Mongoose Tyax Super - thoughts?

wesley_r

Hey hubbers

I'm about to drop some coin on a new mtn bike. My first, actually. Been riding a borrowed bike until now (an old, cheap borrowed bike) and have decided that I'd like to get myself an entry-ish level hardtail with hydraulic discs.

My riding at the moment is 2 - 3 afternoon rides a week around the burbs for fitness (with some trails as shortcuts mixed in) plus magic forest when I can, and as soon as I get my bike Jonkershoek and Grabouw... afternoon rides for fitness, trail rides for fun (I prefer the trail stuff as I ride an offroad motorcycle)...

I looked at a couple of bikes, and settled on the Mongoose Tyax Super (2010) which retails at +- R6 500

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo314/th3_w3s/786_511_M10TYASU_294_2.jpg

BRAKE LEVERS: ProMax hydraulic

COG SET: SRAM PG-950 11-32 9-speed Cassette

STEM: Mongoose alloy 31.8 x 90 mm (S & M) 110 mm (L, XL)

FORK: Rock Shox Tora (100mm travel)

RIMS: ALEX TD24 Double Wall, Disc specific

GRIPS: Mongoose Dual density Kraton

BOTTOM BRACKET: FSA ISIS cartridge

REAR HUB: Formula Disc Alloy QR and freehub 32H

SEAT POST: Mongoose Alloy w/ micro adjust clamp

FRONT DERAILLEUR: Suntour XCR414

REAR BRAKE: Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic Disc w/ 160 mm rotors

TIRES: 26x2.1 Kenda ExCavator

SHIFTERS: SRAM X5 triggers 27 speed

HANDLEBAR: Mongoose alloy riser 31.8x30x635 mm (XS, S) 685 mm (M, L, XL)

FRAME: Mongoose 6061 formed aluminum, Zero Stack head tube and replaceable hanger

CHAIN: KMC Z-9200

HEADSET: 1 1/8" Zero Stack

CRANKSET / CHAINWHEEL: FSA ALPHA DRIVE 44/32/22T ISIS

FRONT HUB: Formula Disc Alloy QR 32H

SADDLE: Mongoose XC Elite

PEDALS: alloy platform

FRONT BRAKE: Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic Disc w/ 160 mm rotors

SPOKES: 14G stainless

REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM X-5

SEAT CLAMP: Mongoose Alloy QR

The other bikes I was looking at were the Merida Matts TFS XC 100-D, the Scott Aspect 45, and the Giant Terrago Disc.

No-one has that Scott in stock, so that's out.

Although many people rave about the Merida, I just don't like how it feels. The Mongoose and Giant seem to have a more aggressive "trail riding" geometry, while the Merida seems long and flat in comparison. The sales guy at one of my LBSs reckons the 'Goose frame is actually lighter than the Merida, and the components better, not sure about the weight, all these bikes feel the same to me (I guess there's not much diffs in this price range).

The Giant has decent components (Shimano Deore mostly) - not sure on the SRAM stuff whether the 'Goose's components are good or not. The sales guy at another LBS agrees that the Giant and 'Goose are a little more "trail" biased than the Merida, and he reckons that the Giant's frame is slightly better than the Mongoose's, BUT that the shock on the Mongoose makes it an attractive package. I tend to agree with him.

So yeah, the geometry and the shock have really sold me on this bikes. I haven't a clue whether the components are good, and I'm not really experienced enough to feel whether the weight should be a concern or not (like I said, feels lighter than the Merida, but slightly heavier than the Giant, but marginal, if at all different).

Another option might be the Trek 4500 - but my brother in law (riding partner) has one. Matching bikes, not so cool... plus the Mongoose has the better shock...

Enough rambling for me... what say you guys?

I have a Mongoose Canaan Comp and the frame is possibly similar to yours. One of the differences is that I have rear suspension however the front shock is probably similar. Have been happy with the bike and have only had to replace the rear gear cable in the 10 months I have had it and I have done quite a few races during the last year up to 45km.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_in/bikes/models/images/700/2010/2000-GI-Terrago-DISC_GOLDBLACK-WH.jpg

SizesXS,S,M,L
ColorsBULE/BLACK/WHITE, GOLD/BLACK/WHITE
FrameGIANT ALUXX SL
ForkSR SUNTOUR XCR-LO /100MM TRAVEL
ShockN / A 
HandlebarGIANT XC ALLOY (FOV) 31.8
StemGIANT XC ALLOY (FOV) 31.8
SeatpostGIANT ALLOY 30.9
SaddleVELO VL-1257 D2
PedalsWELLGO LU-313 ALLOY
ShiftersSHIMANO DEORE SL-M530
Front DerailleurSHIMANO DEORE FD-M510
Rear DerailleurSHIMANO DEORE RD-M591
BrakesSHIMANO HYDRAULIC BRM-486
Brake LeversSHIMANO HYDRAULIC BRM-486
CassetteSRAM PG-950
ChainSHIMANO HG-53 SUPER NARROW
CranksetSHIMANO FCM-443
Bottom BracketSHIMANO BB-ES25
RimsALEX DP-17 DISC DOUBLE WALL
HubsFORMULA DC-20/DC-22
Spokes14G STAINLESS BLACK
TiresKENDA K-848

