Why you are not welcome in the cradle

Cradleresident

why is humility so hard to find?

because most hubbers couldn't find it at CRC? smiley9.gif

totalcycling.com ?

You people disgust me - whats wrong with Chris Willemse Cycles!!!

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

keeping your clubmates riding in a responsible manner isn't easy. we have been quite successful in making riders in our bunch of the riding inside the yellow line where there is one and in single file where there isn't one. yes we do have the odd member that takes a bit of time to realise that he/she is in the wrong by riding to the right of the yellow line but they are told politely to "come inside please ' date=' its much safer". the rules of our rides are repeated at the start of every club ride and in newsletters. we don't shout and carry on if one of our riders shoot a red light , it just means that they ride on their own until we catch up and 9/10 someone will say "that wasn't very clever" and there's nothing lekker about being "in the eyes".

all of our committe members cycle so we know whats going on week in and week out with our members and our rides.

20091110_075146_thumbnailimage.jpg  

[/quote']

The irony of the above is that picture shows a lot of cyclists riding illegally. 

On a more serious note, an probably the above is a good example, Eldron's comments are spot on - it is about mutual respect.  But mutual respect requires all parties bring that hat to the negotiation.  When CradleResident meets with AM and co, what does he bring to the party to help remedy the situation.  I could suggest communicating with other residents on cycle safety, respect for other road users, perhaps a plea to keep to the speed limit.  That sort of thing is what engenders respect, and I don't feel that motorists are in a position to demand respect simply because their vehicles are killing machines.

linnega2009-11-10 14:48:24

Just got back and heres 2 things to think about

First there are some residents who are not like me trying to solve the situation. Did anyone read Kens email' date='so maybe you can deal with Ken and his way of doing things

Second, just had a near accident with some school kids.

Recently a lot of yellow bikes have been donated to school kids out here (before you all go off, I /we we welcome this for various reasons)

Coming round the bend at the local school, (blind bend) about 3 or 4 kids in the middle of the road playing on their bicycles.

I wonder where they learnt that it is ok to ride in the middle of the road.

Anyway this is getting so messy and Im seriously thinking of going back to the community and asking them to take over.

Like i said some of these comments are like taxi drivers. We demand this , we demand that, and just get in our way and we you will show you what happens. If you dont like us riding through red robots, tough, new SA. Live with it.

As soon as one of these taxi drivers gets into an accident, then its everybody else's fault, U hate taxi drivers, its becauce u dont drive in a taxi day in day out and the list goes on.

Well my closing post for the day is , you get what you give,

If you go anywhere looking for trouble, i am sure you are going to find it.

Maybe Ken must take over.

To all the cyclysts who have a brain, thanks

[/quote']

When I read your first post I was immediately sympathetic to you and your cause.

However, you had to know when you started this thread that there would be supporters and opponents. As it turned out the supporters FAR outnumbered the rest, yet here you are making comments akin to "wait till your father gets home! Then you'll be sorry!". Why the hostility towards everyone? Why should I fear this "Ken" person?

After this post I'm only sympathetic to your cause. As far as I'm concerned this thread no longer has any merit, since the originator has now effectively sunk to the level of the inglorious few.

BTW - I'm not sure which part of the Cradle Route you're referring to regarding the kids on bicycles. The section I'm most familiar with has a speed limit of 60 km/h, but in any event a sensible motorist knows that blind corners should be approached a speed that allows for unforeseen situations. A school zone has it's own set of parameters for caution. But, as a concerned Cradle resident you'd know that, wouldn't you?

Lotus2009-11-10 10:37:05

Look at the stats here...if each one of these 14000 odd readers just decide to act considerately (if they aren't already) on their weekend rides...then problem solved!! It's got to start somewhere...

20091110_133152_thread_read.jpg

Just got back and heres 2 things to think about

First there are some residents who are not like me trying to solve the situation. Did anyone read Kens email' date='so maybe you can deal with Ken and his way of doing things

Second, just had a near accident with some school kids.

Recently a lot of yellow bikes have been donated to school kids out here (before you all go off, I /we we welcome this for various reasons)

Coming round the bend at the local school, (blind bend) about 3 or 4 kids in the middle of the road playing on their bicycles.

I wonder where they learnt that it is ok to ride in the middle of the road.

Anyway this is getting so messy and Im seriously thinking of going back to the community and asking them to take over.

Like i said some of these comments are like taxi drivers. We demand this , we demand that, and just get in our way and we you will show you what happens. If you dont like us riding through red robots, tough, new SA. Live with it.

As soon as one of these taxi drivers gets into an accident, then its everybody else's fault, U hate taxi drivers, its becauce u dont drive in a taxi day in day out and the list goes on.

