Cleaning your MTB chain...

MJ the Expat

And what do you guys do with the dirty parafine?

Uhm... start your next braai with it? LOL

Yeah good for starting a fire, or else just throw it somewhere in the garden, or down the drain. If you really want to maximise your investment you can drink it.

It isn't a hazardous liquid.
Carbon_Kooi2010-03-08 09:31:48

just be carefull of oven cleaner, there's a warning on there that says do not use on aluminium...

I've seen a bike with the old 960 XTR on and the dude's helper cleaned it with sugar soap, it took all the cool silver anodizing off... 

Yeah good for starting a fire' date=' or else just throw it somewhere in the garden, or down the drain. If you really want to maximise your investment you can drink it.

[/quote']

Put it in a jar, add some old tea bags, and there you go, firelighters!

Yeah good for starting a fire' date=' or else just throw it somewhere in the garden, or down the drain. If you really want to maximise your investment you can drink it.

[/quote']

Put it in a jar, add some old tea bags, and there you go, firelighters!

Bingo! A boer maak 'n plan Clap

Oven cleaner on a bike chain is bad news. I have used it before - very corrosive! Made my chain look like an old rusted chain in no time. Boiling water, sunlight liquid and a chain cleaner will clean any dirty chain.

Another plus for Clean Green is that its water soluble, which other solvents like Parafin arent, so just a spray with a hose pipe and all the messy fluids are taken care of.

I shall run a test with an old chain and oven cleaner and see what comes up...I did nothing to my new chain though...But lets see how much and how long before the "corrosion" starts...Watch this space.

Of course I will include pics. LOL

[/quote'] Don't chuck used diesel/parraffin in  the garden or drain it is bad for the environment, what if your dog/cat got some in their system after you, like a twit chucked it in the garden? bees? plants? etc. etc....

I use Pedros bio degradeable degreaser, works extremely well, just pricey, not sure what I am going to use when it's done as I got it from Sportsmans on a clearence sale.

[/quote'] Don't chuck used diesel/parraffin in  the garden or drain it is bad for the environment, what if your dog/cat got some in their system after you, like a twit chucked it in the garden? bees? plants? etc. etc....

Do you feel the power now? Does it feel good?

Do not attack people you don't know, it's a good rule of life.

A VERY good cleaner is the Motorex bike wash, biodegradable, and just spray it on leave for 5-10min and rinse off. leaves everything sparkling clean. Just a tad on the pricey side...