Prize Money at Road Races

mallo

I thought that the Argus was traditionally a charity event' date=' with the proceeds being split between PPA and Rotary. I was always under the impression that there wasn't any prize money because it was a charity event.[/quote']you have to make it worth while for the pro/semi pro teams to pitch for a "funride" like this.Yeah the titel is more worth it than the cash, but you got to give them what they deserve. For some of them its another day at the office - if its not worth while then there is no need to try and become a pro rider in SA.

Of course it's worth their while. They all knew the prize purse before the event yet still felt it worthwhile to enter because that is how their sponsors get coverage.

If the pro teams didn't start the Argus then the only difference to the other 35000 riders is that there would be 60 or 70 less people finishing in front of them.

Yeah obviously thats why the sponsor in the first place - to get the company name out there.

but the fact is - riders don't get paid more as the company gets more clients. So from the race organizers they can do more towards giving the rider / riders a decent prize to work for.

Surely some teams get a bonus or something if they win - but hell - this is the Argus and its a very big thing to win it, so at least they can give the riders more.

Imagine a international team wins it - R16 000 = only 1573 ? thats not a lot.

If they made it more then the team can decide to split it into team income and maybe a bit for charity if

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years ago 94.7 published a list of their expenses and it looked like they were actually subsidising the riders yet what they did not give was their income from the entry plus that of all the sponsors to be published as well then one would have got the true race value.

When the race organizers walk of with around 6.5 million in profit it says something about the cyclists been their cash cows this after they have handed charity their share.

R16,000 is a joke. This is the biggest road race in South Africa and the biggest timed sporting event in the world.

This sends a message internationally and to up and coming athletes about the value placed on Road Cycling in SA. Maybe the organisers don't want it to become a feature on the pro calendar?

Your Entry Fee into the 2010 Momentum 94.7

Cycle Challenge is R270.

The breakdown is as follows:

R 232.50 + R 32.50(VAT) + R5 (CSA rider levy) = R270.00

This goes some way to cover the actual cost of putting each cyclist on the road

?Registration process and year round Race Office to service your Cycle Challenge needs

?8km of fencing to keep the roads on the route closed

?4000 straw bales to keep the roads on the route closed

?3400 orange cones to close the route one block away from the route

?600 marshals ? who need to be transported and dropped off at their points from 03:00 and picked up from 15:00

?400 JMPD Traffic Officers

?300 toilets at the start/route/finish and 30 janitors to keep them clean

?300 security staff on route and at the venue

?200 medical staff on route and at the finish

?170 Physio and Chiro students and 12 qualified Physio?s and Chiro?s on route and at the finish

?120 Start Marshals - Start Team

?120 Finish Marshals - Finish Team

?35 Joburg Roads Agency staff to place and pick up the cones

?30 Traffic Free Flow officers to direct traffic

?30 Off Road Rescue Units who patrol the route, send communications to the Joint Operations Centre and sweep cyclists abandoning their ride

?25 Think Bikes patrolling the route and trouble shooting

?20 Sweep Vehicles with trailers and drivers

?20 bakkies to transport the 100 casual staff who physically place the fencing and bales in the intersections to effect road closure, from 00:00 ? 06:00

?10 Water points with Energade, water, ice, toilets, rubbish bins and 50 support staff per point

?8 Megabus busses to assist with the sweep with drivers and route leaders.

?Generators - providing power for lights; sound; catering at the Start and Venue

?Route cleaning and recycling of waste.

?Feeding and watering of all the staff mentioned above

?Race number and race pack

?Commemorative Medal

?Goody Bag at registration

?Ice cold Energade and water at the finish

?We allow for 450 complimentary entries to previously disadvantaged communities, the physically disabled cyclists, mentally disabled cyclists, blind cyclists and we support the Fortune Seven Cycling team ? who last year all finished under three hours.

As one can see this seems to be a huge amount of money that needs to be raised to host the event yet nowhere will they give their actual income they receive for the event from all sponsors and entry fees

Most of the water points are sold to the companies manning them as well, nothing is actually given for free even the food sold at the finish area comes at a huge cost to the vendors. 2008 I hosted my club tent on the main road outside the finish area and had to deal with endless harrasment from JMPD and the health dept because I was advertising my sponsor of the day "NANDO'S', simply because somebody on the inside never received financial benefit from us.    

