Weight of bike VS weight of rider.

jugheaddave

Which guy is the spec's from?

Mileage's data comes from a sample of 56 lightweights who competed at the Sydney Olympics (though they're probably out-of-competition measurements since the mean weight is 72.5kg).

What's interesting is only 5% of them are shorter than 1.76m.

For heavyweights, the mean mass is around 94kg and mean height is 1.93m. Mean flexed arm girth is 36.5cm.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks BR-L, that was an interesting read, you have obviously thought this all through before.

I was not really going to try to take 2kg off my bike, it was just hypothetical.

However, I am contemplating taking 5kg of my beer belly...

I'm 187cm and 80 kg but I'd weigh a bit less if I was able to ride as often as I liked. I have found that after  along layoff but remaining light (staying off the beers and fatty food) I feel noticably better on the hills than when i've got back into training after picking up a few kg's. You can feel the difference very easily.

Lose the gut then worry about the bike. You're just sacrificing reliability and spending a lot of cash where you could be saving money by eating less with the same result :-)

Once you have reached Ideal weight then play with your equipment.

One noticeable trend is for many people to train on clunker single speeds, and then race on the fancy bikes.

I'm buying an alum hardtail frame off someone on the hub, I'm 1.79m tall, the only problem is I'm weighing 92kg, so I need to lose at least 15kg's

Once you have reached Ideal weight then play with your equipment.

I've been playing with my equipment even before I reached my ideal weight. I'm actually starting to look at stuff on the bike to trim weight from.

Hi

On the issue around body weight. Surely the physiology of a person would determine whether they will be a  good cyclist or not. I'm 1.87m tall and if I allow my body weight to drop below 77kg I will look ridiculous

So your height really determines how much weight you could  afford to lose. I've noticed quite a few of the elites weighing <70kg

Was wandering whether any cyclist has done a sub 3 Argus weighing > 80kg

True. Look at what Magnus Backstedt was weighing. He was just shy of 2m tall and weighed 97kg and he was a mean racer.

you just brought a tear to my eye! i weight 95kg and thought all hope was lost!

Everyone tends to over complicate weight.

Dragging your weight up a hill (you and the bike) is dictated by this formula.

Work = force X distance.

Force is effectively weight (newtons rather than kg)

Distance is the vertical height o the hill

Work is the amount of energy required to lift you and your bike the vertical height (distance) of the hill.

Whatever saving you make to body, bike or wheels saves the same amount of energy.

Lighter wheels only make a difference during acceleration and braking.

Ha-Ha!

I am 1.87 and weigh 93kg and you know what?........I am sure I will kick most asses on climbs and on a bench press!!

I can actualy walk on the beach without a shirt and feel proud and nobody is trying to fatten me upLOLEvil%20Smile

Same here, 1.86 and this mornign 93KG. Doing only MTB.

Specific to MTB I think the ideal for me will be just below 90KG. This means though that I am not refering to full on racing with the elite guys but being able to post respectable times. Also feeling comfortable in your own skin I supose.

What's your guys' view on specific to MTB?

Same here' date=' 1.86 and this mornign 93KG. Doing only MTB.Specific to MTB I think the ideal for me will be just below 90KG. This means though that I am not refering to full on racing with the elite guys but being able to post respectable times. Also feeling comfortable in your own skin I supose. What's your guys' view on specific to MTB? [/quote']

Maybe you should cut your hair, or straighten at least! That would help! smiley2.gif

"Feeling comfortable in your own skin" What!? are you a woman now!?! smiley36.gif

LOUgende, my logic tells me that the less weight you have to drag with your bike the easier you will ride. As long as you are burning fat whilst training, and not muscle, you will become lighter without losing any power.

Same here' date=' 1.86 and this mornign 93KG. Doing only MTB.Specific to MTB I think the ideal for me will be just below 90KG. This means though that I am not refering to full on racing with the elite guys but being able to post respectable times. Also feeling comfortable in your own skin I supose. What's your guys' view on specific to MTB? [/quote']

Maybe you should cut your hair, or straighten at least! That would help! smiley2.gif

"Feeling comfortable in your own skin" What!? are you a woman now!?! smiley36.gif

LOUgende, my logic tells me that the less weight you have to drag with your bike the easier you will ride. As long as you are burning fat whilst training, and not muscle, you will become lighter without losing any power.

"People who live in glass houses should not

throw stones"

AND

Thats why I got a lighter bike, not a HEAVY GT! By lighter I mean Merida!

who gives a flying koeksister about the weight. Just get on your bike and RIDE !

but of course power to weight ratios per human make more of an impact that the R100000000 seat post that looses 0.000001g of bike weight.

who gives a flying koeksister about the weight. Just get on your bike and RIDE !

but of course power to weight ratios per human make more of an impact that the R100000000 seat post that looses 0.000001g of bike weight.

It all depends on your cycling aims. I missed the podium at the last national by 18 seconds. I probably have 2kg spread around my body that can be lost.

It would probably have got me a podium.

But it would have negated many a pint of Guinness and a load of chocolate.

Hmmmm tough call....

do heavy wheels on a mountain bike make that much difference. i also ride with a camel back and my spares in the camel back. would it be better to ride with bottles or as a relative novice does it not make a difference?

This is what I try to do, on longer training rides, I ride with my camelbak MULE, and I load that bad boy up to the gills, everything goes with, jacket food, 3l of fluid ect (plus one full bottle on my bike).

When I race, I just take bottle/bottles. I definitely think I can feel a huge difference on race day with less weight on my back!

were this is psychological or not, I don't care, the fact is I feel faster!!!!