Why Titanium Full-Susser?

RodTi

Johan, I'll look for that book...sounds interesting.

If i cannot find it - will you give us a synopsis of this particular chapter? Sounds like something I'd like to know...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The section on Sheldon Brown's webpage makes for interesting reading. Even if you merely use Titanium for it's anti corrosion properties, it is worth it.

Of course I recently bought a titanium mtb frame so that makes me biased.

I'll have a bash at explaining this...

Basically when you pedal away on your bike' date=' a number of forces act on the frame. The two biggest are on the power stroke, the first being the physical push of the pedal, and the second being the act of pulling on the handlebar. Now we

cut cut cut cut cut cut

[/quote']

ok guys... I was just trying to explain as simply as I knew how the reason why there was flex in laymans terms for slowbee, and what the flex was a result of... sheesh!

Aag Eiger, relax my friend. Nobody is kakking you out. We're just nit-picking. Pretend we're just a bunch of okes around a fire, drinking beer and laughing at the drunk one that can't subtract 5 from 10.

You see how someone whipped out a periodic table and corrected my vague memories of the atomic weights of steel, vs Ti vs alu.

Stick around this is fun, or better than TV in anyway.

LOL

Thanks but I harbour no ill, I been around here long enough to know how it works! And I love these threads with the different opinions and voices... it's a learning curve for even know-it-all's like me Big%20smile

And then there is the Jeff Jones 29er Spaceframe. Comes standard with a cult following:

20091111_134656_jones.jpg

I WANT ONE!!!!

I WANT ONE!!!!

I'd imagine you'd be the first and only one in SA.

He also makes these H-bars, weird looking yes, but I think he's on to something..

I WANT ONE!!!!

I'd imagine you'd be the first and only one in SA.

He also makes these H-bars' date=' weird looking yes, but I think he's on to something..
[/quote']

I did a bit of lurking on some forums like "frameforum" and "bikeradar", seems like the bike got a lot of good comments, same for the H bar. I tried making a set based on the pictures but it didn't work out so well... think I'll try again!

I did a bit of lurking on some forums like "frameforum" and "bikeradar"' date=' seems like the bike got a lot of good comments, same for the H bar. I tried making a set based on the pictures but it didn't work out so well... think I'll try again!
[/quote']

From your nick, are you with the engineering works of the same name?

Ninja: to pass it out of hand and attempt to belittle the facts contained in textbooks is more than misleading: its disingenous. Whole industries were built on those very textbooks. Maybe they all got it wrong?

Besides' date=' it was very clearly noted that physical charactistics of alloys will differ from the elemental ones.  

[/quote']

I think maybe we got each other the wrong way that time.

From the textbook, Fe = 7.874 g?cm−3, Ti = 4.506 g?cm−3, Al =2.70 g?cm−3 as found under normal everyday conditions. This is more in line with what JB was saying earlier, but using the wrong teminology ( which you correctly corrected ). Does it not make sense though to compare the weight considering the density.

Anyway, at the end of the day, you can make a good frame out of all 3. The differences in the material merely determine the end solution, like the fact that steel frames have smaller diameter tubes, and Alu frames have nice hydroforming etc.

Had a look at quite a few of the Ti full-sussers - appears that many of them don't use Ti in the rear triangle, but prefer Aluminium - presumably for the reasons proffered here...

As for the Slingshot -... No thanks!

While I dream about a Jones I'm quite tempted to get one of these - and it has nothing to do with anything other than I think they're quite pretty ;-)

20091112_063001_rockstar_2_1024.jpg

#Pete#2009-11-12 06:30:27

Ti does have wonderful flex properties in that the yongs modulus curve is less steep when compared to steel. What this means is for a spring of siminlar dimensions you get a flatter spring rate. Advantageous.

However if titanium was so wonderfulwhy don;t they make guitar strings out of the stuff.....

Because it's no as good a spring material as Steel is thats why.

titaniums fatigue life is awesome due to its toughness (this also means it wil outlast a steel spring)

None of these properties are really advantageous in a bicycle frame.

Where titaniumn wins isthat it does not corrode beyond the surface oxide layer  and therefore will maintain it's properties indefinately in the elastic range of the material.

It's not that light whichis why designers use the toughness nd hardness of certain alloys to  use thinner walls and which can still operate within the elastic range.

titanium is a boutique material.

That siad, I would certainly buy a titanium road bike. It's just stunning to look at and the designers seem to e able to build in excellent ride quality for a lighter weight than steel.

Aluminium is still a better frame material though