Price of Races

Thug

I was looking through the list of races that I would like to enter and it struck me that race organisers are starting to pull the ring out of it.

Does anyone else feel that way?

Consider the following road races:

- The Fast One: R180 - 106km (Racetec)

- Berge & Dale: R180 - 97km (Racetec)

- Kormorant: R130 - 109km (SStiming) - cheap

- Emperors: R180 - 99km (Racetec)

- Stonehaven: R120 - 80 (No timing)

- Ride for Sight: R150 - 116km (Racetec)

- Carnival City: R160 - 103km (ChampionChip)

- Wilro: R150 - 114km (SStiming)

So the cost per km ranges from R1.19 (SStiming) to R1.85 (Racetec).

Why the vast discrepancies ?

Is this purely down to a differential in what the timing company charges? Does Racetec's equipment cost more per km to operate than SStiming's?

It certainly isn't due to free give-aways and goodie bags as these are, in 99% of the cases, "donated" by the title sponsor.

When it comes to MTB races, it would appear that cost per km is even more ridiculous, viz

- Parys Island Dirtmax: R140 - 60km (timing ?)

- Emperors Classic: R130 - 40km (timing ?) R3.25/km smiley5.gif

- Babbas Lodge: R120 - 70km (SStiming) - free shirt for online entry.

- Northerns Quickie: R120 - 40km (timing ?)

So here we range per km from R1.71/km (with timing & free t-shirt) to R3.25 (with no apparent timing).

It would appear that prices have generally risen by around 20% for the current year.

Where will it end?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, it is tough on the pocket.

I am a professional in the world of work and it is tough for me to race often.

What about the average working class person that lurves cycling and would lurve to race?

smiley19.gif

Good points one and all, but then you will get some knob asking how much you paid for your bike, and then tell you to stop moaning because look the price of your car and then there will be the how much did you pay for your house argument thrown in as well.

It is precisely because of these things that most people can not afford to pay the race entry fees.

I am in that position. Do not even think to tell me that I should be more financially prudent and not get myself into this type of situation - you have no clue as to what I can afford and WHY it is that I can afford it.

Yes it is expensive but what is the price of your bike? Surely if it is more then 5k you do not have a problem. Alot of these "moaners" also drive expensive cars so they should really not be moaning. And where do you live? Proberbly the place where it is required to drive the car you do and ride the bike you do.

Nobody is forcing nobody to do a race. It's a product just like any other. If the price is not right, buy something else that is in your budget.

I never really added them all up but I am really shocked when I see it laid out as it is above! There will be plenty of .. "we don't make much" cries etc. but I don't care - and will continue to be reamed as I do enjoy the events and as long as I perceive value will continue to enter.

Good points one and all' date=' but then you will get some knob asking how much you paid for your bike, and then tell you to stop moaning because look the price of your car and then there will be the how much did you pay for your house argument thrown in as well.

?

It is precisely because of these things that most people can not afford to pay the race entry fees.

?

I am in that position. Do not even think to tell me that I should be more financially prudent and not get myself into this type of situation - you have no clue as to what I can afford and WHY it is that I can afford it.
[/quote']

Yes it is expensive but what is the price of your bike? Surely if it is more then 5k you do not have a problem. Alot of these "moaners" also drive expensive cars so they should really not be moaning. And where do you live? Proberbly the place where it is required to drive the car you do and ride the bike you do.

Nobody is forcing nobody to do a race. It's a product just like any other. If the price is not right' date=' buy something else that is in your budget.[/quote']

Gasping, I'd like to introduce you to Mampara.

smiley36.gif

The Thug2010-01-25 05:27:58

The cost is rather expensive, and even morte worrying is that the prices vary tremendously between organisers.  Furthermore, it seems that bigger the sponsor the more expensive the race.  Yes we have all hear how expensive road closure, access right to land, labour ext are. 

We are also partially to blame as cyclists.  How many of these races are comercial undertakings with the slant on making profit?  THe Rooiwal races and GNC league races are a lot less expensive.  Why?  because most of the labour is done by volunteers and club members.  So if you want cheaper races, the join a club and help organise them.

The next thing is to rather take up running which is cheaper or even chess which will knock you R180 for a 6 rounds 90-90minute tournament (or a whole weekend's play).  Golf is how much for a round? 

Comparing prices is another way of looking at it.  A tube costs almost R50, chain lube R90, a chain between R300-R600 tyres at R 500+.  So what is R180 for someone with Bora wheels at R10 000?  VAlue and cost is relative.

Nobody is forcing nobody to do a race. It's a product just like any other. If the price is not right' date=' buy something else that is in your budget.[/quote']

Bike is 12k, drive a BMW.

I am poor smiley36.gif Wayne_Potgieter2010-01-25 05:30:40

Guest colonel

Those races are National classics if I am correct. The cost is actually not that much. To race a MX National at the same track for the last 20 yrs that never changes your entry to 1 class of a total time of racing and practicing is 60min at best in the premier classes is R750.

Cycling is not expensive.

I train for the race and plan for it. Clean the bike, get my clothes ready and pack my cycle bag. After I think about the ride and download the info from my computer. Hours of fun and entertainment and all for R180.

Just pick your races, I have cut down on some of the more overpriced events in the Cape such as the Cobra and the 99'er just because there are other events over pretty much the same routes for half the price or less. I just do one or two classics in the year for the Argus seeding

I'm sure if they don't hand out medals and goody bags it would be a lot cheaper to organise races.

*puts on cartman voice* "But I want my meadal dammit"

Seriously though - I do want my medal!