8spd to 9spd. What do you think?

Justin

Upgrading from 8 speed to 9 speed.

What do you think of the budget buys?

20091230_064805_buys.JPG

Any recommended changes?Justin2009-12-30 06:48:13

If all you want to do is change from 8 speed to 9 speed you can prbably get away with using the 8 speed cranks. I have done this on one of my bikes and worked fine.

I assume you have integrated shifter/brake levers hence the purchase of the new levers.

Coming back to the cranks, I cant be sure but it looks like the cranks you have selected have a splined BB interface and you have selected a square taper BB. These will not work together. You need a different BB for those cranks.

Otherwise all looks good.

Yes, I noticed the BB is wrong. Changed it to an octalink splined bb. smiley9.gif

And yes, I have integrated shifters currently. I think the avids should be a big upgrade.

Also, my crank and BB is a bit worn, so I might as well upgrade them at the same time...shipping costs considered.

Octalink is rubbish. Cough up and go for Hollowtech.

Octalink was a flop and Octalink II just glossed over the bad design in the splines, not the small bearings.

Hollowtech is a real upgrade whereas square taper to Octalink is a downgrade.

• 8 years later...

thread revival!!!

I'm a mtber.

I'm a cheapskate

but I like my roadbike too.

about 18months ago i took the massive plunge and upgraded my roadbike from Sora 8spd to ultegra 9speed, and even got some carbon on it too! (my mtb is now 2x10, so that's still ok in the scheme of things)

now being a cheapskate, is there any 9speed stuff that is generally seen as "obsolete" and "worthless"? I'm specifically looking at road wheelsets, but from what i can see most 9spd wheelsets are 10sd compatible. I'd be more than happy to take a nice lightweight race rad wheelset that is only 9spd but sitting in your garage collecting dust(if such a thing exists)

I would not consider a change from Sora 8 speed to Ultegra 9 speed as much of an upgrade.  Ultegra 9 speed was replaced with the 10 speed in around 2005, so a 9 speed you buy now has been around the block more than a few times.  It is impossible to get new parts so you will be maintaining the groupset with Sora 9 speed parts anyway.  My opinion is that it is not worth "upgrading" older road bikes.  Second hand road bikes go for such reasonable prices that you may as well sell your old and get a newer one.  As for the wheels the (Shimano) hubs are 8/9/10 speed compatible.

I would not consider a change from Sora 8 speed to Ultegra 9 speed as much of an upgrade.  Ultegra 9 speed was replaced with the 10 speed in around 2005, so a 9 speed you buy now has been around the block more than a few times.  It is impossible to get new parts so you will be maintaining the groupset with Sora 9 speed parts anyway.  My opinion is that it is not worth "upgrading" older road bikes.  Second hand road bikes go for such reasonable prices that you may as well sell your old and get a newer one.  As for the wheels the (Shimano) hubs are 8/9/10 speed compatible.

thanks will just look for obsolete 10spd wheels then.

...the term "upgrade" was a bit tongue in cheek!

I actually sold a mid 90's model giant and got a mid 2000's BMC roadracer.

so it is an upgrade of sorts and dropped about 3kgs in the process, but i'm just 10 years behind the market. looking forward to my first disc roadbike in 2025!