Prize Money at Road Races

mallo

before' date=' Lance and Le Mond the tour de France also had poor prize money.  Now it is much better.  To focus just on the prize money without looking at the structure of the entire industry is very narrow minded.  Yes start by getting CSA setting prize money at a minimum percentage of the entry fee or gross turn over of the race.  (Again this will open the debate regarding the role of CSA in PROTECTING riders interests vs EXPLOITING and POLICING riders).  Also CSA could set a a "PRO Tour" structure in RSA with clear instructions wrt service benefits for cyclists  (CSA again taking a regulatory role within the sport- See UCI rules).  Entry in the Pro Tour would require a hefty registration which could be dispersed back to the riders in the form of a purse for "Series" performance.  (Again organisation of the side of the regulator- CSA).

Also money could be allocated for most aggressive riders, longest breaks, hot spots KOM point, team catorgory  ext

Just some ideas.
[/quote']

Some pretty good ideas only 1% of entry fee = almost R100 000 for winner

Nice one Canaris Thumbs%20Up

Yes, sounds good to me. Wonder if Groot Lem has anything to say about this?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No1 has mentioned that they are so proud of donating R5.8m to charity in 2009. This is R152 per rider (assuming 38000 entrants). Firstly, is the PPA a charity or a business? Would love to see their financial statements because I've never understood how they possible aren't lining their pockets... They keep talking about their many many cycling initiatives. Where are they? I've never seen them? Giving 100 disadvantaged kids bikes and kit really doesn't cost that much (relative to their income)...

Why not dump R500k into the prize pot, give R4m back to the cyclists in reduced entries (R105 per cyclist!!!) and you still have a very sizeable donation for Rotary or whoever it is that actually deserves it... And yet they increase the entry fees every year.

Why are we forced to donate so much money to charity just to be able to race in SA. The entry fee should cover the costs and any donations should be voluntary (as in 2 Oceans where you apparently even get to choose who you donate it to!).

It could be worse... I once saw pics of a snowboarding competition held in Lesotho and the 1st Prize was one of those old brown school suitcases filled with zim dollars! hahaha!

But on a serious note... yes R16 000 is pathetic when an event of this nature brings in such huge income.

What a plonker:

"I'm sorry Malcolm feels that way and if any professional riders feel

the same way perhaps they should not enter the race next year... and

whether or not Lance (Armstrong) rode this year it wouldn't make the

prize money any more or any less," said Bellairs.

http://www.capeargus.co.za/?fArticleId=5391032

We all know how much PPA does for charity yet they "PPA" cannot and will not do what Comrades does every year with regards charity for their cyclists.Comrades gives back to the running community and people who support road running.

Besides the organizations they give financial aid to they set-up a runners village for the athletes who otherwise would not be able to run the race. 160 runners from all over the country who can prove their income is less than 3000-00 per month gets driven down to Comrades hosted over four days with food and accommodation provided and driven back to the homes towns after the event.

Not to mention the fancy goodie bags they recieve last year it entailed Nike branded T-shirt Running shorts socks and a peak cap.

What a plonker:

"I'm sorry Malcolm feels that way and if any professional riders feel the same way perhaps they should not enter the race next year... and whether or not Lance (Armstrong) rode this year it wouldn't make the prize money any more or any less' date='" said Bellairs.[/quote']

http://www.capeargus.co.za/?fArticleId=5391032

Thy say the Argus gave almost R5.8m to charity but do a search nothing, no mention on their website of any charities benefitting form the event.   Who is this charities they are giving to, last year R5m was generated for charity but through foundations and individuals I cant find proof of the organizers actually giving any money to charity. But I could be wrong.

QUOTE FROM THE ABOVE ARGUS LINK -

"David Bellairs, co-director for the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust
(CTCTT), which organises the race, said the Cycle Tour was about
generating money for charity and for the development of cycling.

"Last year we gave away R5.8 million to charity and for the
development of cycling. The Comrades marathon is not a charity event,"
said Bellairs.

So how's your bank balance this morning????? 

Great thing he is doing for charities and i commend that, but he also did include "the development of cycling".

To me that means you - the cyclists as well. If it wasn't for you - cycling would be nowhere. Are there those dedicated cycle lanes yet?

On average it takes R1m to build a 2 lane road, 1 km long

I don't know - maybe i'm adding my 2c worth - a far cry from the somewhat 9.8 million generated.

....... and maybe that's what we are just doing....Cry

Who pays for the cycle lanes? Probably the government, not the Argus cycletour... I am not saying there is definitely something funny with it, but I would be very happy to see proof that there isn't as it is a definite possibility.

Every week when I bend over to the PPA with their crazy entry fees, they respond and say it goes to charity... Why can't someone organise a cycling race for cyclists who just want to ride their bikes for fun and not for the greater cause?

I donated money to Frail because the guy he was supporting really deserves it and has probably seriously suffered throughout his life... Buying a development cyclist a new set of Zipp 404's is not quite as high on my priority list.

