Does carbon frame really crack on Thule hang rack

Purnjap

Hey [color=#000000">Velouria[/color">

?

It was the salesman at Thule that said that when he sold it to me (at the time I had aluminium frame)' date= but when I asked a chap at Cyclelab whether its true, he said he has never heard of that happening. Hence my confusion, was the salesman only trying to make a bigger sale or has the guy at cyclelab just not gotten around enough (they are so young these cyclelab lads)...
[/quote]

I put my carbon bike on a hanging rack, and have done so for years (not a Thule though). I don't see anything on Thule's website about hanging racks being bad for carbon frames.

isn't it weird that we are so concerned about the strength of our machines whilst tied to carriers, but then we happily saddle up and let them carry our weight over rocks and stumps and lovely soft tarmac.  hopefully the next few years will sort out all these carbon concerns, or not..? i reviewed the easton carbon seatpost and and for a very long time had nightmares about a half carbon post jutting from my a$*

I have both the Thule hanging rack and also the platform for my carbon bikes. I can?t see how a carbon frame will crack due to the hanging? There are however 2 problems with the Thule hanging rack you should be aware of. Firstly as mentioned by DanielXT, the rack swivels on the tow bar ball when there is a moderate wind blowing or when vehicle speed is too high ? both your bike and vehicle bumper can get damaged. Furthermore, the Thule straps are not strong enough to hold the frame on to the rack particularly when there is a moderate wind blowing outside and/or when car speed gets near 100km or less if windy ? so you need to use additional tie?s. I have stopped using the Thule hanging rack unless over short distances at slow speeds with only one bike with extra tie downs.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have a Thule hanging rack and it is much more secure than my old Holdfast clanger.  My carbon bike sits secure and no bobbing or shaking and I was pleasantly surprised how secure it is. 

LOL This is funny. How we have progressed! The okes have such Hi tech frames that they need a cotton wool clamshell case to move them around? LOL

Get a steel frame, drink Black Label and go to hotrods on Friday night!

Seriously - I am pretty sure that if it was a real problem we would have heard about it by now? Carbon tubing is bloody strong - as long as the force is reasonably well distributed.

I have heard from several guys from thule not to use a hanging rack for carbon frames and only use the standing types.

I know of people that use the hanging type for carbon mtb's.

I am looking for a new bike rack and have carbon mtb and road.

I will easily use the mtb on a hanging rack, but not sure about my roadbike.

Just get some bungy cordes and secure the bike.

The force exerted on a bike hanging from its frame is considerable when at high speed and you hit a pothole or a donga...if you have an expensive carbon fibre frame get a rack that the bike sits on.

The most recent Thule racks should not shift on the towball if tightened or adjusted correctly & that you do not drive at excessive speed.

Get No Sway cages to prevent the bikes from swinging (hint...put extra padding in the No Sway Cages to prevent possible chaffing of the bikeLOL frame).