Urgent help needed with training program

Snoek

Hi to all the experts out there.

I have not spent any time on my bike over the last year because I became a dad 9 months ago.

What will be better for me now that I have a month before the Argus, riding on the road or spinning? I am going for a 3:45 ? 4 hour Argus.

Your help will be appreciated.

You need to build some endurance so ride on the road a bit. But do both with the balance tipped towards the road.

Ride your bike. Lots.

A key part of training is getting comfortable/used to the discomfort on your bike, and you don't get that from spinning classes. Don't worry about intensity, just ride as often as you can for as long as you can.

If your cycling training has dropped to zero, start with a ride of 30 minutes to an hour, and try and make each ride slightly longer than the previous. For the first three rides or so, you will remember how fast you could ride when you were fit, but your legs won't. So keep the effort super-low for the first three rides or so.

Aim to ride at least three times a week, preferably four, with one ride of 3 hours or more on the weekends. Don't beat yourself up if you miss a training ride, and realise that in the week before the Argus you can not make yourself fitter, but you CAN make yourself less fit.

James

PS - Congrats on the kid.

PPS - Worst "I'm a new dad" post ever. =:-)

You don?t have a lot of time  left to train. I would suggest working on the base fitness. Long hours in the saddle both road and spinning class, try to do at least 2 hour base training continuance.

I have not spent any time on my bike over the last year because I became a dad 9 months ago.

What will be better for me now that I have a month before the Argus' date=' riding on the road or spinning? I am going for a 3:45 ? 4 hour Argus.

[/quote']

Welcome.

First I may suggest riding regardless for the time.

Second try and enter as many funrides as possible up till the Argus.

Getting used to cycling in big bunches, seeing a mistake ( accident before it will happen). The funride is the best form of training, you can compete with the serious cyclist and funrider all together.

Third start with something small, rather be Race ready for 80 km, Than trying for 110km  and you just keep hurting the body.

Say ride 3days a week, giving your body good rest.

Tues, Thurs, Sat,  20 - 30 km that will be around  1H30 ave will be 22 km.

Sun you do any Race. Because you have small distance your body will recover in 24 hours with a little  help ( food, drink, health, rest, stressfree).

Fourth You say Western Cape, try going to Killarney on Tuesday nights, 17h00 till 19h00. Good coaching, riding with guys of your own strengths.

Fifth Which area? Are there any Clubs near you / Groups you can ride with?     

I am Northen Suburbs, You are welcome to contact me. I ride with CITY Cycling. 

David John

snoek, bicycling .co.za have some very good training programmes at diffirent levels, go have a look

may be a bit late to strat for the argus but still woth while following

Sorry Tjokkits but the Bicycling training programmes are laughable. They are based on implausible amounts of training time.

Yes, you will achieve the target time (prolly) if you follow the training regime, but you will never want to see another bicycle in your life.

I'm biased, but I think that my advice was at least as good as what you will find in Bicycling.

Hell, even if you think my advice sucks, Cytomax's post is well worth following.

James

What will be better for me now that I have a month before the Argus' date=' riding on the road or spinning? I am going for a 3:45 ? 4 hour Argus.

[/quote']

Hi

You can do a lot with a 4 week base block. I would suggest doing as much riding as you can fit in whether on the road or in the spinning studio, however I would not suggest doing more than 1 of the spins as given by the instructor per week hard.

Reason I say this is that it seems you are pretty much starting over with your training and that means that your anaerobic capacity (amount of mitochondria in your cells) is probably at a minumum. The best you can do in 4 weeks is to increase your anaerobic capacity by doing long slow rides at between 60-75% of your max heart rate. If you do the actual spinning class you are working a different energy system and this will not yield results as quickly as base type training if you are wanting to finish the race.

I would think it is more about finishing than about racing at race pace and hence my suggestions. Try and get in at least 2-3 long rides of 3 hours over the next few weeks and as much as you can fit in during the week.

The rest will be up to good nutrition the days before and dyring the race as your muscle memory should kick in by then.

Good luck!!!

Go to N1 off ramp,and chase a couple of cars each afternoon,and for speed work,go to Langa at say 19hoo and take a ride through.Works well.this is only a crash course.

Make sure your tyres are correctly inflated, chain is lubed and clean and brake blocks are not rubbing on the rims. Dont waste any energy

Go to N1 off ramp' date='and chase a couple of cars each afternoon,and for speed work,go to Langa at say 19hoo and take a ride through.Works well.this is only a crash course. [/quote']

Do not hurt yourself.

Do not have accident.

Get the bike serviced 2 weeks before the race,

As bike shops will be CHAOS.

On the morning do not forget anything.

I have made an appointment for my bike to be serviced on the Sunday before the Argus by CMC in Plattekloof. Thanks for the tip.