Bonking - The bad kind

Spartan SL

Two kinds of endurance athletes ....

Those who have hit the wall/bonked and those who still will

And once it happens you will know and you will make sure it never happens again.

ok in some seriousness - why?

why dont you just make sure it never happens? Why do you need to bonk to make sure you dont do it again ?

You can never be 100% sure it wont happen. Once the available fuel for your body to burn drops below a certain point' date=' you will hit the wall. You can do your best to ensure it never happens, but it can  be influenced by factors other than just eating enough.
[/quote']

Once it has happend to you , you will do what you can to not let it happen again , but as TNT pionted out you may have eaten and done all the right stuff and still blow! my piont is that you are aware of what could happen if you dont eat correctly but still have no say it might just be your body that has run dry due to other factors ( colds ect ) .

I have blown badley due to no food and then a few years later blew again having eaten well but was recovering from a cold and my bodies recerves where shot.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cycling twice, once during the Argus when it was particulary hot i drank too much liquid to comepensate for the heat, i ended up over hydrated and flat on my back at a medic tent for about 2 hours , 2nd was this years Kremertart where i donated blood a few days before the race.

Cycling twice' date=' once during the Argus when it was particulary hot i drank too much liquid to comepensate for the heat, i ended up over hydrated and flat on my back at a medic tent for about 2 hours , 2nd was this years Kremertart where i donated blood a few days before the race. [/quote']

Wow , did not ever think over hydrating would be a issue, damb!

Bonked at Dome to Dome 2009!

Was doomed from the start....

Mistake 1: felt a bit of a sniff coming on the saturday but didnt think too much of it and carried on with normal race prep

Mistake 2: went out hard from the start to clear the busy crowds cos i was way back due to entering late

Mistake 3: at halway i decided topush for a 2hr45 when my original target was 3hr

Result: 30min last 5km..and leaving breakfast and race snacks 200m past the finish line....and...just missed the original 3hr target!

Not pretty and certainly not very clever!

Good lesson!

2nd was this years Kremertart where i donated blood a few days before the race.

oooooo....that must have hurt?!!

Cycling twice' date=' once during the Argus when it was particulary hot i drank too much liquid to comepensate for the heat, i ended up over hydrated and flat on my back at a medic tent for about 2 hours , 2nd was this years Kremertart where i donated blood a few days before the race. [/quote']

Being overhydrated is more serious than underhydrated.

2nd was this years Kremertart where i donated blood a few days before the race.

oooooo....that must have hurt?!!

Very, will never make that mistake again. LOL

Bonked 1 1/2 years ago doing the Bay City Funride, going up OuKaapseWeg. Was quite new at cycling. Bonked but rode past the watering point on top of the hill - stupid and arrongant me thought "just pull yourself together, its downhill from here"! Did i suffer! Doing 9km/h on the last 10km sounds about right.  

At times like these one learns the most about oneself, food intake, cycling....

Bonked at emporers palace road race last year. had some money on me luckily (dont normally carry cash during a race) so stopped at a garage and bought a coke. helped me finish. Mates ragged me nicely for that.

I think i've become pro at puking. Why do i always want to puke when pushing hard anyways?

All the blood moves out of your stomach to your legs.  If you're stomach ain't empty, it soon will be. Dead

You can train for it by doing pyramids Dead

DeadHave a photo of taken from the front where it looks like I am leading a bunch by some twenty meters and taking a corner.  The truth was that the bunch was a lower seeded one that was about to catch, and, at great speed, pass me. And that I was aiming to pull off the road and abondan.  No food, one bottle on a hot day, fo*all left in the tank.  I just popped, then blew up, then wanted to cry like a smal girl.  It's the worst feeling!

Being overhydrated is more serious than underhydrated.

Apparently you drown faster than you die of thirst - could this be a clue?Confused