MTB rim upgrade

nicksa100

Hi,

I'm having a few hassles with my ZTR rims on my Mongoose H/T. I'm running my tyres (Maxxis Crossmark) at just under 2bar, but weighing in at 77kgs, so bottom out every now and then and am finding the ZTR rims just not robust enough. Any suggestions what rims to replace with and who the guys in Jhb to do the job are?

Thanks

Nick

Current wheel setup:

Rims: Stan's ZTR Olympic Disc 32 hole 
Front Hub: Ringle Dirty Flea disc 
Rear Hub: Ringle Dirty Flea disc cassette 
Spokes: Wheelsmith double butted w/ alloy nipples

Try Johan Bornman from Yellow Saddle and ask him to build you a set with Mavic 819 tubeless rims.

What about pumping your tyres up a little more?

You will probably still bottom out no matter what rims you have.

819's are heavy compared to your ZTR's and you can still ding them. Trust me, I know.

Btw, I run Flow rims and have no issues with either. Had Olympics on Moto Lite and Racer X and didn't have issues with them either.

I run 18-22 psi in front and around 25PSI in the back

Pumping them a little harder should solve that problem! I don't think changing the hoops will help much without a little more sky in your tyres.

Btw' date=' I run Flow rims and have no issues with either. Had Olympics on Moto Lite and Racer X and didn't have issues with them either.

I run 18-22 psi in front and around 25PSI in the back[/quote']

We're not talking about guys CARRYING their bikes all over the place!! We're talking about riding them....Big%20smile

We're not talking about guys CARRYING their bikes all over the place!! We're talking about riding them....

I had that coming... smiley18.gif

What pressure should one ride with tubeless wheels.  Does it depends on the terrain and weight of rider. 

soory for hyjack

We're not talking about guys CARRYING their bikes all over the place!! We're talking about riding them....

I had that coming... smiley18.gif

LOLLOLLOL

seriously, that is like way ,way under 2bar!! you probably don't even notice a flat tyre - should one occur!!

I'm riding around 2.2bar and I have to constantly look down to see if I don't have  flat!! takes some getting used to...

I've upped it a bit...running 20-25front and 25-28 rear! Still less than 2 bars! YOU should be in the air, not the air in you!

Highest I've ever run ZTR rims was when I was running non-tubeless tires (remember those days...aahhh suckers we were!) on my Mojo. Too low pressure and they would roll on the sidewall, so I had to pump them 30psi front and 35 rear. Still quite low, but was too much for me.

Thanks for input guys. I'll most probably change. Lost the faith with those rims. Will throw some more air in however going fwd.

Bottoming out has got nothing to do with the rim you're running. The amount of damage the rim sustains - yes.

But I have to say if you're bottoming out at 65k's running 24psi something else is up. Bike set-up, riding style or something like that. Will be worth looking into