Crash at Suikerbosrand!

Chappie

Just a word of speedy recovery to Marnelle Rauch who experienced a "blackout" on her bike while descending on a twitchy part of the Suikerbosrand route and then came off her bike with severe injuries:  Vascular artory damaged (Similar to what Ryan Cox had), disslocated fingers, broken collarbone, broken ribs, punctured lung and broken T7 in her back.  She is still in ICU since Sunday.  Any goodluck messages to:  082 7877 261. Chappie2009-11-03 02:56:24

Yes' date=' a speedy recovery, this is not good news. About what time did this accident occur?[/quote']

Thanks for the nice words all.  She fell at about 11h30 Sunday morning.

Don't mean to be insensitve, but sh*t that's a lot of damage she must have been moving at some serious speed.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

That section is wicked. Adverse cambers on some corners and a very steep decsent.

Hope she makes a full recovery.

Was also there on Sunday and didn't see the crash.

I sincerely hope that she recovers and that she had people with her to assist.

I would also like to appeal to people to be responsible and am by no means saying that this was the case with regards to this accident.

On Sunday I saw a guy teaching his girlfriend how to clip in on the top of the big climb. Suikerbos is no place to be if you don't even know how to clip in and the guy should be snot klapped for even taking this girl to a location like this to try to teach her how to ride a bike.

Second I saw a guy and a girl riding with no helmet on, I mean FF Sakes?? Need I say more.

The parking lot was the fullest I have ever seen it on Sunday and by the looks of things full of newbies, guys and girls please be over cautious when taking first timers to the reserve, it is a dangerous place and should be respected.

Too true Mux. It is not a place for novices and sissies. The climbs are tough and the descents even tougher.

No room for error on that twisty downhill section and the smallest mistake can result in heaps of pain.

I have immense respect for the SBR downhills, particulary after blowing a tyre on a loose stone on one steep downhill.

wow, not good news, I hope for her speedy recovery.

The twisty steep downhill section after the first 12.6km is DANGEROUS, no need to ride it fast; its short and you run out of road REAL fast!

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would take a beginner rider there; the hills are brutal, the wind gets hectic, if they dont get a heart attack after the first 2.6km, they are quite likely not to want to speak to you again or apply for divorce after...

Today again there was a white 4x4 going the wrong way on the route. Seems the motorists dont really give a damn, so when riding be careful, because where the grass has not burnt away and is still long with trees and shrubs, rounding a corner might turn you into a 'hood ornament'

Also still lots of glass and loose stones in places.

Lots of wildlife out today, close to the road, was quite special once again.

I have immense respect for the SBR downhills' date=' particulary after blowing a tyre on a loose stone on one steep downhill. [/quote'] .....and good timing by a little yellow van!!!LOL

I have immense respect for the SBR downhills' date=' particulary after blowing a tyre on a loose stone on one steep downhill. [/quote'] .....and good timing by a little yellow van!!!LOL

I would have had a Looong walk had it not been for that little yellow van Clap

I would have had a Looong walk had it not been for that little yellow van Clap

I

also need a little yellow van on Sunday but there wasn't one to be seen.

Luckily a dentist stopped to help me & managed to unbend my bikes chain.

But I also walked a good few km.