Well my closing post for the day is , you get what you give,

If you go anywhere looking for trouble, i am sure you are going to find it.

Maybe Ken must take over.

To all the cyclysts who have a brain, thanks

[/quote']CR, following on your recent post which already started to show serious leaks in your case this just proves to me that you ARE part of the problem.

You don't get the unanimous response of "Oh kind sir, thank you for pointing out our selfish behaviour, we shall henceforth all bow to your whim and convenience" so you revert to emotional blackmail.

The fact that there are kids in the road is EXACTLY why we need all road users to be  careful.

When I was a kid we were in the road all the time and society expected that ADULTS were responsible enough to be able to look out for the kids. For you to come on here and lay some blame on the cycling community at large for the actions of children at play is despicable.

Now I am certain that your motives are borne purely out of a pure self centered "I have rights which are more important than yours" attitude!

Buddy, get a life!

I'm quite amazed at how many people defend the cyclists in the wrong ?! You know it's wrong but you vehemently support them and bash the people pointing out the wrongs ?

One cannot justify the wrongs by pointing out the wrongs that other people do. It just doesn't work that way.

As to the hooting, i didnt hoot once on the whole route and yes it was so tempting , but your father in law (if it was him) was riding in the middle of the road and i hooted once to move over and then again to move over which he didnt do. I then managed to get a gap to pass him and he  shouted i should pull over, which i did. So he says i jumped in my car becauce i thought i was going to get a hiding. Maybe ask him again. If you want i can show u the video, but hey if thats what you like to think, then thats ok.

Did you not hoot the whole route or just twice at the same cyclist? Confused

why is humility so hard to find?

because most hubbers couldn't find it at CRC? smiley9.gif

totalcycling.com ?
You people disgust me - whats wrong with Chris Willemse Cycles!!!

they don't have a special on humility? smiley6.gif

Clap i say, the clud in question needs to be fined, they need to take responceablityClap for what thier riders are doing.

as per usual there are two sides to a story.i know the person in the photo and have heard his version of events. he has admitted to inadvertently driving into the middel of the road momentarily and apologises to the motorist involved. the motorist has obviously never had a fine or done anything wrong on the road. however, at 60k/ph if a motorist sat behind me pressing his hooter,passed me and slammed on brakes in front of me to prove a point, i would also want to klap him into next week. if the cyclist had come off his bike and been injured or killed because this impatient fool is tired of cyclists, how would we all feel now.

I have followed the thread with great interest, not only w.r.t. the issues raised here but with the way people raise them. I also wanted to post my 2c on the numerous topics issues, but I got to thinking why do that? Everything that could have been said has been said in the first 10% of the discussion, and then everything just gets rehashed and more personal.

So I got thinking and eventually arrived at this position. Please, read and rate yourself, I'm sure this exercise could provide a lot of insight into the situation and ultimately ourselves.

Are you in position A: Since the start of this thread my original opinion of the issues raised have NOT changed and if anything have just been reconfirmed, be it ANY or combination of these.

1. Cyclists are wankers

2. Drivers are wankers

3. Cradle residents are wankers

4. I'm a legitimate road user be it in a car or on a bike and I'm entitled to my rights.

5.  A bit of mutual respect from all parties would go a long way to resolve the issues.

6. There are much bigger issues, why bother about this triviality in the greater scheme of things

7. Only certain entities are to blame, be it individual cyclists/drivers/clubs and these should be dealt with individually.

8. Group IQ is inversely proportional to the number of members, therefore I ride alone.

9. I'm an elitist MTB and laugh at your roadie issues. Let the cars and road bakes fight it out and lets see who's left standing.

10. The world is a man's urinal.

11. Whatever else has been mentioned thus far.

Are you in position B: Since the start of this thread my opinion of these issues have changed, be it to any of the opinion listed so far or maybe any combination of the following

12. I'm now more aware of the concerns from the other camp, be it the users of the road on either the right or left of the yellow line (assuming either are where they are meant to be) and acknowledge their grievances to some degree.

13. I'm now more aware of the impact that my driving/cycling on other road users and will act accordingly

14. I will endeavour to educate others about these issues, be it from a driving or cycling perspective

Should you be in position B, please indicate if you've made a positive (+) change or negative (-) change regarding your opinions of the matters. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So the options are A, B(+) or B(-).

I'm a B(+)

Then there is a option C: The author of the post is a wannabe Dr Phil and should spend more time on his thesis than trying to philosophise on a public forum that is of no consequence

i think the net result is.... bigger slower groups cause more inconvenience to traffic? Fast groups are generally strung out in single file, or two abreast sucking wheel, and are smaller... Some how the big clubs need to look at how they group there slow rides.. perhaps 2 groups per route, and on 3 or 4 different routes?? groups no bigger then 10 riders??