Hi Mallo... is there a possibility that a small breakdown for the list of equipment needed etc for the race? I have no doubt it was expensive.... have held small events before so kinda know the costs involved but would like to see roughly what it would have costed for the Argus.... get to the bottom of this and provide the right info and provide clarity on this subject

Cycle Challenge is R270.

?Registration process and year round Race Office so they employ people for a year to manage 1 race? to service your Cycle Challenge needs I thought that is what volunteers are for

?8km of fencing to keep the roads on the route closed fair

?4000 straw bales to keep the roads on the route closed fair

?3400 orange cones to close the route one block away from the route fair

?600 marshals I thought that is what volunteers are for ? who need to be transported and dropped off at their points from 03:00 and picked up from 15:00 fair

?400 JMPD Traffic Officers council should sponsor those

?300 toilets at the start/route/finish and 30 janitors to keep them clean fair

?300 security staff on route and at the venue fair

?200 medical staff on route and at the finish fair

?170 Physio and Chiro students and 12 qualified Physio?s and Chiro?s on route and at the finish fair

?120 Start Marshals - Start Team I thought that is what volunteers are for

?120 Finish Marshals - Finish Team I thought that is what volunteers are for

?35 Joburg Roads Agency staff to place and pick up the cones fair

?30 Traffic Free Flow officers to direct traffic fair

?30 Off Road Rescue Units who patrol the route' date=' send communications to the Joint Operations Centre and sweep cyclists abandoning their ride fair

?25 Think Bikes patrolling the route and trouble shooting I thought that is what volunteers are for. Okay give the petrol money like with other races

?20 Sweep Vehicles with trailers and drivers I thought that is what volunteers are for. Okay give the petrol money like with other races

?20 bakkies to transport the 100 casual staff who physically place the fencing and bales in the intersections to effect road closure, from 00:00 ? 06:00 fair. Hope the bakkies are covered because it's illegal to transport people on open bakkies

?10 Water points with Energade, water, ice, toilets, rubbish bins and 50 support staff per point I thought that is what volunteers and sponsors are for

?8 Megabus busses to assist with the sweep with drivers and route leaders. fair

?Generators - providing power for lights; sound; catering at the Start and Venue fair

?Route cleaning and recycling of waste. I thought that is what volunteers are for

?Feeding and watering of all the staff mentioned above fair

?Race number and race pack sponsored

?Commemorative Medal fair. That is R5

?Goody Bag at registration sponsored

?Ice cold Energade and water at the finish sponsored

?We allow for 450 complimentary entries to previously disadvantaged communities, the physically disabled cyclists, mentally disabled cyclists, blind cyclists and we support the Fortune Seven Cycling team ? who last year all finished under three hours. fair

[/quote']

I doubt we can meaningfully audit the annual expenses of the Argus Cycle Tour here on The Hub.

What we can say without fear of contradiction is that the prize money is piss poor for such a huge, landmark sporting even that undoubtedly generates immense revenue for Cape Town.

Is the organization of a cycling event so much more expensive than that of a golf tournament or any other major event? Does it not come down to the major sponsors attaching their name to certain events and provide the money then also for the prizes?

Take Nedbank for instance sponsoring the Argus partly as well as some golf tournaments. Why would cycling get the inferior sponsorship?

So I think it comes down to percentages. What percentage of the country would rather watch a certain sport on the tellie if it was broadcasted at the same time?

I doubt we can meaningfully audit the annual expenses of the Argus Cycle Tour here on The Hub.

What we can say without fear of contradiction is that the prize money is piss poor for such a huge' date=' landmark sporting even that undoubtedly generates immense revenue for Cape Town.

[/quote']

True but maybe a better indication to allow those to understand. Maybe we can make some calls.... or is it useless?

Cycle Challenge is R270.

