iBike power meter

but still think HR is just as good as power when it comes to training

Please PM bikemax with that commentBig%20smile

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause he'll disagree with you, and throw so much statistical data at you your head will spin... 

TNT12007-06-08 06:18:40

Hey...ek het vir my eie SRM betaal....maar ek moet se dit was die investment al klaar 100% wert!!!

i would love SRM... you can't tell me that if you have to do an E2 ride at say 250 watts that its not the same as doing and aerobic endurance ride between those same HR limits...

Hey...ek het vir my eie SRM betaal....maar ek moet se dit was die investment al klaar 100% wert!!!

Jip, jou investment het al klaar betaal want jy het die natuurlike talent om races te wen......Ek dink nie FanieFiets se investmnet sal te veel vrugte dra nie. Maar sal nog steeds lekker wees.

you can't tell me that if you have to do an E2 ride at say 250 watts that its not the same as doing and aerobic endurance ride between those same HR limits...

No - but the point is that using HR as a guide to your training intensity does not allow you to know if it is in fact an E2 ride @ 250w or not..

The intensity of any session and the training principles applied are not the issue here - the issue is being able to accurately measure exercise intensity as opposed to the body's response to that exercise.

If you were to ride a steady interval at a given power for 60 minutes it would very likely be a significantly different power than if you were to ride a 60 minute interval at a given HR. Under normal circumstances the HR would drift up over the course of the interval and so if you were using HR as a guide then power would be drifting down over the course of the interval (making the session far less effective)

HR is also affected by stress, fatigue, heat, caffeine and other variables that are not easy to compensate for when training.

Bottom line - measuring output directly is always going to be better than measuring the body's response to that output.

so the question is:  if i for example do this 60 min interval and i make my heart rate zone upper and lower limits 5 beats apart, are you now not eliminating the 'drift' you are talking about?  the known guru(s) in the cycling world state that in as much you are feeling ok, but your resting pulse is up + 10 beats, you are still able to ride at those watts but would it be beneficial?  wattage is uncomprimising and unforgiving, and doesn't take your body's response (health) into consideration.

so the question is:  if i for example do this 60 min interval and i make my heart rate zone upper and lower limits 5 beats apart' date=' are you now not eliminating the 'drift' you are talking about?  the known guru(s) in the cycling world state that in as much you are feeling ok, but your resting pulse is up + 10 beats, you are still able to ride at those watts but would it be beneficial?  wattage is uncomprimising and unforgiving, and doesn't take your body's response (health) into consideration.

[/quote']

Wattage is not unforgiving  - it is simply an accurate measure of your output (which is what dictates how fast you ride your bike).

How you choose to use the measure is up to you presumably ?

Most of the coaches I know of that use power, prescribe a session in terms of a range of wattage that allows for some variability - but at least the rider knows what he or she is doing / has done during and after the session (as opposed to how the heart responded to that load)

You can choose to use a HR range for sure - but how do you know, for example if you are riding at 30w lower than normal due to fatigue or heat or dehydration, within that range of HR. On one day for example a range of 75 - 80% MHR might represent say 200 - 230w whereas on another day or in different conditions it might represent 170 - 200w...can you see the problem ?

It is a bit like measuring the temperature of water (or trying to) by sticking your finger in it, as opposed to using a thermometer to measure it exactly...

It would appear ( if I understand what Carmichael and Burke say) that wattage per say is an added and beneficial tool.  It does not replace heart rate measurement but should rather be used in conjuction with it.