tacx - aaargh

Guttersnipe

I'm getting fat and slow in my Johannesburg exile, so I thought I'd lock myself in a winter training binge with my fancy new tacx bushido.

Because I'm a Mac guy, and I figured the VR software and real life videos would tax Parallels/Bootcamp too heavily, I bought a fast PC especially to run the thing.

But it doesn't. Because the system, bought six weeks ago, was supplied by Coolheat with software that won't work on 64 bit windows 7, and so out of date that there is no upgrade path.

Here's hoping they sort it out because right now I am weeping tears of extremely expensive frustration.

Downgrade to 32-bit Windows 7 or even XP?

64-bit is really only when you have some special apps that need the additional address space that it provides

Alot of apps don't work on 64 bit.  What you can try is run a 32 bit VM in windows and install XP on the VM if you don't want to replace your current OS.

I have a Tacx Fortius, I run the software on my Apple MacBook Pro using VMware Fusion. Runs ok, just sometimes it stops I then have to unplug the USB connection plug it back in and then continue with the ride. I use mostly the virtual reality videos. I have used it on a laptop running windows and works with no problems.

if you if win 7 Pro, there is a free win XP virtual machine which might solve your dilemma. That way, you keep your win 7 installation, but have a virtual machine to handle legacy software like that of your tacx.

Have you contact tacx support to find out if they have some sort of win 7 compatibility patch?

I have a Tacx imagic. Struggled like hell as it froze-up regularly. Then realised that you must use 1 dedicated USB only for Tacx. Any other usb device such as a memory stick etc, will change the Tacx drivers linked to a specific usb on your pc. That  USB will then only work properly, if you reinstall the Taxc USB drivers. I use Tacx trainer software, with all my Garmin 705 routes and courses on it through google earth. Works beautifully in 3d

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think at the heart of my frustration is that I would be sold software that is so out of date you can't do the regular upgrades that sort out the seemingly infamous Tacx bugs. So first prize is to get Coolheat to swap out the software disc. Failing that - which really shouldn't happen - I'll partition the drive and run XP.

I have a Tacx imagic. Struggled like hell as it froze-up regularly. Then realised that you must use 1 dedicated USB only for Tacx. Any other usb device such as a memory stick etc' date=' will change the Tacx drivers linked to a specific usb on your pc. That  USB will then only work properly, if you reinstall the Taxc USB drivers. I use Tacx trainer software, with all my Garmin 705 routes and courses on it through google earth. Works beautifully in 3d

[/quote']

I am looking for the trainer software where did you get it, cool heat doesnt have it.

AFAIK Bushido does not ship with software, you have to purchase the ant stick and TTS software seperately, latest version is 2.0, which started to ship in November 2009. If you were sold the ver 1.3 only 6 weeks ago you should ask for the latest, the dealer that sold to you should know better. Ver 2 is still buggy but much better than 1.3. It does run on 64bit Windows 7.

Also update the Bushido firmware to the latest version once you get TTS sorted. Just make sure that you understand the procedure before you start with it, it is quite tricky.

I have a Tacx imagic. Struggled like hell as it froze-up regularly. Then realised that you must use 1 dedicated USB only for Tacx. Any other usb device such as a memory stick etc' date=' will change the Tacx drivers linked to a specific usb on your pc. That  USB will then only work properly, if you reinstall the Taxc USB drivers. I use Tacx trainer software, with all my Garmin 705 routes and courses on it through google earth. Works beautifully in 3d [/quote']
I am looking for the trainer software where did you get it, cool heat doesnt have it.

Buy it from Tacx online. Roughly 80 euros.

I'm on 32 bit win7, just changed from xp. I had to run all the updates from 2004 and change to 16 bit colour and it runs fine now having had the problems you describe.

Check out the forums on the Tacx site there's huge amounts on this.  Oh yeah I had to follow a link from there to get drivers that would work too. Bit cumbersome but well worth it now.