Help: 6Bolt vs Centerlock

IdeJongh

Hey guys - NOOB question (but I got to learn)

Im looking at buying new rims via CRC, getting a second set of wheels for racing.

So the wheels have centerlock hubs, but all the rotors I see, seem to be 6bolt?  Do i need centerlock rotors, how would I know if they were centerlock (cuz their not labelled that way)?  What are 'splined' rotors..?

Big%20smile

Centre lock hubs can take 6-bolt discs if you use an adapter. By just looking at hubs you can easily see if they are centre-lock or 6-bolt. Splined discs are tha same as centre-lock.

20100415_010012_TECH_Rotor_type.jpg

Then only advantage I can see is that if you need to change your rotor in a hurry, a centre lock will be quicker. Apart from that, they function the same. The centrelock to 6 bolt adaptors will set you back about R300 for a set though.

I recently changed from 6 bolt hubs to centre locks, I really like the simplicity of it even though the rotors are a bit heavier but I'm slowly getting over my weight phobia........

personally I think centre lock would be more popular if it wasn't a 'shimano idea'

I wish that manufacturers would stick to some kind of standard! I just don't see why 6 bolt systems are even used when there is such a thing as centerlock.

I wish that manufacturers would stick to some kind of standard! I just don't see why 6 bolt systems are even used when there is such a thing as centerlock.

Some one once told me "why fix it when it ain't broken". That and patent fees. Why pay for something then an alternative is for free.

Im looking at buying new rims via CRC' date=' getting a second set of wheels for racing.

So the wheels have centerlock hubs, but all the rotors I see, seem to be 6bolt?  Do i need centerlock rotors, how would I know if they were centerlock (cuz their not labelled that way)?  What are 'splined' rotors..?

Big%20smile

[/quote']

What wheels are you gonna get?

How's the racing and training going?

Some one once told me "why fix it when it ain't broken". That and patent fees. Why pay for something then an alternative is for free.

I hear what you're saying - but given the choice, I would not go for 6 bolt, thus putting 6 bolt systems out of use.

Nie noodwendig nie. Ek dink nie die een sisteem het rerig 'n voordeel bo die ander nie as dit kom by performance of gewig nie. Dit gaan eintlik maar net oor hoe maklik jy dit kan verwyder.

Nadeel van die centerlock is seker maar dat jy 'n "spesiale" spanner nodig het vir dit. Maar koop gerus een en sommer 'n chain whip tool - dan kan jy jou cassette ook afhaal.

Im looking at buying new rims via CRC' date=' getting a second set of wheels for racing.

Big%20smile

[/quote']

What wheels are you gonna get?

How's the racing and training going?

Getting Mavic Crosstrails, going to be awesome.  So badly want to buy local, so much easier + local is lekker, but complete wheelset 40% cheaper via CRC (after vat), so just makes sense.

Training picking up now, after Sabie Classic went on holiday a bit so had some well needed time off.  Probably doing Route 42 on Sunday? Got a partner for SabieX - very fit guy going to have to train my butt off till Dec.

Hows your training going?  When you racing again?

Getting Mavic Crosstrails' date=' going to be awesome.  So badly want to buy local, so much easier + local is lekker, but complete wheelset 40% cheaper via CRC (after vat), so just makes sense.

Training picking up now, after Sabie Classic went on holiday a bit so had some well needed time off.  Probably doing Route 42 on Sunday? Got a partner for SabieX - very fit guy going to have to train my butt off till Dec.

[/quote']

Nice wheels. I will maybe buy some new hoops next year. BIG MAYBE. The DT Swiss X1800 is not light - but neither am I...But they do their job!

Also racing Sunday. Doing the 75km. Then taking some time off to go and get married in CPT, coming back and doing the Lionman.

Getting Mavic Crosstrails' date=' going to be awesome.  So badly want to buy local, so much easier + local is lekker, but complete wheelset 40% cheaper via CRC (after vat), so just makes sense.

[/quote']

Nice wheels. I will maybe buy some new hoops next year. BIG MAYBE. The DT Swiss X1800 is not light - but neither am I...But they do their job!

Also racing Sunday. Doing the 75km. Then taking some time off to go and get married in CPT, coming back and doing the Lionman.

Jip, will be doing the 75 as well.  Strange distances this year.  If its a tough race they normally have a 75 and a 45, with a 60 and 30 for easier races, but here either you have to kill yourself at the 75, or not get your HR up at the 30.  Either way looking forward, did the 60km last year and this is where i had my first real wipeout. DeadEmbarrassed