MTB Clipless pedals

DesertConvert

Which do you prefer, Crank Brothers Egg-Beaters or Shimano  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, Crank Brothers Egg-Beaters or Shimano

• Crank Brothers
    • Shimano

I'm full of dumb questions today but since I'm not keen on buying, trying & then selling again after 2 weeks I would like your opinions on the MTB clipless pedals that are available.

I've read some comparisons on the web, but discussions are always livelier Smile

1. How easy is it to pedal with clipless pedals wearing normal shoes(should it happen that I leave my bike shoes at home)?

1.1. How do the 2 types of pedals compare in relation to 1. above?

2. Space reserved for more questions Smile

I have used both but prefer my eggbeaters - especially in the mud.

Riding with tackies, trainers etc, not lekker due to the small area and no grip.

You can ride Crank Brother Candy's with tackies, but not Crank Brother Eggbeaters. I prefer Candy's / eggbeaters over Shimano

Moved from shimano to eggbeater sl.

Eggbeater is better in mud, but is more maintenance that shimano.

My eggbeaters unclip much easier. Will stay with eggbeaters even though they'll cost me more.

for the shimano's (and the Candy C's and I suppose some other pedals as well) you get clip in plarform thingies for cycling with normal shoes.

Most people ride with Shimano.

Virgin active even have SPD pedals on some of their spinning bikes.

I would say go for what most people in the group you ride with use, as it makes swapping bikes and trying out stuff a lot easier.

All but one of the guys in our group that use cleats rides with SPD's - and just being able to quickly swap bikes and try a stretch of trail with another bike is hugely helpful - specially if you like tweaking your bike.

Eggbeaters no question.  Can't remember how much I fell with the shimanos after I couldn't clip out in time !

Eggs are lighter and have nice float with the best mud clearance.  Shimanos just refuse to work after going through mud. 

The best thing about my CrankBrothers pedals is laughing at the Shimano boys as they fall over trying to unclip after a little mud!

The only Shimano pedals I use on my bikes are the DX flat pedals - they're awesome.

Having never ridden with cleats, how comfortable are the egg-beaters, considering that they only have 2 points of contact for the foot?

Would you recommend riding longer road races(eg. Argus, 94.7 etc) with the egg beaters? (My main activity will be riding in the dirt though)

ask yourself: which company sells rebuild kits? hehe!

nah, not knocking crank bros, but pedals seriously aren't something i worry about on a bike. ride with both.

Having never ridden with cleats' date=' how comfortable are the egg-beaters, considering that they only have 2 points of contact for the foot?

Would you recommend riding longer road races(eg. Argus, 94.7 etc) with the egg beaters? (My main activity will be riding in the dirt though)
[/quote']

They actually feel "bigger" than normal flat pedals - provided you have a decent, stiff sole shoe.

Egg whisks do it for me hey but thats personal. In summary:

Shimano

> Reliable

> Indestructable

> Well priced

> Proven and tested.

> Heavy

> A pain to serivce.

> Not so great in mud

Crankbrothers

> 4 points of engagment.

> Light, can be tuned down too under 120 grams a pair.

> Easily servicable.

> Great in gloop.

> Pricey.

> Not the strongest pedals out there.

> Can be problematic with disengaging in rocky terrain, rocks hit pedal, parts spring, foot falls out.

Am I missing anything??

Werner has a very valid point regarding ability to swap and ride spinning bikes, I ride SPD, but used time the otherday, and was blown away.

next set of pedals will be CB or time.

Still think SPD might be a better first clipless pedal for above reasons.

Shimano do make spd 1side and platform other.

or get a downhill pedal.

Spd in the middle with a bib BMX type platform arround it.
Giant2010-02-05 07:17:50

ask yourself: which company sells rebuild kits? hehe!
nah' date=' not knocking crank bros, but pedals seriously aren't something i worry about on a bike. ride with both.
[/quote']

Holy, never figured you as somebody who rides both ways?!?LOL

Why are you in hospital again?Wink

The only pedal I will change my Shimanos for is Look. Eggbeaters gave the knee pain.

Fair enough, the poached ones cured my knee probs.