Price of Races

Thug

I will also be cutting down on races, I used to race every weekend if possible. I have now decided to do selective racing and do more club rides races. It is more than just the price of races that has increased to this absurd level.

I have to drive to Jhb to get my number ?- cost of fuel.
Time away from work to get a number ?- 2  work hours lost = less pay

Bottom line: for the two of us it is close to R500.00 to do one race.
I don?t have a fancy expensive bike,Embarrassed
I don?t have Zips,Embarrassed
I don?t have a fancy car,Embarrassed
I don?t have DSTV, Clap
I don?t go to movies more than 5 times a year,
I don?t go to fancy restaurants more than once a month.

So R500.00 per race is a big deal.

Gman18342010-01-26 02:41:39

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thug,

Regardless of the distance of a race, on or off road the timing equipment needs to be there. 50k MTB race probably take just a long as a 100k road race for the average Joe. The timing company is there pretty much for the whole day.

I agree that the cost are a bit steep but can you imagine doing the 94.7 MTB race with 20,000 people because the entry fee was R5.

If they cap the number of entries per race we would all be complaining that we could never get into an event.

I guess its the cost of the equipment that is being recouped and then peoples time, route markings etc, etc, etc.

Maybe we should all put our money where our mouths are and buy some timing equipment and do a "FREE" annual MTB and or Road race for Hub members only. We can then appreciate the time and effort it takes to organize an event and then comment, Who knows Maybe a 100 bucks is CHEAP???

firefox2010-01-26 02:56:18

in and around london we paid between 15 and 20pounds a race, the crazy thing is if you multiply 15 with with 10rand its almost exactly the same as in london, and there you earn 4-6 times more.....THAT JUST SHOWS HOW EXPENSIVE SA IS

in and around london we paid between 15 and 20pounds a race' date=' the crazy thing is if you multiply 15 with with 10rand its almost exactly the same as in london, and there you earn 4-6 times more.....THAT JUST SHOWS HOW EXPENSIVE SA IS[/quote']

And I wonder how much safer those races in the UK are?

Soon races will be the price of the 94.7 and that is full road closure....what do we get for R180? Roads full of potholes and cars to dodge....no thanks!

in and around london we paid between 15 and 20pounds a race' date=' the crazy thing is if you multiply 15 with with 10rand its almost exactly the same as in london, and there you earn 4-6 times more.....THAT JUST SHOWS HOW EXPENSIVE SA IS[/quote']

Sure you can multiply 15 quid by R10 - but why not R8 or R9 to make an equally worthless point.

The exchange rate is R12.40 right now. 20 quid (the other figure mentioned) is R248.

More expensive than most races here; and you'd have to compare what the event consisted of.

I'm earning 5 times here what I left the Uk on.

Otherwise yours was a very well constructed argument.

Sure you can multiply 15 quid by R10 - but why not R8 or R9 to make an equally worthless point.

The exchange rate is R12.40 right now. 20 quid (the other figure mentioned) is R248.

More expensive than most races here; and you'd have to compare what the event consisted of.

Ur taking the max with the max, im comparing to when i was there , with what i earned. So there will always be a exeption to any case

Soon races will be the price of the 94.7 and that is full road closure....what do we get for R180? Roads full of potholes and cars to dodge....no thanks!

This is why you guys need to do MTBing....other than dog poopi splatting in your face every now and again, there is not much else to worry about.

This is why you guys need to do MTBing....other than dog poopi splatting in your face every now and again, there is not much else to worry about.

And besides the occassional "lying down", it is much more fun than dodging "stuff" on the roads Big%20smile

Oh goodie, now that we are making completely useless points, let me add mine!  I just entered the Ronde van Vlaanderen (OK, the funride edition!) and will be riding De Muur a day before the pro's on 3 March!!!!  Can You tell I'm excited?  (For those who don't know anything about cycling history: the Ronde is like the Argus but in Belgium.  Only Belgians are funny, they only care about the Pro edition.)

Oh yes, I forgot; it cost me 15 Euros to enter, but I have to pay extra for the medal and the t-shirt Wink

[

Ur taking the max with the max' date= im comparing to when i was there , with what i earned. So there will always be a exeption to any case[/quote]

I'm sure you're right then.

..............Except you're not.

This year's London to Brighton bike ride is 31 quid. Comparable as an event to one of our two biggies, only a much shorter distance.

..............Except you're not.

This year's London to Brighton bike ride is 31 quid. Comparable as an event to one of our two biggies' date=' only a much shorter distance.
[/quote']

its 90+ km - similar distance to 94,7 and is flattish with one short sharp hill near the end - similar to Argus LOL

about 50,000 competitors, proceeds go to charity, no results, start groups, seeding, timing etc etc - purely a fun ride.

I'd say comparison of salaries from SA to UK is about 2.0 to 2.5 for professionals and maybe 5 for unskilled workers (barmen, cleaners, etc)

Oh goodie, now that we are making completely useless points, let me add mine!? I just entered the Ronde van Vlaanderen (OK, the funride edition!) and will be riding De Muur a day before the pro's on 3 March!!!!? Can You tell I'm excited?? (For those who don't know anything about cycling history: the Ronde is like the Argus but in Belgium.? Only Belgians are funny, they only care about the Pro edition.)

?

Oh yes, I forgot; it cost me 15 Euros to enter, but I have to pay extra for the medal and the t-shirt Wink

You lucky bugger smiley7.gif smiley7.gif smiley19.gif smiley19.gif The Pirate2010-01-26 05:24:05

Thug' date='

Maybe we should all put our money where our mouths are and buy some timing equipment and do a "FREE" annual MTB and or Road race for Hub members only. We can then appreciate the time and effort it takes to organize an event and then comment, Who knows Maybe a 100 bucks is CHEAP???
[/quote']

Actually in GN the GNC did just what you suggested at Rooiwal, they cut the extra's like the timing mats, paying the volunteers, getting full road closure, prize money ext out, and after the necessary stuff was puit in, like the medics, they landed up charging about R60 for a 65km race and called it the GNC league race.

also Andre de Beer has been organisinbg races, running, cycling, duathlon ext for as long as I can remember.  He is the organiser of Babba's lodge and a national duathlon series (Franco Sport)  He has been able to stabilise the price at about R100-R120 for a race. 

These prices are in my opinion about the lowest that can be acheived and still be able to pay all the labourers.