Lilo

Which is better??  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better??

• Bubble wrap the bike
    • Box
    • Bike box
    • Bike bag

CO2 canisters are compressed air. Checked in luggage is scanned, they pick up the canister and remove the luggage. You can't take it as hand luggage either. This happened to me on a Cape Town to PE flight. Luckily I was there when the box was scanned and they allowed me to remove the bombs so that my bike can go on the plane. My MTB partner wasn't so lucky and had to track down his checked-in luggage 10 minutes before take-off.

On the flight back, the shifters were slightly damaged (bent). It might be a once-off occurence, but next time I'll ask my LBS for a box, just to be safe.

To protect the lower frame and crankset I use the Strider Splint goodie that you put your frame onto like a bike rack, then the whole thing goes into a bike bag, with wheels in the pockets. If you dont have that, at least remove your RD and wrap in in bubble wrap and tape against lower chain stay (don't have to remove it from the chain), its the most vulnerable and could also bend/damage your hanger. Also turn your bars and brakes down so no protruding bits.

In terms of excess baggage it seems pot luck but be prepared to pay if it and your baggage goes over their limits. Had a phat argument last time with 1-time, some geeza next to me didn't have to pay excess for golf clubs, they allow those on as "Sporting equipment" without it counting to your baggage limit, but why not bikes! Possibly their strategy for sucking up to the typical 'executives'. Last time I flew SAA they had no qualms nor wanted more $ for 27 kg total, might have had something to do with my Voyager membership though, I think you get some extra but was happy not to know the exact reason why they didn't want me to pay excess.

To protect the lower frame and crankset I use the Strider Splint goodie that you put your frame onto like a bike rack, then the whole thing goes into a bike bag, with wheels in the pockets. If you dont have that, at least remove your RD and wrap in in bubble wrap and tape against lower chain stay (don't have to remove it from the chain), its the most vulnerable and could also bend/damage your hanger. Also turn your bars and brakes down so no protruding bits.

In terms of excess baggage it seems pot luck but be prepared to pay if it and your baggage goes over their limits. Had a phat argument last time with 1-time, some geeza next to me didn't have to pay excess for golf clubs, they allow those on as "Sporting equipment" without it counting to your baggage limit, but why not bikes! Possibly their strategy for sucking up to the typical 'executives'. Last time I flew SAA they had no qualms nor wanted more $ for 27 kg total, might have had something to do with my Voyager membership though, I think you get some extra but was happy not to know the exact reason why they didn't want me to pay excess.

I think they tend to look at you and your luggage total weight. Also didn't get charged at East London in Jan when my bike boks was 30kg. I think if you a big boy, and you have extra you pay. Which is fair.

Well for the compliment cervelo but I am hardly a skinny rake: 88 Kgs aka 'mafuta' so who knows, anyway ignorance is bliss.

But it does seem random, since the return flight from CT to Jhb on above mentioned trip on 1Time attracted no further dues.

I used to be a “roll-on” guy and travelled twice a month return JHB to Cape Town with either a MTB or Road bike for a number of years. I used lengths of foam cladding used for hot water pipes to protect the paintwork and never had a problem with the airlines or damage to the bike.

I used this method early Sept from CT and although there was a different drop off point in the new terminal, I had no problem with BA.

However, travelling from JHB to George with Kulula for K2C, I was told that the bike “had to be packed in a bag” and was forced to go to the suitcase wrapping booth, remove the front wheel, and have it “wrapped” in two layers of cling wrap. I have never been so nervous and was convinced the bike would not make it undamaged.

Returning from George, no problem just to roll it on.

This inconsistency has led to considering a hard case as the argument with the Luggage Nazi put a dampener on the flight.

I have two questions:

1)How does one travel with a case on the other side? Do these cases fit into a car? If so, which case is best?

2)How much dismantling is needed and would I need a torque-wrench to re-assemble?

Eddy I normally try get a small hatch back car the other end, then lower the rear seat, and its a comfy fit even after bike assembly (sans one wheel). But a bike bag will fit transversely onto the back seat of an el-cheapo Golf if you are in a rush. Tools: I get by with Allen key from my multi-tool, just get a feeling for the necessary torque for headset, bar-end and other bolts. It takes me 10-15 mins to put the bike back together.

And don't forget to put your tools in your checked in luggage. I had such a stressed-out panic ridden scene a couple weeks ago, put my tool bag in my hand luggage to save some checked in weight, then they wouldn't let me through to the departure area, had to go back to check in the tools but only after scouring the airport for a random cardboard box to put the tool bag in (which SAA demanded), all with seconds to spare before the flight closed.