World Cup - disruption to other sport

The Guy in Pink

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The quicker the tournament starts the quicker we can recover from the shame for being the only host country ever not to make it past the 1st round.

Come now..we did kick some stoned Jamaican ass this week...LOL

The quicker the tournament starts the quicker we can recover from the shame for being the only host country ever not to make it past the 1st round.

Come now..we did kick some stoned Jamaican ass this week...LOL

the weed in Germany wasn't up to scratch....Smile

I see it like this..you can either be a miserable sour ass for the next two months. Or you can try to enjoy it..wichever way it goes.

Guest Agteros

This soccer thing must get to an end now. I'm fed-up with all these ads and talk regarding the worldcup. So what!!! They are going to play soccer and the host nation is going to be spectators.

The only people that will enjoy this worldcup is the criminal element in this country. Sad but true. 

Thats a bit of a sore statement Onetime!! Shocked

ShockedIt is going to boost our country hosting it' date=' even if we don't enjoy football it is still a good thing for the economy!!

[/quote']

Not true, very few countries actually make money out of hosting these big events. Normally the 'loss' gets written down as 'marketing' and such nonsense.

SA does not need marketing, there are enough buffoons giving us (bad) marketing.

What SA need to do is focus on service delivery and infrastructure maintenance  ... Money (which we do not have - think loan from World Bank for Eskom) has been diverted to this 'marketing' fiasco.

We are a poor country - Running a NHI will cost ALL out tax money for example. For some reason we want to keep up with the Jones'. This will come back to haunt us, just like living above your means will haunt anybody else.

I've noticed more people getting into the SWC vibe recently- maybe more people have realised that regardless of their personal sentiment, the event is still going ahead so if you cant beat them, join them.

Personally I'm not a big soccer fan, but I hope that those that are have a good, safe event and that I can still get a seat at my favourite coffee shop after a pedal during the 2 months

The best part is that the schools will be closed for a month and traffic is gonna be heaven.

what soccer tournament?

Think its the Bulls and Sundowners. But i agree, cant wait for it to be over.

This soccer thing must get to an end now. I'm fed-up with all these ads and talk regarding the worldcup. So what!!! They are going to play soccer and the host nation is going to be spectators.

The only people that will enjoy this worldcup is the criminal element in this country. Sad but true. 

It's sad but trueClap

Personally I'm not a big soccer fan' date=' but I hope that those that are have a good, safe event and that I can still get a seat at my favourite coffee shop after a pedal during the 2 months
[/quote']

As long as you only intend to pedal informally with friends etc you should be able to.  But some of the organised events you may have wished to pedal in may not be  taking place this year.

Thats a bit of a sore statement Onetime!! Shocked
ShockedIt is going to boost our country hosting it' date=' even if we don't enjoy football it is still a good thing for the economy!!
[/quote']

Not true, very few countries actually make money out of hosting these big events. Normally the 'loss' gets written down as 'marketing' and such nonsense.

SA does not need marketing, there are enough buffoons giving us (bad) marketing.

What SA need to do is focus on service delivery and infrastructure maintenance  ... Money (which we do not have - think loan from World Bank for Eskom) has been diverted to this 'marketing' fiasco.

We are a poor country - Running a NHI will cost ALL out tax money for example. For some reason we want to keep up with the Jones'. This will come back to haunt us, just like living above your means will haunt anybody else.

I agree there. Mandela and co, knowing that they have a 100% useless workforce, striking, and non - deliverance, thought they were gonna make a huge financial kill and erradicate all debt, and create millions of jobs.

(Rather, if you want to uplift the country, get rid of the unions, make it possible to open factories and manufacture products, because that makes money, hard work. And close the Chinaman down). Which doen't happen, as one 5 week positive won't kill 16 years(rather 500 years) because Africa hasn't been anywhere , apart from when the white man came here and that diminishing quickly, look at Zim. The tourists haven't come in their millions, becaue, you can't come to watch a game or two, you must buy a tour of games, 5-7 OF them, or travel with the team. That costs money, and your average weekend football fan in Europe doensn't have that money! All thats gonna happen, SA's ripping of SA! FiFA smiles all the way to the bank, and the TAX payers' gonna cough up for the White Elephant Soccer stadiums. Which won't be maintained as soon as the world cup has past. So people, prepare yourself for higher taxes in the next year or 25!
cervelo2010-04-30 01:56:59

C'mon guys its going to be great, the biggest sporting event in the world in our country it can only be awesome. South African's need to stop being so pesimistic every time something good is on the horizon, stop being so selfish and worrying because a race is cancelled. 

C'mon guys its going to be great' date=' the biggest sporting event in the world in our country it can only be awesome. South African's need to stop being so pesimistic every time something good is on the horizon, stop being so selfish and worrying because a race is cancelled.  [/quote']

It's not about now,it's what happens after the games are played and everyone goes home...except the 3 million plus africans that came into SA to seek there riches.they not going home....what's that going to do to the Crime.

It's about the transport systems that suck and when the tourists get home and complain about the lack of it and how dirty it is.

The list is endless....

Guest Agteros

C'mon guys its going to be great' date=' the biggest sporting event in the world in our country it can only be awesome. South African's need to stop being so pessimistic every time something good is on the horizon, stop being so selfish and worrying because a race is canceled. 

[/quote']

Nothing to do with that... We have people burning down municipal buildings in desperation and frustration because we do not have the money to delivery municipal services to them... But fear not... We are going to host the Soccer world Cup!

Really, how will this World Cup be of benefit to the people waiting for the above?