Where can you find a "nose flare"

Bram_on_Madone

The other day I was on a training ride and I passed somebody that had a white sticker across the bridge of his nose, so I asked him what it was for.  He explained, that its called a "nose flare" and that it makes a huge difference on his breathing as it opens up his nose.

Now I struggling with sinuses myself and my interest sufficiently tickled, I wanted to try out this nose flare.  I have asked at all the LBS and all the sport shops I have come across in the last few weeks and nobody has even heard of the item.

Do any of you know where you can get it?

I use them when I ride the Ducati. They are available from all pharmacies - i find the menthol ones to be irritating.

I strongly suspect that from a sports perspective that these are another example of marketing talk and the power of the mind.

Yes i have tried them.

I know a few football players used to use them and said it helps breathing by opening the nostrils.

Slightly o/t: what's that cotton stuff they shove up their noses when warming up? is the cotton soaked in something?

Don't waste your money - those things are phony and do nothing for your breathing - unless you're intent on breathing with your mouth closed..

Slightly o/t: what's that cotton stuff they shove up their noses when warming up? is the cotton soaked in something?

Yep, I also used to wonder about this and it was discussed awhile ago on the hub (could not find the topic tho, might have been more than a year ago...)

If I recall they could be soaked in a menthol type product (Vicks for example) to help open up and ease breathing. I've even heard of people who believe that training in pine forests is benificial...

thanks for that swissV. quite interesting. I'm not even sure if i need something like to begin with, so what's typical 'symptoms', or does it work for all and sundry?

Pepermint oil, the pansies at the track use it when warming up. Supposed to open the nasal passages, sort of like sniffing one of those Vicks things.

Funny thing is that when exercising you breath almost exclusively (99.99999%) through your mouth ......

The best use for a Nose Flare is when you are sleeping, then having your nose a bit more open will allow you to breath easier.
obree2010-02-14 04:38:57

Pepermint oil' date=' the pansies at the track use it when warming up. Supposed to open the nasal passages, sort of like sniffing one of those Vicks things.

Funny thing is that when exercising you breath almost exclusively (99.99999%) through your mouth ......
[/quote']

Yello Mike, hoezit?

The power of the mind is a wondefull thing or some might say a disturbing thing...

Hey J, how R U + other J,

How is the weather there, just been watchin some Winter olympics from Vancouver

All good thks

Dont talk about the weather, its been a long winter.

Meanwhile I believe Boksburg is cooking....

Todays weather

http://www.swisswebcams.ch/deutsch/img/wetter/3.gif http://www.swisswebcams.ch/deutsch/img/wetter/3.gif
So
-9 / -2?C

Webcam from our local hill