Eggbeater C vs Candy SL

SteveS

Hi I have been using my Eggbeaters C for about two years now and they are tired (have already done a seal / bearing replacment on them which only lasted six months). My question is how does the Candy's compare to eggbeaters. Shamus has some demo Candy SL's for R 800.

Has anyone got experience with both types and which do you prefare? If I don't go for the demo Candys I will end up bying the Eggbeater SC.

Thanks

Have used both. Pretty much 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Did find that eggbeaters cleared mud slightly better though.

Good question. I'd like to add - What are the main differences between the C and SL that make the SL's lighter and more expensive?

Hi Steve, I have used both and find for longer rides or chasing around the bike park (Lots of standing) my feet hurt around the cleats on the eggbeaters.

The Candys offer a better platform to spread my bulk over the pedal without the discomfort.

Thug I went to the eggbeater website, there are rebuild kits for the Candy. I think the Smarties could not be rebuilt. Maybe Shamus can give us the low down.

Goldmember. That would make the Candys  ideal for the SS, considering all the standing being done.

Have used both. Pretty much 6 of one' date=' half a dozen of the other. Did find that eggbeaters cleared mud slightly better though.[/quote']

the other main difference is the area in contact with the studs of your shoe. I have indicated the contact area in RED

The Candy's body is longer and therefore contact more of the shoe. In my opinion it is easier to "clip out" and rest the foot on the Candy - should you need to - than with the Eggbeater

20091113_082016_contact_area_Ca.jpg

a misconception about the Eggbeaters is that you press down on the wings - The contact area is indicated in RED

20091113_082113_contact_area_Eg.jpg

Good question. I'd like to add - What are the main differences between the C and SL that make the SL's lighter and more expensive?

Both Eggbeater and Candy C have a Chrome axle

Both Eggbeater and Candy Sl have a Steel axle

As far as I'm aware' date=' you cannot service the Candy's whereas the normal Eggbeaters you can.[/quote']

ALL Candy and Eggbeater pedals can be serviced - Service kits area avaialble for both types of pedals. The kits differ so get the correct one.

There are no service kits for Smarty's and MXR's, but this does not mean that they cannot be serviced.

Both these pedals use a cone and ball bearing system - this system seems to  require a little adjustment at times.

It is quite simple to do and instuctions are available.

The problems we have picked up with the Smarty's have been because the minor tweeking has not been done and the ball bearings have fallen out of the pedal.

Thanks Shamus.

I have ordered the green Candy SL's. THey will work perfectly with my Green Scadal 29er SS.

(PS. Are the cleats exactly the same for Candys and Eggbeaters?)
SteveS2009-11-14 02:26:12