I know what I say makes me look bad, but I feel very strongly that feeding ppl and giving them houses comes a long way before giving others new racing bikes and professional coaches (things I can't necessarily afford for myself!)

How many permanent employees does the ARGUS employ?

At an annual package of RXXX???

That should be public information or not?

CEO - I guess R250k?

whole support Team?

What does PnP pay over for co-naming rights? That must be a substantial amount as well...

If it is a charity event and you are using the cyclists to raise funds then the financial info should be publically available, you should have nothing to hide...

Who pays for the cycle lanes? Probably the government' date=' not the Argus cycletour... I am not saying there is definitely something funny with it, but I would be very happy to see proof that there isn't as it is a definite possibility.

Every week when I bend over to the PPA with their crazy entry fees, they respond and say it goes to charity... Why can't someone organise a cycling race for cyclists who just want to ride their bikes for fun and not for the greater cause?

I donated money to Frail because the guy he was supporting really deserves it and has probably seriously suffered throughout his life... Buying a development cyclist a new set of Zipp 404's is not quite as high on my priority list.

I know what I say makes me look bad, but I feel very strongly that feeding ppl and giving them houses comes a long way before giving others new racing bikes and professional coaches (things I can't necessarily afford for myself!)
[/quote']

Clap

"David Bellairs' date=' co-director for the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust

(CTCTT), which organises the race, said the Cycle Tour was about

generating money for charity and for the development of cycling.

"Last year we gave away R5.8 million to charity and for the

development of cycling. The Comrades marathon is not a charity event,"

said Bellairs.

Great thing he is doing for charities and i commend that, but he also did include "the development of cycling".

To me that means you - the cyclists as well. If it wasn't for you - cycling would be nowhere. Are there those dedicated cycle lanes yet?

[/quote']

Guys, I've tried to have prizemoney increased for PPA league races a number of years ago. I was told PPA is primarily a funriders organization with a vision of charity at heart. So I scrutenized their financials. Last year they donated over R2.5 mil to abt 39 development projects - money that they got from the Argus event and they get that every year. 39 projects will reach about 5000 previously disadvantaged kids(i'm guessing) and donate about a 1500 bikes.

That's not really a lot and we need to do much more.

Imagine your bike gets taken away from you today - how will your life be tomorrow.

That's more or less what a bike means to somebody who's parents struggle to to put food on the table every day. It's a massive change for them.

There's much more to the financials and I think one should ask the relevant organisations , Rotary etc, directly if you're concerned about the flow of all the money.

I have, and a lot of info was given to me without hesitation.

Blessings,

Naas

"David Bellairs' date=' co-director for the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust (CTCTT), which organises the race, said the Cycle Tour was about generating money for charity and for the development of cycling.

"Last year we gave away R5.8 million to charity and for the development of cycling. The Comrades marathon is not a charity event," said Bellairs.

[/quote']

Guys, I've tried to have prizemoney increased for PPA league races a number of years ago. I was told PPA is primarily a funriders organization with a vision of charity at heart. So I scrutenized their financials. Last year they donated over R2.5 mil to abt 39 development projects - money that they got from the Argus event and they get that every year. 39 projects will reach about 5000 previously disadvantaged kids(i'm guessing) and donate about a 1500 bikes.

That's not really a lot and we need to do much more.

Imagine your bike gets taken away from you today - how will your life be tomorrow.

That's more or less what a bike means to somebody who's parents struggle to to put food on the table every day. It's a massive change for them.

There's much more to the financials and I think one should ask the relevant organisations , Rotary etc, directly if you're concerned about the flow of all the money.

I have, and a lot of info was given to me without hesitation.

Blessings,

Naas

So we are subsidizing 1500 "disadvantaged" cyclist's who'd rather be playing soccer anyway???

I know when I started cycling I had to get a weekend job as a student to pay for my cycling... no charity came my way!

Rant over...

I don't agree with the PPA and Argus giving all that money to charity.

If I wanna give cash to charity - I will. For me I cycle and its important that the cash spend on races go towards the race - better marshaling, better price money and the development of racing in general. Having more tours and more racing - winter league again etc.

Why can they decide to make you pay for charity. Let say a race cost them for example R50 per rider, but they ask R150 or more for the race! Indirect they cover their cost and then just hand all the extra cash to charity....??!

Stupid!. Rather cover cost then put the rest of the cash towards kit for our national team, creating more races, giving bigger race prices.

If anything else - they should scrap the extra amount and make it affordable to race every weekend. So basically cover cost then.

I'd be keen if the ask a little more and then use that to put back into racing etc.

if you want to donate to charity then give to that charity.

Who pays for the cycle lanes? Probably the government' date=' not the Argus cycletour... I am not saying there is definitely something funny with it, but I would be very happy to see proof that there isn't as it is a definite possibility.

[/quote']

Clap

+1 Clap