Price of Races

Thug

R25 000 for a team of 2 - that is entry only - then there are many other costs.

Holy crap.

All of a sudden R180 for a local ride isnt so bad.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had to cut back in big way on races - a pity; but I will not just be more picky ensuring that when I enter it is for a great race (in my opinion) as opposed to just an average one.

I also think that the race organizers should get some money back in their pockets as there is a fair amount of time going into these events.

Hey, some of us must work during the day to be able to pay for these expensive races.  24 posts are good considering..........

Relax Mampara......  Het nie bedoel om jou te beledig nieSmile

DEFINITIEWE TONG IN DIE KIES

......Maybe their is a race organiser - let me repeat - a honest race organiser that can give us a breakdown on the cost of a 100km race taking in account all sponsors......

I was going to pose that question but I doubted any response would be forthcoming, so refrained from asking.

....I also think that the race organizers should get some money back in their pockets as there is a fair amount of time going into these events.

I agree wholeheartedly but the question is, what is a fair remuneration and what is "ripping the ass out of it" ?

I have never denied anyone making a profit - if they do not make a profit then they will not be around next year to do the same.

I do also believe however that there is a difference between being profitable and milking it.

I suppose they will charge what people are prepared to pay. That goes for race organisers, LBS', car dealerships, food stores, et al.

Have to laugh at the cost per km, so if the route is badly marked and you get lost you get better value for money (extra k's for your bucks) LOL and when comparing road to MTB maybe we need cost per hour. Bummer here is that the front riders end up paying more than double what the back markers pay (per hour) - maybe that is because the track isnt used when they get there Smile.

Seriously, it doesn't take much to blow R100 at the movies on a Saterday night. I am not going to judge what is affordible to others but I an happy to skip the movie and do a good race. I would even pay double for some of the good races I have done but would not do again even if I was given a free entry.

If it is value you are looking for try Grounkloof. For around R17 you get as many k's as you like. Tracks are well kept and are good for everybody from the novice to the expert. There is no congestion (the sort you get on the single track at some races). Only problem, no timing, no medals, no water tables. I can ride there from home so I don't even pay petrol to get there and it is dam good fun!

Are certain race organisers being held over a barrel by the charges from certain timing companies ?

O' date=' and by the way, I can see when I read your comments why you are called a mamparra.  In afrikaans that is not a compliment......Wink
[/quote']

mamparra is WAY cool and is't a HUGE compliment to be called a mamparra here!

The Stonehaven races were about R60 - R80 not more than a year ago ? We also decided to do 2 races per month rather than the 3 from last year to save some money.

I just entered a handful of races over the next 6 weeks and was shocked at the prices!

The Engen league only costs a cup of coffee once a week! They don't have timing, but still intense!

At the end of the day, we are in different socio-economic positions, eh?

What is R100 for is not quite the same R100 for me.

Like most people, if one loves the sport, one will invest into it as much as one chooses.

At the end of the day' date=' we are in different socio-economic positions, eh?

What is R100 for is not quite the same R100 for me.

Like most people, if one loves the sport, one will invest into it as much as one chooses. [/quote']

Very true, but if you are in very good form you would like to do as many races as possible because you are not sure how long it is going to last. On an average it will cost me and my wife R1000 in entry fees alone per month to do 3 races. Maybe we must adapt the Chinese policy where the headcount sales are more important than the profit per item. Make races cheaper, get more people there thus growing the sport and making it more popular.

Well I am planning to do the Ride for Sight since it's more reasonable. I'd splash out for Bela Bela if I am around at the time and then.....maybe the occasional Babbas (which has gone up by R10 this year). Will have to skip Knysna this year due to leave issues smiley6.gif

It's expensive and I'll try and do longer rides on weekends instead of racing. Just one of those things....

As to the no WC MTB races, don't think there are any on Supercycling where Thug got the info from....