MTB Clipless pedals

DesertConvert

Which do you prefer, Crank Brothers Egg-Beaters or Shimano  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, Crank Brothers Egg-Beaters or Shimano

• Crank Brothers
    • Shimano

ask yourself: which company sells rebuild kits? hehe! nah' date=' not knocking crank bros, but pedals seriously aren't something i worry about on a bike. ride with both. [/quote']

Holy, never figured you as somebody who rides both ways?!?LOL

Why are you in hospital again?Wink

smiley36.gif

you making me the butt of jokes again? smiley36.gif

you making me the butt of jokes again? smiley36.gif

Oh dear - don't tell me we gonna have another hemorroid thread?!

Because I am sure people have jokes pile-ing up  Wink

i don't enjoy the low end shimano spd pedal, but the xtr ones are o so beautiful.

i suppose you got to try both. a mate of mine just changed from shimano so crank brothers and after 4 months he's changing back to shimano. (xtr though)

also depends what riding you doing. remember quite a few broken egg beaters everyday on the epic

IF you want a pedal that you can use a normal shoe on from time to time, the Shimano's are your pedals. However, Eggbeaters are the best pedals i've ridden with. you unclip so easily, they are light and mud and stuff isn't a problem. Puls they are servicable and rebuildable and it is very easy. So if you want a good pedal Crankbrothers is the only pair of pedals yu will ever buy

I love my Shimano 540's.... not light (350g) but solid and reliable... I've put around 40 000km on mine now... serviced the axled twice. Amazing service...

I love my Shimano 540's.... not light (350g) but solid and reliable... I've put around 40 000km on mine now... serviced the axled twice. Amazing service...

Have you had problems of the sort mentioned earlier in the thread (not being able to clip back in after the pedals get muddy, trouble clipping out etc.)?

I am currently using Shimanos, but just bought a pair of Candies today, and will fit them tonight. Bought the Candies for the weight benefit, far better clip-in method, better in mud and good looks. I am changing brand because Shimanos tarnish very quickly, and after a couple of rides they seem worn and scratched, which could be a bit of a problem if you like your steed to look impeccable after a good bike wash. Also because they are heavy.      

The main thing that's swaying me towards Shimano for my single speed project is the fact that I want to use my cycling shoes for spinning as well, and can't see myself swapping cleats between riding and gyming smiley5.gif

I was looking at the Crankbrother acids on chainreaction cycles, they really do look the part, but I've never heard of anyone using them, any opinions??

I've used TIME A.T.A.C, Shimano SPD and Egg beaters.

I've found the Shimano's to be very hard to break.

The TIME A.T.A.C is my favourite but it and the Shimano pedals are let down by rather poor back up.

The Eggbeaters are simple to work on and easy to replace the bearings. They're not as hardy as the other two but the backup is beyond reproach.

Bicicletta look after their customer which makes the pedals easy to live with.

I have bent the retention bars on the A.T.A.C's and the engagement bar on the SPD's on rocky terrain in both cases the distributors informed me I would new pedals because they do not carry those spares.

With the Eggbeaters, every part is available to rebuild the pedal after a mishap or wear and tear.

My money goes to the eggbeaters.

Voted with my wallet

Lefty yep, thats the plus of beaters, they might break, but they are rebuildable easily, the others not !

Must say I have hit my SL's on rocks plenty of times and no issues yet !

In answer to an earlier question DesertConvert, I also did the last 94.7 road race on my MTB with eggbeaters - no problem.