"How much does it weigh" questions are silly

LazyTrailRider

hahaha mr g i realised these last few weeks i'm a closet wiehgt weenie! i'm out of the closet now' date=' however - it never bothered me, untill someone said 'R900 for every kg you're overweight' ... i've weight-weenie'd myself into being almost a kg underweight on check-in baggage (but shock-pump might have to travel with) and over 3 kgs of handluggage that can take extra. Big%20smile  
on the bike, a different shock and the trance's wheels made a kilo and a half difference ... and off the bike there's a LOT of opportunities to save weight. i can tell you that a salomon 20l bag is 200g lighter than a camelback 25 liter bag ... and my favourite fox shirt stays at home, cos it's 50g heavier than my second-favourite capestorm one. Big%20smile  oh, yes, and the dettol sample-soap that i got in some or other goodie-bag is a few grams lighter than the protex-one from a different goodie-bag from another event - AND it's got moisurisers in Big%20smile

3 cheers for weight weenies!!
[/quote']

Do you also wash your your hands repeatedly? Relock your car three times after parking it? Compulsive Obsessive ring a bell?

Isn't there enough crap to worry about in this life of ours, real stuff rather than spending time trying to save half a kilo. I would be interested to test some normal( most of us) riders on two bikes that weight half a kilo difference and see the actual performance difference.  Not sure the rider would be that aware of the " much lighter" bike.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few things of note:

Everyone has different reasons/goals/whatever for riding.

I bought a really nice lightweight good component roadbike and that was it. Only thing I've changed in the last year since I had it was the tyres.

MTB on the other hand is a sport/past time/hobby/passion for me.  I like spending time on the bike, making it better and more race orientated.

I could spend all my money on take-aways, sigarettes, booze, dietpills, games, movies, tv's etc.  But I'd rather spend it on my hobby, because at least it also makes me healthy, meet likeminded people, develop some skills etc.

I'm not a pro, but am rather competitive in the smaller races and when I got a new lighter bike, my times did improve, so why not spend money, if I have extra for the month, on one of the things I love most.

And no, I'm not 20kg overweight. I could lose 2/3kg, but I'm working on that.

Peace out.

Buy a exspencive MTB weight 10kg. Ride through the mud and add another 1kg now the bike weighs 11kg, you now have to finish the race with a 11kg bike.LOL

Reasons for asking this question:

1.  It would appear that some guys/gals are only interested in getting the "Posts number count" up and therefore ask silly questions or make irrelevant remarks.

2.  Hey' date=' at least he/she feels they are participating in the Forum and the time on the web is not a total waste.

3.  Initially (a few months back when I joined the Hub) this sounded like a propa question to ask.  When in Rome...

4.  You have nothing better to ask.

5.  It's an escape code for when you do not have the bucks to buy it.  Sorry, my current one is lighter.

6.  For the 2% (80% of all statistics are a thumb suck) that does not just enjoy MTB and want to win at all cost, this is a ligit question.

By the way, I have no idea what my 2005 dual sus weighs.  But loving every second I'm on it.  And yes, I can (and should) loose about 4kg around my waste.  But hey, at least a smile and wave to all (including roadies) cyclists when I pass them (or they pass me,  more likely) on the bike.
[/quote']

if it bothers you this much, then just don't read it???

Exactly!

Maybe we should start a post about how silly it it posting about how silly it is asking the weight.

Different things make people tick. I don't care about the weight of my dual susp mtb, because I don't compete, or not yet, in mtbing. I bought a second hand Fuji Marseile pro and love to upgrade. Upgrading is sort of a hobby. I think most of the mtbikers don't understand the "How much does it weigh" q. I bet if you serch you will see that most roadies ask this q about rd bikes.

As I said, I love competing, and if I didn't compete against better times I would have given up cycling years ago.

So, if the "How much does it weigh" q bugs you, read the first word and the last of the sentence it it might just bug you 60% less.

Cheers

You know what, sometimes you win on the Hub and sometimes you lose, now it has become quite bloody clear that  99 % of bike industry is about saving weight- So if you fall in the 1 % I'm really happy for you and your weight choices in life, just back the hell off  - signed         the other 99 %Nuke

think ill join the 1% and put see if i can get permatubes to make a comeback :D

Gents / Ladies, i couldnt care less, till i get into serious competition racing, medium class bike with a medium wheight ant a medium price makes me happy every weekend :)

So i refuse to obsess at this stage about that fork thats 50 grams less but R5000 more epensive.

Each to his own, if you want to obsess about wheight excellent, if you dont excellent.

Everyone has different priorities and ride for different reasons, so why are people so offended if not everyone around them has wet dreams about lighter components?

But loving every second I'm on it.

if it bothers you this much' date=' then just don't read it???
[/quote']

Exactly!

Maybe we should start a post about how silly it it posting about how silly it is asking the weight.

Big%20smile Doesn't bother me at all.  Been a very amusing thread.  Now let's drop the aggression, put some bum cream on the sensitive bits and see ya at Groenies tomorrow.Wink

how much does your sister weigh ? Wink

She is light and mean, just like the bikes and riders she likesLOL

PS Covie- you seem to obsess alot about other people obsessing???

We are not obsessed- we just want light bikes -simple!

I was simply putting down my opinion G thought thats what a forum was for? If not i stand corrected my humble appologies.

I understand the 1 % really, just don't get how they obsess about people who obsess and then say how can you be so obsessive????Just say you don't worry about it-full stop.

Just to put it out there, just like fat people say they can't bother to watch what they eat, they would rather be fat and happy.

Well lets make it clear, it's not one or the other- you can worry about weight in what ever form bike or your ass  and enjoy every minute of it!

If you are unfit a light bike is not going to get you up a hill faster (we're not talking msecs) - loose some weight and put in some saddle time fat ASS!

If you are scared a heavy bike is not going to get you down the hill faster - get some balls you sissy.

For the average Joe (fun rider) good maintenance to ensure everything is working optimally is more important that saving a few grams - be a man and get some grease under your fingernails.

What does it weight is and will remain a stupid question!

If you are unfit a light bike is not going to get you up a hill faster (we're not talking msecs) - loose some weight and put in some saddle time fat ASS!

If you are scared a heavy bike is not going to get you down the hill faster - get some balls you sissy.

For the average Joe (fun rider) good maintenance to ensure everything is working optimally is more important that saving a few grams - be a man and get some grease under your fingernails.

What does it weight is and will remain a stupid question!

Not if you have a slim ass, big balls and still want to be faster- stupid comment!

What you need to do is buy the absolute lightest components you can get at the highest price. Then take them to an engineering shop and have them drilled, taking into account the stresses - front to back on the seat posts, side to side on the cranks, etc. Of course, this leaves un-aerodynamic surfaces, so have the whole thing surfaced with an infintisimal 0,35mg plastic skin, because those little ripples of air will slow you down. Be sure to shave on the day of the race and avoid pimples because they too disturb the slipstream. A coating of Vaseline over your body may aid the process and allow you to obtain your optimum time of 5.5 hours on a PPA funride.