Why you are not welcome in the cradle

Cradleresident

As far as the Lido goes i would not totaly exclude deliberate criminal intent, it would make you quite an easy target while changing a flat.

Yeah, I would second that, I dont ride around there any more and havent for a year or two, the encroachment of the squatter camps on the residential properties in the area and especially the Lido hotel means this is not a safe area, unless you are in a large group who will stop and wait if you puncture.

Been stuck on the road on your own in that area is a recipe for disaster.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is probably just to be vindictive and cause minor damage and inconvenience, I doubt very much the intention was to hurt someone, although it seems to me there is a steady escalation of anti social behaviour in the area between the two parties.

Hello fellow Grumpy...

Would not suprise me if it was a cyclist who did it and did not even live there.

Has an axe to grind/grudge to bear against one of the "target"clubs.

Go through all the posts and look for a pattern.Wheres Detective Yang when you need him?

Well, I am a total outsider as I do not use this road.

You guys, cyclists that use it regularly, brought this onto yourself.

That road, or the bits I've seen on the pics does not lend itself to riding 2 and 3 abreast.

So, shut up, or act up, the choice is yours. We know the rules of the road, cycle single file.

This is how I see the problem:

Some motorists, who are nice guys, get big attitude problems whenever they get in their cars, and tend to go on power trips, even if the cyclists are riding single file.

On the other hand, some cyclists who are nice guys get attitude problems whenever they get on the bike and go on the whole power trip thing whenever someone tries to help or correct them.

Because of this cyclists and motorists will always have a hard time getting along because on both parties certain individuals have too big egos to admit any mistake.

As far as the thumbtacks go, one word: Childish.

What if someone gets multiple punctures and have to phone for a lift home which can easily be 50km away. What if that person gets mugged, or hurt by some bike jacking bastard while he is waiting for a lift?

Thumbtacks in road = Super Childish - No wonder the residents and the cyclists could not find a middle ground, you need the brain of an adult to find a middle ground in situation like this.

Over and out.

Well, I am a total outsider as I do not use this road.

You guys, cyclists that use it regularly, brought this onto yourself.

That road, or the bits I've seen on the pics does not lend itself to riding 2 and 3 abreast.

So, shut up, or act up, the choice is yours. We know the rules of the road, cycle single file.

yes you are a total outsider on this topic if you do not cycle on these roads.

so let me enlighten you,

firstly i agree to the rules that should be obeyed when cycling on a public road, and yes the cradle route are public roads. however, in any of the pics, how many vehicles have you seen? exactly, the roads are almost empty for the morning rides during the weekend. hence the cyclists have become comfortable cycling in bigger bunches as there was no immediate danger to them. so they have started a habit, (and you can call it a bad habit). there is always sufficient space to go pass the cyclists. and how many residents are there?? a hand few, i suppose, hence not much traffic. the majority of vehicles that travel through the route are people who cycle there.

the more important point here is the lack of respect to our cycling enviroment when someone just decides to urinate at the side of the road. that is totally unacceptable. Littering the area as well is not on. we should be attacking this problem in the cradle.

But to keep harping on the riding 2/3 abreast in cradle is wasting time.

You can also the see the individual cyclists leisurely cycling in the middle of the lane, only more indicates how quiet the roads are.

this type of riding is not acceptable, (and you may want to say cyclists not following the law of the road, that went out the window ages ago), but has a geater impact when it is this type of riding is done on more busier / high traffic roads. Apart form obstructing traffic etc, the cyclists are more endangered, so for their own good they should follow the rules.

so cut the bull**** on "shut up or act up", you need to know the enviroment to know why it is like that.