?Registration process and year round Race Office so they employ people for a year to manage 1 race? to service your Cycle Challenge needs I thought that is what volunteers are for

?8km of fencing to keep the roads on the route closed fair

?4000 straw bales to keep the roads on the route closed fair

?3400 orange cones to close the route one block away from the route fair

?600 marshals I thought that is what volunteers are for ? who need to be transported and dropped off at their points from 03:00 and picked up from 15:00 fair

?400 JMPD Traffic Officers council should sponsor those

?300 toilets at the start/route/finish and 30 janitors to keep them clean fair

?300 security staff on route and at the venue fair

?200 medical staff on route and at the finish fair

?170 Physio and Chiro students and 12 qualified Physio?s and Chiro?s on route and at the finish fair

?120 Start Marshals - Start Team I thought that is what volunteers are for

?120 Finish Marshals - Finish Team I thought that is what volunteers are for

?35 Joburg Roads Agency staff to place and pick up the cones fair

?30 Traffic Free Flow officers to direct traffic fair

?30 Off Road Rescue Units who patrol the route' date=' send communications to the Joint Operations Centre and sweep cyclists abandoning their ride fair

?25 Think Bikes patrolling the route and trouble shooting I thought that is what volunteers are for. Okay give the petrol money like with other races

?20 Sweep Vehicles with trailers and drivers I thought that is what volunteers are for. Okay give the petrol money like with other races

?20 bakkies to transport the 100 casual staff who physically place the fencing and bales in the intersections to effect road closure, from 00:00 ? 06:00 fair. Hope the bakkies are covered because it's illegal to transport people on open bakkies

?10 Water points with Energade, water, ice, toilets, rubbish bins and 50 support staff per point I thought that is what volunteers and sponsors are for

?8 Megabus busses to assist with the sweep with drivers and route leaders. fair

?Generators - providing power for lights; sound; catering at the Start and Venue fair

?Route cleaning and recycling of waste. I thought that is what volunteers are for

?Feeding and watering of all the staff mentioned above fair

?Race number and race pack sponsored

?Commemorative Medal fair. That is R5

?Goody Bag at registration sponsored

?Ice cold Energade and water at the finish sponsored

?We allow for 450 complimentary entries to previously disadvantaged communities, the physically disabled cyclists, mentally disabled cyclists, blind cyclists and we support the Fortune Seven Cycling team ? who last year all finished under three hours. fair

[/quote']

AFAIK the physio students in the Argus don't get paid, but I could be wrong

If the Argus was marketed as the worlds only African one-day classic with a significant purse and five big Euro Pro teams all turned up to compete, what percentage of international cycling fans would

a) watch it

b) want to ride over chappies

If the Giro as a whole was marketed similarly it would have an even better chance of succeeding - more worth making the long plane trip. And the winelands would doubtless do very well off the back of it.

At the moment what we have is a nice big funride with some crappy camerawork by our national tv network which probably doesn't make it past our borders.

The purpose of Argus was not to race it, but to uplift cycling awareness.  Talk about hijacking a good cause.

Also, the media coverage a sponsor gets from a win, will always make it in the team SPONSORS best interest to make their riders race it, regardless of the prize money.  To whine about the prize money in public is UNPROFESSIONAL.  This issue should have been taken up with the team management, and a bonus system should have been negotiated from thye team financiers.

Lastly, this year the "beat Lance" incentive far outweighs any prize money

I'm glad Malcolm had a "whine". I didn't know the prize money was such an embarrassment and now hopefully someone will do something about it.

Is the organization of a cycling event so much more expensive than that of a golf tournament or any other major event? Does it not come down to the major sponsors attaching their name to certain events and provide the money then also for the prizes?

Take Nedbank for instance sponsoring the Argus partly as well as some golf tournaments. Why would cycling get the inferior sponsorship?

So I think it comes down to percentages. What percentage of the country would rather watch a certain sport on the tellie if it was broadcasted at the same time?

Closing down roads etc does take alot of money in order to do so and have staff man positions etc..... and volunteers help to a huge extent.

But compare the Comrades to the Argus -

The 2009 Comrades Marathon had 12890 entries @ R270 which equates to R3 480 300

versus

Argus +- 38 000 riders x R240   =  R 9 120 000

YET the prize money for comrades is R250 000 (not to mention how much more is generated for winning through sponsors etc)

Also - the coverage of the comrades is somewhat 12hours of airtime compaired to how much of that for the Argus?

Maybe P n p is supplementing their specials by taking the generated income?

Something seems wrong - very wrong.

Ernie Els won a few Mil this weekend and I think only 20ppl were taking part, WTF~!?~?~ and who watches Golf, I mean come the F-ON!?!?!?!

Ernie Els won a few Mil this weekend and I think only 20ppl were taking part' date=' WTF~!?~?~ and who watches Golf, I mean come the F-ON!?!?!?!

[/quote']

nevermind his appearance fee.