Flat Thin 'fancy' saddle beter why ?

rawoke

My xc gel flow has the cut out and makes a big differnce. FIzick is great but I personally feel the cut out makes sense. As one can see on the spez saddles(which I also rode with and were great) BEST advice is sell the one you have on the hub and get the cut out one from CRC.THEY are about R950 now. MY SSfinkta also seems to take a beating on a full saddle. GOOD luck smiley1.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahah Kaalbal huh :D Hehe!

Anyone know of a cycle shop that sells the 'sdg bel-air' saddles in pta area ?

I did read this whole post a bit fast and it seems that non of the hubbers that have posted the Bel-Air recommendations actually use them. The reason is simple ... ITS A CRAP SADDLE !!!!!

I just upgrade my SDG BelAir to the Planet-X saddle for R360 (with postage). What a difference. Yes, it did take a few rides to get use to it but today I really did appreciate the new saddle.

Normally on a hot, no warm day (30C), my ass will be fried on the BelAir. Today was nearly 40C and no problems on my PlanetX.

Also my BelAir started to creak and shift after 500km. OK, I was 100kg then but still. My PlanetX has done over 1000km (I'm now 90kg) and it has not budged or made a squirrels fart sound.

I've also find that the PlanetX is more comfortable on my commute than my old SDG.

Rawoke' date=' got to your bike shop and ask them for a SDG Bel-Air SL. It is still chunky but harder then the sofa you are use to. Should not be more the R300.[/quote']

+1 on the SDG. Comfy as

Need to find one for the singlespeed somewhere.

I have an SDG I-fly saddle on my HT (approx. 145g), it hurt like hell on the first 2 rides I did. Couldn't sit after an hour... after that I got used to it (or numb as someone else mentioned) and now I absolutely love it. If you don't ride regularly, you will struggle with the hard saddles, but with a bit of time on one you will find they are (generally) actually more comfy than the soft padded ones.

Well saddles are at the end of the day a personal preference.

The SDG just does not do it for me while the Planet-X is perfect. Others while say go for WTB and others not.

Best bet is to see if you can borrow a saddle for just a ride (or two) before you buy.

The SDG just does not do it for me while the Planet-X is perfect. Others while say go for WTB and others not.

Best bet is to see if you can borrow a saddle for just a ride (or two) before you buy.

I like the Planet X and ride one on my Roadbike, I have to say that I did not have the best experience  when I used it on the offroad. I rode a 85km race and the Karoo to coast on it and I remember after that long hill halfway that my arse is on FIRE!!.. and after that I had 2 callou's / saddlesores on my arse that I still have now..

The 2 diferent textures of leather on the seat might be the thing, For one the raw leather part sticks to your cycle short, so your arse rubs against the inside of your short/chamois the whole time. and the friction burns your arse!

the second thing is the join between the 2 surfaces could also perhaps have been the issue with the saddle sores, it stands up on the seat (bump/ ridge line)

On the road that has however never happened to me and Ive done plenty  of 4 hour plus rides on it.

I got a Specialized Phenom when I got my bike, and it was so hard I thought I'd die. My butt was actually bruised after the first ride on it. But after a week it got used to it and is now a super comfy saddle. and this is all on a hard tail mtb, no problem.

I tried my old saddle (lots of padding) again the other day and after an hour my legs started tingling and going numb, and my ass was dead.

Moral of the story is that the harder was definately more comfortable. Presure in all the right places. If i had to buy a new saddle I would definately look at the selle italia slr. My brother has one and its like butter.

He just said exactly what I said..Wink

Problem is that we dont see the whole truth here..Old tim Didnt apply what he said to real world contitions.

If one looked like a skeleton and weighed nothing This would apply.. but that saddle of Mr Dexter the Prof is probably soft and wont combat the very problem that I mentioned In my first post. that your tailbone or whatever he calles it sinks into the foam on the seat and still blocks the area.

Some saddles try adress it with a slit in the seat, but If the slit is not big enough your Padding from your shorts end up interfering with the whole shebang and it ends up 10 x worse.. I know.. I had one

The specialized one Looked nice I was looking at one in the states now 75$ not bad huh.. It has a split all the way back and Its got a big enough gap to allow your shorts and arse skin not to get in the way, and its firm. However I still recon that a flat firm seat will do well for most, the correct reach to your bars is also Important. If you sit on the thin tip of your seat all the time Ofcourse It will also cut off the flow of juices.. so sitting far enough back in a comfortable position is Ideal..

But we arnt stupid are we.. so we would have figured that out by our selves.

Get yourself half a kilo of cow. Once broken in you'll never look back.

Brooks B-17. Pure soul.

20100114_060052_On_One_5.jpg

"Bos"

You missed the point entirely. The murray saddles are not padded, they're designed to need the absolute minimum. And yes, I'd take Tim Noakes' advice any day.

I like the Planet X and ride one on my Roadbike' date=' I have to say that I did not have the best experience  when I used it on the offroad. I rode a 85km race and the Karoo to coast on it and I remember after that long hill halfway that my arse is on FIRE!!.. and after that I had 2 callou's / saddlesores on my arse that I still have now..

The 2 diferent textures of leather on the seat might be the thing, For one the raw leather part sticks to your cycle short, so your arse rubs against the inside of your short/chamois the whole time. and the friction burns your arse!

the second thing is the join between the 2 surfaces could also perhaps have been the issue with the saddle sores, it stands up on the seat (bump/ ridge line)

On the road that has however never happened to me and Ive done plenty  of 4 hour plus rides on it.
[/quote']

Have not tried my PlanetX off road yet. Has anyone compared the big-nose to the Planet-X?

Also on butt friction I do find a massive difference between my baggies & bibs. My bibs are way more comfortable. The baggies are great for sub 1 hour, then the polyester padding starts to burn my arse

20100114_062436_9_SmallIMG_2937.jpg

This is still my favourite road saddle, and is currently fitted to my race bike. Ive done 8hr+ rides on it, and as long as I have decent shorts, I dont feel any worse off than when I do a long ride on one of my Arione's or Flights. 

Zaskar2010-01-14 06:26:40