I enjoy cycling on the cradle routes, no traffic, tons of cyclists, thats where i want to cycle.

yes you are a total outsider on this topic if you do not cycle on these roads.

so let me enlighten you,

firstly i agree to the rules that should be obeyed when cycling on a public road, and yes the cradle route are public roads. however, in any of the pics, how many vehicles have you seen? exactly, the roads are almost empty for the morning rides during the weekend. hence the cyclists have become comfortable cycling in bigger bunches as there was no immediate danger to them. so they have started a habit, (and you can call it a bad habit). there is always sufficient space to go pass the cyclists. and how many residents are there?? a hand few, i suppose, hence not much traffic. the majority of vehicles that travel through the route are people who cycle there.

the more important point here is the lack of respect to our cycling enviroment when someone just decides to urinate at the side of the road. that is totally unacceptable. Littering the area as well is not on. we should be attacking this problem in the cradle.

But to keep harping on the riding 2/3 abreast in cradle is wasting time.

You can also the see the individual cyclists leisurely cycling in the middle of the lane, only more indicates how quiet the roads are.

this type of riding is not acceptable, (and you may want to say cyclists not following the law of the road, that went out the window ages ago), but has a geater impact when it is this type of riding is done on more busier / high traffic roads. Apart form obstructing traffic etc, the cyclists are more endangered, so for their own good they should follow the rules.

so cut the bull**** on "shut up or act up", you need to know the enviroment to know why it is like that.

I enjoy cycling on the cradle routes, no traffic, tons of cyclists, thats where i want to cycle.

Sorry myGT sounds like excuses more than reasons.....

i am afraid not, and i am not making excuses for any of the cyclists at the cradle. i am merely illustrating the enviroment at the cradle and why it is like that.

but from a point of teaching other cyclists, the bigger groups more experienced riders should try setting good examples and then tell other cyclists what they are doing wrong.

but it is a case of, placing a bowl of sweets on the table and telling your child that he/she can only have 1 sweet. if you sit there, they will listen and only have 1, if you leave, they will finish the rest of the sweets!

same at the cradle, traffic levels are so low, that the cyclists can cycle as they want because there is no impending danger.

i am afraid not, and i am not making excuses for any of the cyclists at the cradle. i am merely illustrating the enviroment at the cradle and why it is like that.

but from a point of teaching other cyclists, the bigger groups more experienced riders should try setting good examples and then tell other cyclists what they are doing wrong.

but it is a case of, placing a bowl of sweets on the table and telling your child that he/she can only have 1 sweet. if you sit there, they will listen and only have 1, if you leave, they will finish the rest of the sweets!

same at the cradle, traffic levels are so low, that the cyclists can cycle as they want because there is no impending danger.

I understand but the impending danger is the person who is gatvol of waiting for a passing chance - gets impatient and maybe doesn't quite pull across enough and clips a handlebar or a wheel - the trick 'somehow' is to prevent that scenario. The issue of - there is little or no traffic - it's the same as saying 'because there is little/no traffic, we want to sit next to our mates and have a chat and if you happen to pull up behind us while doing this - be sure to go around us.... the arrogance is astounding! It comes back to someone's comment - if you want to be considered traffic then you have to act like traffic.

And no I don't have an answer or a quick fix, but you can be sure -it will get worse before any action is taken!

No one actually seems to be learning anything from all this:blink: Its like a tennis match going back and forth and getting just as boring. Stop riding like inconsiderate idiots, obey the rules of the road and then no thumb tacks and everyone is happy :)

You would think common sense would prevail:unsure: from both sides, someone will eventually be killed as a result :(

No one actually seems to be learning anything from all this:blink: Its like a tennis match going back and forth and getting just as boring.

:D :D - Ha, Ha, Yeah, its a real fur ball, but, just shows that the complaints are pretty much the same from all sides of the spectrum, in 18 pages I cant recall a new "issue" been raised at all.

What bugs me here "and not aiming any bullets directly at you mygt" but maybe at your comments. So because there arent 100 000 cars its now acceptable to irritate and p!ss0ff 1 000 cars? Sorry that doesnt fly, Even if there are only 5 cars using the road, they have right of way, cyclists should be single file on the left hand side of the road end of debate.

