derailment.

Recent bubbling of in particular Crossmarks was as a result of an incorrect lay up of a large batch of tyres. Should bubbling occur on any Maxxis tyre it is not the result of the sealant and the tyre should be returned immediatly to Probike for a replacement."

Recent bubbling of in particular Crossmarks was as a result of an incorrect lay up of a large batch of tyres. Should bubbling occur on any Maxxis tyre it is not the result of the sealant and the tyre should be returned immediatly to Probike for a replacement."

and is this relayed to the customer? I doubt it.

Brandon Els:

"I met with Chris Warrick today of Maxxis North America. Maxxis do not believe that sealants have any affect on the bubbling of tyres after exhaustive tests. The only reason they have a disclaimer is for liability reasons where a consumer does not seat the tyre correctly after installation of the sealant and this incorrect seating may lead to claims against Maxxis for injuries sustained by the consumer from tyre derailment.

So it's only Kenda who continuously mislead the consumer that sealants lead to tyre failure.

Incorret layup is certainly the prime cause of failure. if the layup is correct then there would be no voids for sealant to accumulate in. Good on Maxxis for coming clean.

Pro Bike said that they will replace those bubble tyre's sins its not stans thats doing it. I'v seen tyres bubble on amonia free sealant.?

On the non-tubeless tyres i have had no problems with stans and bubbling

Specialized said that they will replace tyres if they bubbel and that if stans make the best sealant its time tyre's need to be made to work with it rather than the sealant change to the tyre.