Geometry

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_in/bikes/models/geometry//2009/9AS8Series.JPG

yip, that's the giant. bloody nice bike as far as i can tell, but a couple of ront more, and the mongoose has a better shock...

unfortunately i can't say i'll buy the giant and upgrade the shock later, as i know that i won't be upgrading anything on the bike for a long time

LBS sales guy also reckons that the rock shox is more serviceable with better backup in the country than mongoose

Have a good shop around, before I bought my GT (I went to loads of shops, scoured the internet for new and second hand bikes), the LBS had lots of bikes they were willing to discount for me. Remember to save a few pennies for some extras such as slime, liners, bottle cages, gloves, better saddle, grips, cain stay protector etc etc (endless list......)!!!

yip' date=' that's the giant. bloody nice bike as far as i can tell, but a couple of ront more, and the mongoose has a better shock...

unfortunately i can't say i'll buy the giant and upgrade the shock later, as i know that i won't be upgrading anything on the bike for a long time

LBS sales guy also reckons that the rock shox is more serviceable with better backup in the country than mongoose[/quote']

Thats what mine told me about RockShox (after I had bought a bike with Suntour forks)!

Well, we took over the agency for SR-Suntour late last year and I can say that there are no forks that are easier to service that Suntour. Most parts are interchangable between models and turnaround time on repairs and servicing is getting better and better as we get to grips with the new products. Suntour makes great forks and quite a few of the Euro riders at PMB last year were on Suntour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stear you away from the 'goose, I'm just adressing the LBS sales guys knowledge if "X" Vs "Y".

Well' date=' we took over the agency for SR-Suntour late last year and I can say that there are no forks that are easier to service that Suntour. Most parts are interchangable between models and turnaround time on repairs and servicing is getting better and better as we get to grips with the new products. Suntour makes great forks and quite a few of the Euro?riders at PMB last year were on Suntour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stear you away from the 'goose, I'm just adressing the LBS sales guys?knowledge if "X" Vs "Y".
[/quote']

Thanks for the head's up - I do often feel like sales guys base their feedback on opinion rather than fact...

So Suntour is as good as Rock Shox, but how does that specific fork (XCR) compare to the Tora?

HAHA. I'm not getting into a Suntour Vs Rockshox Vs Fox Vs ....debate. Everyone will give you a different answer and I might be seen as biased too. I'm just saying that Suntour is good, way better than most riders think and easy to service.

You'd have to ask some reputable mechanics, which I'm not, about which is "better" and obivously compare apples to apples.

Don't ask the sales guys, go ask the guy with the apron, tools and the grease.

hey' date=' I had to try smiley2.gif

must say, I really like the Giant as well... decisions decisions[/quote']

I feel for you! Had the same kind of problems a week or so ago! Be warned, you will experience Sod's Law once you have bought the bike......i.e seeing the same bike/better bike advertised somewhere else for a much better price!!

Still nothing beats having your own new bike!!

The Mongoose!

This bike is bulletproof and it comes with beter kit than the Giant, apart from the hydraulic brakes. This specific version of the Tyax, used to come with the XRC fork. I know, cause my girlfriend had the same back three years ago. So, the RS Tora is a good shock. My experience with the XCR fork was good reliability, but it did not feel very well made. The remote-lockout worked well, but it felt rock, rock hard and 'intenally loose' somewhere.

Other than that, I think both bikes will provide you with a quality ride. Period.

I think you like the Mongoose more and you should buy the bike you feel 'cooler as ekke' on! 'Cause on the trail, chicks see you and they will go: 'nice bike'!

Anyways, the Mongoose is the one I'd choose......also....its got SRAM kit on.....never say die stuff that...!!

bak2basiks2010-03-10 03:47:28

Nothing wrong with Tektro brakes (the ones specced are Hydraulic).

Tektro makes brakes for other companies (e.g. Cane Creek) and have heard

(on the web mind you) that the Auriga make use of a shimano design

under license.

Tho I do wonder why the have Pro-Max levers instead of Tektro levers.

The main differences between the bike are:

a) the fork

I would go with the Rockshok, I agree suntour has some

really underated fork, higher up the line (Duro, etc. spring to mind),

the XCR is a bit lower down, tho it is better than the Merida branded

Suntour forks you find on on the entry-level merida's.

*I have not compared the 2 forks side by side and could be completely wrong.

b)The Groupset.

The Giant comes with a Shimano Deore groupset, The Mongoose comes with

an SRAM X5 groupset.

To me not much in it there.

The main thing is to try both of them and see which feels better, if the shop will let you go for a proper ride with them.

@ Ghostface: Are you guys doing the full Suntour range? They make some interesting looking stuff.

@ Ghostface: Are you guys doing the full Suntour range? They make some interesting looking stuff.

?

We are quietly?growing. http://dragonsza.blogspot.com/2009/12/sr-suntour-in-stock.html?(some photos aren't correct)

?

We?now also?have Epicon 29er and the Axon ELD (Electronic Lockout) in stock. There will be a review on this in the press soon.

?

This is tunring into a hijack. Sorry.

no worries   smiley36.gif

I'm actually glad you hijacked - I see you guys do Mavic - thinking of getting the Cruise (I think - the black "suede" one)... been told shoes are the way forward but need to keep it on the cheap and these seem good - what can you tell me?