Cape epic : Over rated?

amoryns

So do you think the cape epic has become over rated?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. So do you think the cape epic has become over rated?

• Yes
    • No
    • Just another way to milk SA cyclists

the organisers aren't stupid - they are creating a demand to justify pushing the price up.

Firstly....For those that think it's too expensive....you try and get an 8 day "all-expenses paid" cycling trip for two people anywhere in the world and see if you can get away for less than the entry fee....i very much doubt it. I'm looking at a 3 day trip from a 'basecamp' meaning no special logistics or planning, no tents, tankers, electricity teams, plumbing teams etc etc.....priced at close to $800!!!

Secondly....I personally know people that work there, who have seen the books and anyone that has will tell you that after 4 events, ABSA, Adidas, Toyota sponsors and all those entry fees, the event is STILL running at  a loss! FACT!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly....For those that think it's too expensive....you try and get an 8 day "all-expenses paid" cycling trip for two people anywhere in the world and see if you can get away for less than the entry fee....i very much doubt it. I'm looking at a 3 day trip from a 'basecamp' meaning no special logistics or planning, no tents, tankers, electricity teams, plumbing teams etc etc.....priced at close to $800!! 

My little 3 day escapade with my son in Mashatu Game Reserve next week is costing R7200

Ok we get to be meals on wheels but Minty is right.

Go price any decent multi day ride overseas and you will get a shock

Firstly....For those that think it's too expensive....you try and get an 8 day "all-expenses paid" cycling trip for two people anywhere in the world and see if you can get away for less than the entry fee....i very much doubt it. I'm looking at a 3 day trip from a 'basecamp' meaning no special logistics or planning' date=' no tents, tankers, electricity teams, plumbing teams etc etc.....priced at close to $800!!!

[/quote']

Just to be clear....that's $800 FOR ONE PERSON!!!

The cape Epic, per day, is cheaper than many other events.

It offers a good value in that it's an opportunity to

focus your own lifestyle

ride routes that may not always be available year round

meet riders from around the world

ride along side professional international racer's

an excuse to spend 9 days in the countryside with only one goal.

If you don't see it as value then don't sign up for the lottery. SImple as that.

I guess some people are still stuck on existentialism, that ok, but try to combine it with zen buddism..

Cape Epic 2008 here I come... Big%20smile

The Epic is an amazing well organised event and should never be classed as over rated. Shimano provided back up and support for all the riders and even though we worked, our team of 10 enjoyed the event very much.The problem is its limited to how many people can participate as the logistics are huge and costly for all.The system used to access as a participant is one of the best ways,giving everybody a fair chance to compete in this World Class event.

Well done to Kevin and his Team

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A TOP ATHELTE FOR THE EPIC TO PARTNER WITH I HAVE A CONNECTION

SM

I haven't been a top athlete for a while - but hopefully the 260 odd days are enough to get back into shape!

I've put my name down on the waiting list and if I don't get in (the likelihood being 99.99%), I'll seriously consider volunteering to guarantee an entry in 2009.

Yes, I know that it costs R 2.5k, but to me its a worthwhile investment in a sport I enjoy and an added bonus is I get to have a working holiday.

Difinately a defining moment in my life..

This is an experience that will remain in memory till the end of days!!!  Not for ONE moment do I think it is overated.

well, any internationally aclaimed event thats gonna have international riders in , will have entry fees in international currency/prices. Same as with Ironman, if you gonna make entry fees for the Epic R2500, you won't be able to afford the price money and your international riders will stay away. Unfortunately we have Africa Currency, which is worth nothing. And to race against the american/Europeans you're gonna have to pay what they pay - in Euros/Dollars(US that is).Cry

Battling to get an entry for the CE ?

Try this.......

For those of you who want

to ride the Epic but cannot crack an entry in the lottery here is a sure fire

way to get in. All international entries get automatic acceptance and once they

have been allocated space the rest of the vacancies get drawn for. So if you

want to definitely get in, enter as an

international.

International is anyone resident outside of South Africa. To get this

right you need to be a little creative in your thinking and acquire a

mailing address outside of RSA to serve as your primary point of

contact which should not be too difficult for all you ingenious

would-be entrants.

This

address would serve as your postal contact address and whoever collects

the mail at that point would have to forward anything addressed to you

onwards. Nothing too difficult or onerous I'm sure. Lots of you guys

could be "potentially working out of the country on contract or

whatever", and this endows international status to you fortunately, if

you get my drift.

Too late for this year's draw unfortunately, but

there's still next year's for 2009 by which time you could easily have saved up

the entry fee as well in little bite sized installments.

Try it and see, it may just work for

you.

Battling to get an entry for the CE ?

Try this.......

For those of you who want to ride the Epic but cannot crack an entry in the lottery here is a sure fire way to get in. All international entries get automatic acceptance and once they have been allocated space the rest of the vacancies get drawn for. So if you want to definitely get in' date=' enter as an international.

International is anyone resident outside of South Africa. To get this right you need to be a little creative in your thinking and acquire a mailing address outside of RSA to serve as your primary point of contact which should not be too difficult for all you ingenious would-be entrants.

This address would serve as your postal contact address and whoever collects the mail at that point would have to forward anything addressed to you onwards. Nothing too difficult or onerous I'm sure. Lots of you guys could be "potentially working out of the country on contract or whatever", and this endows international status to you fortunately, if you get my drift.

Too late for this year's draw unfortunately, but there's still next year's for 2009 by which time you could easily have saved up the entry fee as well in little bite sized installments.

Try it and see, it may just work for you.

This does not work.I am resident outside RSA.

I did not get an entry

I did not get an entry

The western cape does not count as international territory (although they play rugby as if they come from Bellarus), neither does Benoni.

I did not get an entry

The western cape does not count as international territory (although they play rugby as if they come from Bellarus)' date=' neither does Benoni.

[/quote']

LOLClap

I did not get an entry

The western cape does not count as international territory (although they play rugby as if they come from Bellarus)' date=' neither does Benoni.

[/quote']

P**p**l

I work and reside in Botswana