TYGA

10 years from now the majority of "serious" MTB wheels will be:  

97 members have voted

1. 1. 10 years from now the majority of "serious" MTB wheels will be:

• 26inch
    • 29inch
    • 650B is the future

Did someone say fad ?

29 'er bikes have been around long enough to not be a fad or flavour of the month, however I don't believe they will take over, as for calling them circus bikes, funny bikes or what ever don't knock it till you've tried it.

smiley32.gif smiley32.gif to GoLefty for a great response in his first post.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im still not convinced on 29er bikes' date=' if they are really that amazingly fast, why havnt burry and co started riding them yet?

[/quote']

caveman doesn't ride crap

Jip, it seems both the Epic and Stumpjumper 2010 ranges contain 29er versions, so the big S is backing the fad. Even have their own rims and tires to boot.
chickenrun4me2009-11-26 13:54:56

well the big is never one to miss out on a fad are they...

i had to laugh when Shebeen pointed out that the caveman doesnot ride crap and then he posts a link to that S..... LOL

oh the irony

I was riding a short very rocky section of singletrack just yesterday. The rocks are all fairly large and unmovable and towards the end of the section, if the line isn't perfect, and mine never is, I lose momentum and my front/back wheel just stop dead against the next rock it meets. Could not help to think what would happen if:

1. I did not suck so much at the technical stuffs

2. I had a 29er.

Would be cool do repeat the section in a 29er and see.

20091126_130642_IMG_2400.jpg

amazing how stupid the normal 26" bike look compared to the 29er, looks like the wheels are way to small for the frame..

amazing how stupid the normal 26" bike look compared to the 29er' date=' looks like the wheels are way to small for the frame..
[/quote']

For a minute I wanted to agree with you but then I had another look. That 26er is not a normal MTB. There is a meter of travel in that fork and that is what makes it look odd. Put on a X-country fork and you're back to normal.

Lefty, at first I though the 29er looks OK, but after your comment and another look, I'm back on my 26er, going for a ride.

Chickenrun4me....

On a 29er your back/front wheel would have stopped against the rock just like yesterday.

Time will tell, but a 29 inch wheel is not as strong as a 26 inch wheel if you keep the spoke count the same. I wonder if we won't see more wheel failures. As it is, failures due to wheels collapsing on standard MTB wheels are very rare, those wheels are incredibly strong.

that is one fugly machine.

notice how ungainly the front end looks' date='

notice how far aft of the headtube the downtube joins the frame.

no thanks, I would not touch that thing with a barge pole.

just because it can be done does not mean that it should be done.

[/quote']

That one is a prototype. Here's another prototype from Intense:

20091127_004225_intense-web.jpg

On a 29er your back/front wheel would have stopped against the rock just like yesterday.

Depends...good example is, the rocky climb at the bottom of groenkloof on klapperkop side close to the fence. On a 26 bike you have to have a almost a perfect line to get to the top without putting your foot down, and it's a mission. On a 29er it's MUCH easier, and your line choice does not need to be no where near as perfect.

I wonder how many armchair 29er riders there are in this thread...

At the end of the day, is it better or not? In my experience it's defiantly, but then who cares, it's way more fun to ride, and that's all that really matters in the end.

as for calling them circus bikes' date=' funny bikes or what ever don't knock it till you've tried it.
QUOTE']

As soon as I get a clown suit I'll come try yours Boris Wink

I don't really want to get involved in a "which is better" debate.

From my own experience...

I come off a Cannondale Rush Carbon which is a great bike in anybodies books. It was under 11kg's and i didn't have the lightest wheels on the bike.

Now i ride a hard tail 29er. The bike is probably 2kg's heavier than the Rush i had.

I'm 6'4" and always felt like i was sitting "on top" of my 'Dale. The 29er just fits me better, i feel more comfortable on it.

I'm a pretty average mountainbiker, will never be any good at it, i'm to big and heavy. Cry

... but what i have found is that i climb better with the 29er. Where i used to struggle to keep my front wheel on the ground on very steep, technical climbs on the 'Dale, now i don't have that problem anymore.

I won't call myself technically good on a mtb either, but i'm not useless. On the 29er i decent faster because obstacles that used to slow me down does not anymore.

I ride more XC/Marathon type events and for that my bike is perfect, for me anyways. Yes i would like it if it was maybe a little lighter but i'm never going to win any races. Not going to break the bank because of it. What i use it for and the level of riding i do, i will never go back to 26" wheels.

Whether you race XC, do Trials, or All Mountain\DH is your thing, go with what will work best for you.

Give Burry, or any other top MTB'er a high end 29er, and they will still kill most people on the bike. At the end of the day there is no substitute for talent and class. He will beat most on a hypermarket special for that matter. Whether it has 26" or 29" inch wheels, it doesn't matter.

Depends...good example is' date=' the rocky climb at the bottom of groenkloof on klapperkop side close to the fence. On a 26 bike you have to have a almost a perfect line to get to the top without putting your foot down, and it's a mission. On a 29er it's MUCH easier, and your line choice does not need to be no where near as perfect.

I wonder how many armchair 29er riders there are in this thread...

At the end of the day, is it better or not? In my experience it's defiantly, but then who cares, it's way more fun to ride, and that's all that really matters in the end.[/quote']

i can imagine it'd get up that claimb better.

I don't really want to get involved in a "which is better" debate.From my own experience...I come off a Cannondale Rush Carbon which is a great bike in anybodies books. It was under 11kg's and i didn't have the lightest wheels on the bike. Now i ride a hard tail 29er. The bike is probably 2kg's heavier than the Rush i had. I'm 6'4" and always felt like i was sitting "on top" of my 'Dale. The 29er just fits me better' date=' i feel more comfortable on it. I'm a pretty average mountainbiker, will never be any good at it, i'm to big and heavy. Cry... but what i have found is that i climb better with the 29er. Where i used to struggle to keep my front wheel on the ground on very steep, technical climbs on the 'Dale, now i don't have that problem anymore. I won't call myself technically good on a mtb either, but i'm not useless. On the 29er i decent faster because obstacles that used to slow me down does not anymore. I ride more XC/Marathon type events and for that my bike is perfect, for me anyways. Yes i would like it if it was maybe a little lighter but i'm never going to win any races. Not going to break the bank because of it. What i use it for and the level of riding i do, i will never go back to 26" wheels.Whether you race XC, do Trials, or All Mountain\DH is your thing, go with what will work best for you. Give Burry, or any other top MTB'er a high end 29er, and they will still kill most people on the bike. At the end of the day there is no substitute for talent and class. He will beat most on a hypermarket special for that matter. Whether it has 26" or 29" inch wheels, it doesn't matter. ?

[/quote']

Best post in this entire thread - smiley32.gif

I'd still like to test ride a 29er, so if anyone has a small 15-16" 29er lying around give me a call............but i do fear its going to be a bit funny with  those big wheels.....don't know how those fisher girls do it......

my 700x35c on the cross bike alreday feel like wagon wheels......

kiwi where's the 16" demo scandal Approve

Its also interesting that when Gary Fisher came here 2 years ago I managed to have dinner with him, and he explained that back then he had toyed with the idea of scrapping the 29er range of bikes because in the 10-15years he's put into it there wasn't a noteable growth in the idea. Luckily his marketing department talked him into sticking it out for 2 more years on the condition that in those 2 years if it hadn't taken off he can scrap it...Guess what happened? If you have a look at their website there's hardly any 26ers left...