Northern farm

doreen

At the risk of repeating what's already been said, this is really sad to hear about. It's not like we have that many nice MTB tracks in Jo'burg to start off with, and to "lose" one of them to crime would be a shame.

Going somewhere else is not the solution - making NF safe again is. Credit to Mandibles for meeting with the farm owners and looking to find a way of reaching this solution smiley32.gif. Our entry fees should at least entitle us to safe riding within the confines of the farm.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes' date=' the guys can just remove it. The idea of the Guardian unit is not really for theft prevention.

Its for your safety. People can check where you are and netstar can recover you. You can give the unit for your children to take to the movies etc. It has a emergency button on it that notifies some contacts and netstar of an emergency.[/quote']

Ah. Right. Shot for the explanation.

At the risk of repeating what's already been said' date=' this is really sad to hear about. It's not like we have that many nice MTB tracks in Jo'burg to start off with, and to "lose" one of them to crime would be a shame.

Going somewhere else is not the solution - making NF safe again is. Credit to Mandibles for meeting with the farm owners and looking to find a way of reaching this solution smiley32.gif. Our entry fees should at least entitle us to safe riding within the confines of the farm.[/quote']

i think to make the farm totally safe would be prohibitively expensive. the outer fences would have to be replaced with something bigger and better. that, of course, would increase the entrance fee. i somehow doubt the joburg metro would be interested in throwing money at the farm to improve infrastructure.

Very sad news indeed ...

And places to train are getting less and less ... seems that I will have to invest in an indoor trainer ... how boring ...

100% Barry' date=' will pop past as well, as mentioned. NF is a valuable resource for the MTB community. Plenty familys go there and those just starting out.
No way can we let this degenerate to scum!

For what it's worth, it may be a good idea to get input from Daytona who run an offroad area for quads and MX bikes. Was there last week and there is no perimeter fence I can see, they're on the doorstep of Diepsloot as well.

Setting up 'ambushes' to sort out these fellas is the kind of stupid gung ho plan that will backfire badly. Especially if one of these idiots has a gun/s.[/quote']

I have a couple of mates who are MX ers and they too are complaining that there is increasing incidents at Daytona.  Difference is a bike with a motor is a bit quicker than a pushbike. 

Hopefully the security co will shoot one of them - it only takes 1 to calm the rest down for a while.

I'm sure I read somewhere (Tread or Ride) that overseas they have tracking units that fit in the frame.

i think to make the farm totally safe would be prohibitively expensive... i somehow doubt the joburg metro would be interested in throwing money at the farm to improve infrastructure.

Sadly, have to agree with you on both counts. But directing some cash at a visible, reasonably well manned patrol on the perimeter could do the trick. I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to stomach a reaonable price increase to cover this cost, rather than sacrifice being able to safely ride at the farm altogether. I certainly would.

i think to make the farm totally safe would be prohibitively expensive... i somehow doubt the joburg metro would be interested in throwing money at the farm to improve infrastructure.

Sadly' date=' have to agree with you on both counts. But directing some cash at a visible, reasonably well manned patrol on the perimeter could do the trick. I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to stomach a reaonable price increase to cover this cost, rather than sacrifice being able to safely ride at the farm altogether. I certainly would.[/quote']

yeah, i agree with that. you can't put a price on safety.

Yes' date=' the guys can just remove it. The idea of the Guardian unit is not really for theft prevention.

Its for your safety. People can check where you are and netstar can recover you. You can give the unit for your children to take to the movies etc. It has a emergency button on it that notifies some contacts and netstar of an emergency.[/quote']

I am looking at getting one for each of the family that go off cycling on their own. I like the feature that warns of a change in speed or direction that gives an alarm which would alert if the cyclist is stopped or loaded into a vehicle or such which might of alerted someone to the plight of the poor guy who was dragged into the corn field.  I reckon we will not be able to all go around with guns drawn but we can use technology and other devices to make it a bit safer where we are unable to travel in the safety of a group.

I am looking at getting one for each of the family that go off cycling on their own. I like the feature that warns of a change in speed or direction that gives an alarm which would alert if the cyclist is stopped or loaded into a vehicle or such which might of alerted someone to the plight of the poor guy who was dragged into the corn field.  I reckon we will not be able to all go around with guns drawn but we can use technology and other devices to make it a bit safer where we are unable to travel in the safety of a group.

surely mtbing involves lots of changes of speed and direction.

surely mtbing involves lots of changes of speed and direction.

I would assume that anything above, say, 60Km/h sustained for a period of time would be cause for concern.  I know some of these units can be programmed to alert once it leaves a designated "Perimeter" as ir were.  Unfortunately it may be of no use if the device is not concealed or bolted to something making it difficult to remove.

I am looking at getting one for each of the family that go off cycling on their own. I like the feature that warns of a change in speed or direction that gives an alarm which would alert if the cyclist is stopped or loaded into a vehicle or such which might of alerted someone to the plight of the poor guy who was dragged into the corn field.? I reckon we will not be able to all go around with guns drawn but we can use technology and other devices to make it a bit safer where we are unable to travel in the safety of a group.

Unfortunately the alarms on change of speed and direction are only in the top end devices and they are big (intended for cars and trucks, not for bicycles). They make use of accelerometers that checks the acceleration in any of the 3 axis.

The insurance companies love these, seeing as they can check if you crashed your car at 2am outside Dros. smiley1.gif

Unfortunately the alarms on change of speed and direction are only in the top end devices and they are big (intended for cars and trucks' date=' not for bicycles). They make use of accelerometers that checks the acceleration in any of the 3 axis.

The insurance companies love these, seeing as they can check if you crashed your car at 2am outside Dros. smiley1.gif[/quote']

Then I am confused...officially.  Friend of mine has a small device he and his son each carry in their cycling shirt pockets and this gives an alarm when they go over a certain speed.  They were training and on a decent and the alarm triggered and his wife called to hear if all was ok.  So from this I gatherd that if you came to a sudden stop especially for some time as our friend in the corn field did an alarm would have triggered and someone would have been alerted of a possible problem.  Guess one has to always have a backup plan or inform people of where you are when you head out for a ride.  He mentioned that it sends a signal to his wifes PC at regular intervals..so she can check that they are ok when they go out..the system has a panic and has pre-programmed I think two or three emergency numbers that you can call if need be.

Yes, it does live tracking and so forth, but it does not have an accelerometer in. It won't pick up accidents, sudden stops or sudden turns.

It does not need an accelerometer as it uses gps data. Speed drop over super short time = sudden stop. Includes emergency button.

HR, you are right, there was a guy who was asking about a gadget that fits into the tube your seatpost goes into. It worked similar to a tracker and it was a permanent thingymabob. My search skills suck ... I tried to find it .. it was earlier last year I think ...