Fo you can't do without on a ride

MTBjunky

MMMM Martin has a point...here is what my dietitian said

During the race

Depends on the time spent on the road!

?     50g of carbohydrates per hour

?     GU Energy Gel: 25g CHO per sachet: 2 sachets per hour

?     Coke: 10g CHO per 100ml: 500ml per hour recommended instead of high GI drinks e.g. Energade if you have insulin resistance.

?     Marmite sandwiches or Banana bread: 3-4 slices per hour

?     Powerade: 7g carbohydrate per 100ml: 700ml ? 800ml per hour

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez Mux, lookin at your shopping lists I'm gonna need a Camelbak to carry that lot.....and a camel.

Hey I am not being funny when I ask this but it is very hard to believe that a drink can provide as many calories as is needed for those events. People will most certainly bonk on fluids alone. Can you look at the label and tell me what the max calorie mix is for a high concetrate formula?

Take a look here: http://www.infinitnutrition.co.za/.

This has been used by many top ironman athletes and is used by Joe Friel and Mark Allen. Spoken to Paul Wolff (Race Director from IMSA) who uses it and he swears by it.

Also works out cheaper than buying gels and bars.

so there is no answer everyone is agreeing to?

Did you expect the hub members to agree on something?

Geez Mux' date=' lookin at your shopping lists I'm gonna need a Camelbak to carry that lot.....and a camel.

?

?
[/quote']

I'm sure I said before, but looking back at the post I can see why you are confused. I will return to edit it to avoid any further confusion.

I was reading the thread on 'Bonking - the bad kind' and was wondering what food / snacks / bars / gels etc. you would not leave home without when doing a training ride or race and which products you swear by.

I think MTBjunky needs to define what type of race in order for us all to come even close to agreeing. 

My next race involves about about 6-12 hrs worth of mtb'ing each day and for that I cannot survive on just energy drinks and gels. For a 3 hr road ride I can.

Not much point in a low GI bran muffin that will take 2 hours to digest and break down to the sugar you need when you are half way through a 3 hour ride and have depleted your reserves and are about to bonk. Heavy low GI food will impact negatively on your performance as your body will divert blood supplies from doing work in your muscles to your intestines to help with the digestion and absorption of the food. If working very hard there is every chance you will simply chuck the muffin up onto the road anyway.

Martin, that highlighted point is where things get murky.

the 2 hours to digest is for "complete" digestion. The food in the system helps keep the insulin stable. The sugar just means you have a fast supply of sugar (doesnt take away the "bonk" factor) and then as your body keeps its insulin high you will have another crash. To prevent this crash you need a "get the insulin down slowly drink" which is where post ride drinks come in.

So the moral of the story, if you eat something before your ride (and not an energy something ) and you eat continually you should be ok.

Did you expect the hub members to agree on something?

Yes....  We all agree on Julias Malema! (with an 's' sorry)

But what must i chowdown in a race?
messenger2010-01-13 07:29:41

ive bonked badly on home rides twice, & as the saying goes fool me once shame on you, fool me twice & shame on me. 2nd time round i took 2 bananas with in the camelbak & it was an absolute life saver.

Youll still need time to recoup as it unfortunately takes time to get into your system & besides by the time you bonk its too late to do anything further except wait until your sugar/energy stores starts stabilizing again but to help the recovery i found bananas to be an absolute godsend
BumpNgrind2010-01-13 07:35:31

Geez Mux' date=' lookin at your shopping lists I'm gonna need a Camelbak to carry that lot.....and a camel. [/quote']
I'm sure I said before, but looking back at the post I can see why you are confused. I will return to edit it to avoid any further confusion.

Dont worry Mux, wilfully misunderstanding you is a lot more fun.

Oh, bananas and Bar Ones does it for me.........

.....but then I'm prolly not the best role model for dietary advice.

My bottle of Cytomax  !!!  Has saved me a few times when out on rides with my mates. 

Doing anything over 2 hours, I need food.  Doesn't matter what food, but if I don't eat I get very dizzy and feel sick.  And yes I do eat before I ride, I don't ever miss my breakfast if I can help it.

I eat those jungle oats type bars on races, the kind with oats etc.

I used to prefer the "Lite" ones as they didnt have chocolate on them.

The chocolate can become terrible on a hot day and most times you want something that is not that sweet.

Also use gels and energy drink.

Longer rides - DC - I will eat sandwiches as well. Even hotdogs. Well anything actually, as long as it doesnt taste sweet Confused

Eat before you are hungry
Drink before you are thirsty

Oh and always wear a helmet

..and always greet other cyclists Big%20smile
Dirt*girl2010-01-13 08:17:26

At the end of the day, Darren, the biggest issue is not what you eat but that you eat continuously.

That's my rule, I stick to it off and on the bicycle! and that's also why I need to get on the bicycle...