What do carry with you for punctures?

capeofstorms

Road - carry in back pocket - Pump,2tubes,levers and cell if all of these fail. R20- you never know how the south easter blow down here in the cape.

MTB - cell , rest is rock solid (tubeless) if that fails I'll walk to a area with reception and call out. Have done a 5km walk in a mountain with bike on the back so got the scars and pain to never forget the phone again - also it was dark, no headlight

Saddle bags suck - while your up to it why dont you put on wheel bags and a toptube lunch box as well. Some people on the argus looks like they are doing a Africa circumnavigation Clown

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Learnt my lesson while out riding the Cradle route one afternoon. Ended up pushing my bike 10km in the midday sun before my riding buddy was able to ride back, fetch a car, fetch me.

So now I carry spare tube in saddle bag (when I use it), plus a spare tube in camel back, a small pump mounted to the frame, and a cheapy puncture repair kit.

Not planning on pushing 10km again!!
patches2010-01-29 03:37:46

Road - carry in back pocket - Pump' date='2tubes,levers and cell if all of these fail. R20- you never know how the south easter blow down here in the cape.MTB - cell , rest is rock solid (tubeless) if that fails I'll walk to a area with reception and call out. Have done a 5km walk in a mountain with bike on the back so got the scars and pain to never forget the phone again - also it was dark, no headlightSaddle bags suck - while your up to it why dont you put on wheel bags and a toptube lunch box as well. Some people on the argus looks like they are doing a Africa circumnavigation?Clown [/quote']

Don't forget the cellphone pouch that attaches to the top tube!!

A saddle bag (on both MTB and Road) with:

- 2 or 3 tubes

- Tyre Levers

- Puncture Kit

- 3 CO2 bombs

- Chain splitter (not puncture related obviously)

- Chain Quick Link

- Multi-Tool

Always carry Cell Phone and some, but not much, cash

I carry a spare tube, taped to my seat post. Nice blue bling Lezyne pump attached to my bottle cage, two bombs and regulater and some "stcky worms" with the neddle type thingamagig in my small saddle bag. On training rides as well as races.

Thats good for road el Kapitan but not MTB ;-)

oops' date=' sorry about that. Yep MTB all the stuff in my hydration pack!!

Hope Noah and Mom are doing OK!![/quote']

Yip they are doing great thanks. Went home yesterday Big%20smile

After my 94.7 (road) disaster last year, I no longer carry bombs - went and bought a decent pump. Now it's 1 tube, levers and the pump - if I get more than one puncture then it's beg, borrow or steal.

As for the MTB, 1 tube is permanently taped to the seat-post, levers and pump in back pocket. I'm not a fan of a hydration pack, unless it's something like SabieX in which case I'll put another tube, patches and other spares in with the pad-kos.Frosty2010-01-29 03:50:39

Learnt my lesson while out riding the Cradle route one afternoon. Ended up pushing my bike 10km in the midday sun before my riding buddy was able to ride back' date=' fetch a car, fetch me.

So now I carry spare tube in saddle bag (when I use it), plus a spare tube in camel back, a small pump mounted to the frame, and a cheapy puncture repair kit.

[/quote'] Do you carry patchesLOLLOLLOL

I usually carry:

- Multitool with tyre levers

- Pump

- 1 or 2 tubes depending on where I'm riding and who'll be around to fetch me if it all goes tits up.

After my last puncture I'm also wondering if I should carry a pair of pliers. It took me less than five minutes to actually change and reinflate the tube. Unfortunately, it took almost 10 minutes trying to get the damn little piece of wire that caused the problem out of my tyre.

normal Road or Race, 1 tube, 1 pump (95g) and patches, 2 tyre levers. Small multi-tool.

Argus : Vittoria slime and co2 in 1. Inflates co2 and slime.

I've you get a flat it is game over in a road race, so why wast a co2 canister in a normal race.  80grams extra weight per CO2 cannister.

MTB race : 2 bombs, pump, 1 tube, 2 tyre levers, Sram powerlink, Crankbro multi-tool with Chainbreaker. tubless repair kit, patches.

Running UST tyres, need a bomb to inflate when putting a plug into the tyre.

Don't take chanches, don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
knersis2010-01-29 04:46:16

Knersis I have never used a bomb (CO2 one) and would not even know how to use it . There are more plugs in my tyre than spokes on the rim and I have never battled to re-inflate my tyre after a puncture . But besides helping people that have not got a chain tool the next one is helping people who have got no more bomb left !!! smiley2.gif

Learnt my lesson while out riding the Cradle route one afternoon. Ended up pushing my bike 10km in the midday sun before my riding buddy was able to ride back' date=' fetch a car, fetch me.

[/quote'] Do you carry patchesLOLLOLLOL

haha! I do now! haha! The name is to remind me to remember them!

Always carry my cell phone and some cash. Road 2 tubes, 1 bomb and a pump, MTB 2 tubes, pump, multi tool, tire patch, chain link, presta/shrader adjuster.

If you dont carry tyre levers, quick releases make a good alternative.

MTB, 2 bombs, pump, tube, master link, selfglue patches, levers