Price of Races

Thug

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The likes of the Argus and 94.7 often show breakdowns of how the money is spent, more often than not showing little if any money left over, they are generally quite mum on the sponsor contribution. Much fanfare was made of the fact that Momentum was piling in substantial sums into the 94.7 last year, the evidence of this sponsorship was hard to see: Higher price, same old waterpoints, same old medal, crap t shirt(which I paid R70 odd for), in fact same old same old for the most part. Surely the jerseys for the winners didn't gobble the budget in it's entirety?

Do the occasional race to see my mates more than for any other reason.

Have gone from round 2 races a month to about 4 a year

At R50 a pop Rooiwal is as much fun/ intense and R10 gets you a coke and a great pancake in comparison to the 94.7 rest area where R10 gets you a bemused look from the person behind the counter.

Thanks, feel much better now

?At R50 a pop Rooiwal is as much fun/ intense and R10 gets you a coke and a great pancake in comparison to the 94.7 rest area where R10 gets you a bemused look from the person behind the counter.

?

Thanks' date=' feel much better now
[/quote']

Aha - but at the 94.7 R25 odd could get you a really sh!t burger! Really, Really Sh!t burger!

As Canaris says, the Rooiwal and Babbas Lodge races seem to be the best value for money races.

Maybe its a question of the organisers being in it for the love of the sport as opposed to seeing it as an opportunity buy that plot on the golf estate.

At R50 a pop Rooiwal is as much fun/ intense and R10 gets you a coke and a great pancake in comparison to the 94.7 rest area where R10 gets you a bemused look from the person behind the counter.

[/quote']

Aha - but at the 94.7 R25 odd could get you a really sh!t burger! Really, Really Sh!t burger!

Your sig could apply to a number of government depts and parastatalsLOL

[/quote']

Your sig could apply to a number of government depts and parastatalsLOL

Having worked at a parastatal for a number years I can attest to the burger thing. Very sh!t LOL

As Canaris says' date=' the Rooiwal and Babbas Lodge races seem to be the best value for money races.

Maybe its a question of the organisers being in it for the love of the sport as opposed to seeing it as an opportunity buy that plot on the golf estate.[/quote']

And the Delta Park Night Race! Great fun for a nominal fee! Big%20smile

So there's a range of prices and events, sounds like a pretty healthy market. 

The Stonehaven events are pretty cheap but I pay for it in petrol and lost beauty sleep so am happy to pay more in town.

Did it in 1980' date=' one of the early editions.? Ditchling Beacon at the end was tough for a teenager.

[/quote']

were you really a teen in the '80s?

So there's a range of prices and events' date=' sounds like a pretty healthy market.?

?

The Stonehaven events are pretty cheap but I pay for it in petrol and lost beauty sleep so am happy to pay more in town.

?
[/quote']

Well the last Stonehaven.....R130 for 92km....no timing and OMG were the roads bad or what! I do think that Babbas is getting a bit steep @ R100/35km but it is a nice easy race and the people are always friendly, the lady with the red hair (the name escapes me right now....) has cut up fruit at all the races they do and the catering is always good (those jaffels are AMAZING) and you get a result on a website. So I don't think Stonehaven is that reasonable anymore....

So there's a range of prices and events' date=' sounds like a pretty healthy market.?

?

?
[/quote']

Well the last Stonehaven.....R130 for 92km....no timing and OMG were the roads bad or what! I do think that Babbas is getting a bit steep @ R100/35km but it is a nice easy race and the people are always friendly, the lady with the red hair (the name escapes me right now....) has cut up fruit at all the races they do and the catering is always good (those jaffels are AMAZING) and you get a result on a website. So I don't think Stonehaven is that reasonable anymore....

agree about the babbas catering, love them jaffels, but they gotta get more beer. they always run out.

Did it in 1980' date=' one of the early editions.  Ditchling Beacon at the end was tough for a teenager.

[/quote']

were you really a teen in the '80s?

Yeah, you think an adult would go round with long hair, cowboy boots and a denim jacket with "Thin Lizzy" embroidered on the back?

Did it in 1980' date=' one of the early editions.? Ditchling Beacon at the end was tough for a teenager.

[/quote'] were you really a teen in the '80s?

?

Yeah, you think an adult would go round?with long hair, cowboy boots and a denim jacket with "Thin Lizzy" embroidered on the back?

?

unfortunately i do know some adults like that...the hair is still long, well at the back and sides, but not on top.

unfortunately i do know some adults like that...the hair is still long, well at the back and sides, but not on top.

Isn't that called a mullet?

unfortunately i do know some adults like that...the hair is still long' date=' well at the back and sides, but not on top.

Isn't that called a mullet?[/quote']

Some folk act like mullets too LOL

Race orgs don't only cost races to cover their costs which is expensive, some orgs don't even benefit a single cent as any profit made goes to a charity. e.g

Carnival

Race organizers receive no personal financial benefit from this event. All profits go to Rotary Community Projects, the Rotary Foundation, Germiston Wheelers Charity Projects and the development of amateur cycling in South

Emperors

All proceeds from the event go to the Little Eden School in Edenvale (No its not some elitist upper class school looking to raise funds but a school for people with Intellectual Disability's)

Why host an event when at the end of the day all you are able to do is hand over to each recipient a measly R100.  An argument here is less cost will attract more riders, perhaps but more riders will cost the orgs more anyway.