Handle bar length?

juggie

Can you tell me what the correct handle bar length should be?

I have a 640mm bar with end levers and feel that is too long.

Depends on the type of riding and shoulder width and preference.

Downhill, trails etc have wider handlebars for better control, while xc bars are not as wide.

I rode my handlebars at normal length for a year and recently shortended them by about 40mm and it feels a lot more comfortable.

If you think that they're too wide then cut them shorter. Mine is 640mm at the moment, but I can go even shorter and I have kinda broad shoulders.

Maybe a bit wider than your shoulders, because you want your chest to be open to breath easy.

I would say make them a bit shorter each time and go for test ride and continue this untill you feel comfortable.

Just my opinion.

Downhill' date=' trails etc have wider handlebars for better control, while xc bars are not as wide.

[/quote']

Why is that though? I know longer bar would result in a smaller movement having a greater effect due to leverage, but is that not then counter-effective?
Wernervdmerwe2009-12-06 08:41:32

smaller movement won't have a greater effect. It's the other way around.

The same movement would result in a smaller turning angle.

This gives you more control. Imagine riding a downhill with your hands at the stem. It will be very difficult keeping your lines.

Also more leverage for slack head angles, which can be useful. Have needed to haul pretty hard on my bars before today to keep a line in roughness - my 710's helped a heap there.

The wider the better, I'm riding 680mm bars on my XC bike, nothing better, but there is no "correct" bar width its personal...

it all comes down to setup. My recommendation is to also experiment with stem lenght. The wider you go, the shorter stem you might want to evaluate. Works like a triangle. I'm just thinking that if you go to wide and to long then you might end up with shoulder pain on long rides.

I wasn't comfortable with 710, 680 or 640 and been riding 580mm flat bar with 110 to 100 mm stem for last 4 years.

Its all preference at the end.

Move the grips inward first before you cut the bars as once you have cut you Can't go back again!

a quick easy way to test is to drop and do 20 push ups... maybe 5 if you are unfit...then while you're down there measure (or have someone help you measure) the outside of where you put your hands naturally.

That will give you a fair idea. add 20 mm or so if you want bar ends.

wide handlebars have lots of space for gadgets :)

the trance came with wiiide handlebars. wanted to have them cut but a friend suggested i ride with them for a while and cut after 2 months. I love them now - i can force the bike in the direction i want to go far easier than i can the hardtail. the geometry might have something to do with it, though.

at 24 hrs, the first forest-lap was a bit scary (almost touched tree trunks a few times) but got used to that quite quickly and on later laps i wondered why it bothered me.

I actually took a hacksaw to the 24 hrs in case I needed to cut my bars down to size. First lap in the forest was a good motivating factor for the emergency surgery, but the storm overtook events somewhat. My bars are 720mm with the ends, wide in any event, but with my small shoulder frame I think its right to saw off 1/2cm at a time or so.

Like Techguy put it, its personal. I went from a 600 mm flat bar to a 685 mm wide, low rise, riser bar. Will never go back to a flat bar. The width of my Easton gives me much more confidence on rocky technical terrain and I find climbing up rooty rocky easier due to the increased leverage. Again its personal.