Bike Purchasing - Help required

bobbie

R3000 unfortuatley wont get you much for new, RSP (you get them to come down in price with negotiation) for an entry level road bike is Avelanche Stratus and Raleigh RC1000 starting at R3295, Newest 3.0 comes in at R3409 and Scwinn Circuit at R3599 all with Sora components.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

her bucket was R3000 ? Confused

She's gonna need about 3k just to get started with cycling kit (helmet' date=' clothing and shoez)
[/quote']

she has been purchasing all those things already, not shoes etc. but still.

tight budget it is i am afraid. was quoted good price on RC3000 and she is thinking about that too...

but hey, you guys are awesome for responding and assisting.   I really appreciate it !!

Hi Bobbie, welcome & stuff.

If I can add my 2c:

I'd recommend the Fuji for its carbon fork (comments above) adjustable stem: she's gonna buy on initial comfort and will need to make setup changes as she becomes more comfartable on the bike. This typically the newbie rider from relatively upright to a more stretched out position.

I'd hunt for a bike with 2006 or prior parts on and negotiate a good price on it. Alternatively get her to wait a month or two and buy Tiagra/105 spec. This will generally be accompanied by higher spec wheels and other kit as well.

So mostly: What they said! Good luck and keep us posted on what she decides

I see Solomons is advertising the Fuji newest 1.0 (06) at R 3899.95. With Tiagra/105.

They are normally flexible on pricing so give them a ring and see what they can do. (012) 546-0243

IanJ, EduardoBianchi, Scotty, Slowjoe, Slowpoke, Gumpole, Mampara and Gman1834 -

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU - for all the advise, phone numbers etc. etc.Thumbs%20Up 

She took the plunge, scraped some more SA Rands together and her new baby arrives today - She went for the RC2000 - got a very good deal from another lbs that she just could not turn down.

I dont know who is more excited, her or me! 

thanks again all of you, you are all GREAT!Smile 

excellent! may she have many many happy kms on her new baby. oh, we forgot to ask you to warn her.... she'd best start saving for the upgrades now, this is a highly addictive sport Wink

...oh' date=' we forgot to ask you to warn her.... she'd best start saving for the upgrades now, this is a highly addictive sport Wink[/quote']

SLOWPOKE! We normally wait 1 month before we issue this warning! That way her CC has some time to recover! LOL

Bobbie, thanks for helping bring someone to the sport, you rock! Check out the rides in your area - quite a pleasant experience joining up with hubbers on the road (or dirt).

...oh' date=' we forgot to ask you to warn her.... she'd best start saving for the upgrades now, this is a highly addictive sport Wink[/quote']

SLOWPOKE! We normally wait 1 month before we issue this warning! That way her CC has some time to recover! LOL

Bobbie, thanks for helping bring someone to the sport, you rock! Check out the rides in your area - quite a pleasant experience joining up with hubbers on the road (or dirt).

EB

Best she realises this at an early stage that way she won't spend money on  unnecessary stuff like food, retirement, clothing, rent, education etcLOL

EB

Best she realises this at an early stage that way she won't spend money on  unnecessary stuff like food' date=' retirement, clothing, rent, education etcLOL
[/quote']

There's other ways to spend money? Why wasn't I told about this.

EB

Best she realises this at an early stage that way she won't spend money on  unnecessary stuff like food, retirement, clothing, rent, education etcLOL

Ha ha LOL she has been watching all my priorities change every since i got my baby....   obviously its contagiousl...  anyway...

Amashova here we come!

94.7 here we come

Argus 2008 here we come           and all the other ones in between!

The Terrible Twins (sort of) have arrived! Now we must travel up North to come and meet some more hubbers!!

Nice one Bobbie

We'll see you at the Shova, maybe you can organise a get together of sorts for before the race

EB

Best she realises this at an early stage that way she won't spend money on  unnecessary stuff like food' date=' retirement, clothing, rent, education etcLOL
[/quote']

There's other ways to spend money? Why wasn't I told about this.

A lot to learn you have, grasshopper

EB, i'm with wolverine... why waste a month of cycling money on other nonsense, the sooner she starts teh cycling fund the better!

mampara, don't worry that you won't told about other ways to spend money - they are all minor and unimportant

Nice one Bobbie

We'll see you at the Shova' date=' maybe you can organise a get together of sorts for before the race
[/quote']

Have a confession to make here and let you in that i have already been scheming about a hubbers get together at the Shova.   Have to find out how many will be coming to Durbs etc. and who would be interested in getting together before or after or both?

working on a venue not too far from registration and the finish.... details to follow...

any of you out there interested in this?

Tongue