I have bowls of candy all over my house and my kids wont touch them because if they do they will get donnered. If they dont get donner'd then yes they will help themselves.

Moral of the story, these chops cycling like this on public roads regardless of the location be it cradle, PE, Bloem CPT should get a moerse PK! Till they become adults drop "the we own the road attitude" and help everyone to coexist.

The longer cyclists try and justify this behaviour the quicker one of them will die, due to boopy traps, angry motorist or whatever. Even if you feel you have a strong point, the law is the law and a dead friend/relative will remain dead.

Yip, it won't be a fur ball when another cyclist gets run over! Use your nut man! CAR + Driver against CYCLE + CYCLIST : NO MATCH.

Stick to the rules of the road. At least be aware of on coming traffic from both directions and make space, both sides of the road for the cars! It is common sense. I am not fighting or accusing anybody of anything, just stating the obvious and if you do not want to listen, tell your friends not to come running with tear filled eyes when you are killed by a motorist!

I have said my piece and that is that, use it or lose it, it's up to you.mellow.gif

guys, i am not disagreeing with you and your statements and that the cyclists need to follwo the rules. we have to look past posting comments on what the rules of the roads are, cos nobody seems to listen or more like obey them.

we need to identify the root of the problem and then stop it at that point. i have just illustrated to why the cyclists are not obeying the traffic laws and specifically at the cradle. it is because they have the opportunity to do so without any consequence.

so maybe if you use your nut, we need to find a solution to this problem. and throwing tacks on the on the side of the road will not help, cos now the cyclists are aware of the tacks being thrown on the side, and will now cycle in the middle of the road to avoid having any puncture.

maybe forming a cradle route cycle committee that is delegated to patrol the cradle route on weekends and to enforce the law. maybe the resturants and coffe shops that benefit from the cycling can assist.

guys lets move forward. not as easy as saying "follow the rules" and then wave your wand and alls well.

GT i agree its time we all stopped pointing fingers. We the cyclists are to blame for the

cradle situation and note i am NOT blamming ALL cyclists i think i have been riding long enough

to know better. But there are those in the bigger clubs and the bigger clubs themselves that should be setting the example.

Its quite simple, we the cyclist have been given a cycle lane to ride in from the outset of the

cradle route (note the yellow markings). I for the love of me cannot see why it is so difficult for

the guys to use it. We the cyclists are abusing a privelidge that we have been granted by the roads

department of Mogale City and the residence. By the same standard it does not give anyone who resides

in the cradle the right to take the law into his/her own hands. Tacks Cowardly to say the least.

Never the less, I for one will continue to ask those who i see riding in the middle of the road to please make

use of the yellow lane provided and to please ride no more than two abreast and where the need arises to ride single file.

I beleive that those of us that really give a damn will help, and in this manner we may succeed to make the cradle a

little bit more of a safer place not only for us the cyclists but for the residence and put an end to this volatile issue.

Guys maybe its time for US to SET the EXAMPLE to those who also use the roads in what ever means of transport they may use.

Yes i know its harder said than done as i can also get aggressive with others on the road that dont see for looking and think

that they have the sole right to use the roads. Aggression only breeds aggression.

For those out there with the attitude that THEY CANNOT MAKE ME RIDE IN THE YELLOW LANE. THEY DONT OWN THE ROAD!!!!!

Wake Up>> Neither do you!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should think twice maybe thrice about those who you just might leave behind should, God forbid you become yet another

statistic or some other cyclist who just might happen be a good mate of yours, all because OF YOUR ATTITUDE!!!!!!!

I Ride the cradle every weekend and neighbouring areas, Road and MTB.

I have seen first hand how the large road cyclist groups take over the whole road with no regard for any other road users!!! :angry:

Sick!! No wonder the motorist/residents in the cradle hate the Roadies who use these roads for cycling.